Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Mission accomplished

Troops being pulled from elsewhere right into ambushes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They'll probably pull troops mostly from across the river in Kherson rather then the Zaporozhye front. Might be an opportunity for Ukrainian marines to secure a decent bridgehead across the river again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So Ukraine can redraw slowly from Kursk while still fighting, there's no defensive positions but they can still inflict damage on advancing reinforcements. I'd love to see a push on the frontline where Russia have moved troops from.

End of the day, it be easier and less costly for Ukraine to kill Russian soldiers on Russian soil!

We may be starting to see the reason behind this tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Economics101

Maybe yes. But the scenario you set out is totally bizarre, and not only because of the danger of a nuclear resonse. Why on earth would Ukraine waste valuable manpower on such an adventure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And what condition are these troops in regarding armoir morale etc seems they can’t make much advances on the frontline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's also been reported on Sky and elsewhere. I'm aware of info in the rest of your post and only wanted to know the details of the incident, hoping that the Russians didn't do any or much damage to the Ukrainians. There still don't appear to be any details anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Which troops are you asking about.

If Ukraine actually have the manpower to extend the frontline like this it could get interesting. I'm actually surprised Russia has wasted so many troops trying to attack the most fortified areas over the last 9 month's. Surely they'd have been better off attacking the less fortified border with Ukraine.

If they've largely exhausted their army and Ukraine has preserved theirs this could turn out to be huge. Russia would need another massive mobilization and I don't think the economy would react to well to that. Or the average Joeski.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Roald Dahl

A very observant poster on Twitter noticed that it appears to be the Lubyanka in the background. And this is indeed where these two bozos seem to be bringing this poor, old man to for denunciation.

Does the KGB still operate its torture chambers out of the basement there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

The average Joeski will react how Putin tells them to. Putin may not have prosecuted the war itself so well but it looks like he's been quite efficient in quelling domestic dissent. The demonstrations of dissatisfaction which do pop up, you soon don't hear about anymore.

However, I welcome the Russian people to prove me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Really starting to get this attack from Ukraine

• The Sudzha gas junction and electrical junctions are strategically important
    • It's drawing Russian units from elsewhere on the front
    • It's a big morale boost for Ukraine
    • If (and that's a big if) Ukraine can hold some of this territory, it will be used in any future negotiations
    • It's exposing consequences of the war to actual Russians (which Russian state media is struggling to contain)
    • It's another massive embarrassment for the Russian leadership
    • Russian army is 2nd best army in the world in Ukraine in Russia
    • Even if Ukraine is pushed back or has to leave, it will tie up many more units to guard Russia's long exposed border

There are big risks for Ukraine in this, but as long as they keep that avenue to Ukraine open, then they can always do a strategic retreat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

"There are big risks for Ukraine in this"

Not to carp , but what big risks are there apart from being overextended and so surrounded?

Were you thinking of other additional major dangers in this operation?

Political risks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Add POWs to your list. Several hundred Russians captured alive and treated with a certain amount of dignity are going to be making phone calls home to their families painting a very different picture of the situation to that described by the Kremlin. Ukraine is doing everything it can to make sure Ukrainian families get all of their people back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I think Ukraine could have stretched further and more quickly but would have been massively exposed. There's a discipline in how they've conducted the operation so far that has held them back as much as any stubborn Russian defensive lines both of which they crossed in the first 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Russian soldiers can make all the calls home they want but it would a hell of a lot more to get the people to actually do something under the conditions they live under Putin .There is still little sign that the more well heeled Russians are being affected much by the distant war , unless that changes the people will do nothing only take in what Putin puts out unfortunately.

Last week more captured than Russians in a year

Multiple reports of a train carrying tanks being ambushed

Any other reports?How trustworthy is that twitter report ? I just see speculation in it.

Fingers crossed ,though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭rogber

Who are these "pro Russian" posters you're talking about? All I see are people asking genuine questions about a bold move the logic of which was quite unclear at the start, but which is now becoming more apparent as an active and hopefully successful attempt to "destabilise" Russia.

At the same time, I remember during the Prigozhin uprising people creaming themselves in excitement, predicting a popular uprising and Putin's imminent downfall. We know how that one ended. Still very unclear how this one will play out. It's an extremely ballsy move by the Ukrainians though, no arguing with that, but none of us know how it will end

Post edited by rogber on

So many of these twitter claims turn out to be wild exaggerations aimed at boosting morale. BBC more reliable source and much more restrained in its claims

Indeed,I view the BBC par excellence as going through all the online reports and trying to verify them(not just publishing reports immediately so as to get a scoop)

Imagine if we didn't have them and their team of online checkers.

It would be the cacophony of the Tower of Babel(still is but they and their likes can apply some sort of a brake)

.(I know they had censorship during WW2...)

• Advertisement

Yes, it's not perfect and sometimes might even be a bit slower to confirm things, but I'll take that over random twitter dudes who'll post anything sensational for the sake of a few clicks often without providing any reliable source, knowing someone gullible will repost.

I expect it'll be another week or two till we get any in depth insight into what has happened this week, particularly as the situation is clearly still rapidly evolving with minimum official communication about it. Will be fascinating when the full background does emerge

BBC took 6 days to even admit there are Ukrainians in Kursk and only after a statement by Zelensky saying so

You keep making statements that this is

1. Attempt to grab land and hold it
    2. Attempt to destabilise Russia

Has the BBC confirmed this?

IMHO this clearly is an attempt to relieve pressure from other areas, areas where throwing more troops into meatgrinder would have just played into Russian “rules of the game” and Ukraine said **** that and made up new “rules” by literally thinking outside the box

If I go back to that time Russians tried to reach Kharkiv in a few days will I also find “genuine questions” from you or more rhetoric that very closely matches what comes out of Kremlin at the time?

There has been no official statements as to aims of this “special military operation” all I can go on is its effects on Russia which are as per evidence we see daily

• pulling troops from elsewhere
    • chaos in Kursk
    • Putin and his generals looking like right fools

Actually you're wrong about that as well, it ran an article at least 4 days ago reporting on Kursk at a time when Zelensky's office was refusing to confirm anything. At least do a bit of research before posting such nonsense:

I never claimed Ukraine was trying to grab land and hold it. On the contrary, I said surely that can't be the plan as it didn't seem realistic.

As for "destabilising" Russia, that's an official quote directly from reliable Ukrainian sources in a story on the guardian, another source I generally trust (or do you think that's a Kremlin mouthpiece as well? Wouldn't surprise me if you do...):

As for the last part of your post, I actually agree completely based on the picture emerging. I think it's a great move, I just hope it all works out and as many Ukrainian soldiers as possible get out alive when it's over.

It’s a bit disingenuous to insist on “has BBC confirmed it” line in one post and in next post go off and quote a different publication yourself

But that’s the last I am engaging with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Denys Davydov has suggested that most of the 650km² is probably "grey zone" rather than fully controlled, and that some/many of the more remote settlements have probably just been visited by reconnaisance forces, not actually conquered.

However, perhaps Ukraine is thinking that, if they clear any particular town or townland of regular Russian military and police, they can hand control over to members of the Free Russia Legion/Russian Volunteer Corps while they move on to other things.

There's also the possibility that either the UAF or the FRL/RVC might send someone up the road to have a "friendly chat" with the lads in the next garrison and offer them the choice of all expenses paid trip to Ukraine if they hand over the keys quickly, or a have a swarm of FPV drones and a Himars or two visit them that evening.

I would like to think that Budanov & Co. took the trouble to learn lessons from Prigozhin's escapade and figured out an effective not-so-lethal strategy for making slower but more durable progress towards Moscow. In reality, all they really need is a 50-100km buffer zone along the whole border and any negotiations will get a whole lot simpler.

If Ukraine has good contacts with any kind of guerrilla group or armed anti-Putin resistance cells inside Russia now is the time to call them into action.

It's a huge roll of the dice and they have to maximise it.

Love this quote:

Oleksiy Goncharenko - a Ukrainian MP - hailed the operation and said it was "taking us much closer to peace than one hundred peace summits".

"When Russia needs to fight back on their own territory, when Russian people are running, when people care, that's the only way to show them stop this war," he told the BBC.

Damn right to, let the silent majority in Russia feel what it's like.

• Advertisement

Yes I just saw that .

You have to feel for the poor innocent Russians though

"Foreign ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova accused Kyiv of "intimidating the peaceful population of Russia"

(from.the BBC story)

Advertisement