Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope. Where in my posts did I accuse you of being Russian? Well? Go back and re-read them.

Why did you leave this part out of the article if you wanted to get an idea of what is happening in Ukraine and convey information about the Russian economy?

"But is this war led growth sustainable in the long run? Most economists would disagree."

You cherry picked out the parts that portray Russia in a favourable light. That's misrepresentation.

It's the conclusion of the article, pretty important part to leave out if you're discussing Russia's economy.

Also, the article was published before today's chaos, it is already been superseded by events.

Why is it that your "just asking questions" tend to be loaded with a premise that is favourable to Russia, negative to Ukraine \ Western backers. That's not a coincidence.

Multiple posters have engaged with you, pointed out the information on their economy statistics such as GDP cannot be verified. You've shown zero interest in engaging with them, just asking more questions, playing the victim… but we're supposed to believe you're just here to learn more about the war? Simply not a credible claim from your posts.

But if you are just here to learn about the war, it is reasonable to ask your view of the war, do you condemn without reservation Russia's illegal war of aggression and plunder in Ukraine, both the act of the invasion and the way in which they have conducted the war, through war crime and atrocity? That Ukraine is the innocent victim of Russian aggression, entitled to defend itself, and that Western countries should be aiding Ukraine in their defence as per their ability to do so? That it would be a negative thing for peace and rules based order in Europe were Russia to be rewarded for such an illegal invasion?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Didn’t i predict earlier that it’s only a matter of time before someone pops along to tell us about the impeding collapse of the dollar

on a day where there’s bank runs in Russia and there’s no longer officially possible to exchange roubles for dollars/euro only a black market rate

Gosh so predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭engineerws

It's the world bank reporting the data, e.g.

In Russia, growth picked up to 3.6 percent in 2023—a 1 percentage point upward revision from January’s estimate. The upgrade largely reflects stronger-than-expected private demand, supported by subsidized mortgages, fiscal measures, and a tight labor market (figure 2.2.1.B). Increased military expenditures also boosted activity. After cuts in early 2024, oil production hovered around 9.2 mb/d in the second quarter, down by 0.4 mb/d from 2023 (IEA 2024).

Are you saying that Putin controls the world bank🫨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

• Advertisement

They send the report to the world bank and imf

There’s isn’t some sort of delegation of suited accountants and auditors that arrives every year into the Kremlin and audits the books 🤣

This is the same country that claimed to have destroyed …. 14,000 Ukrainian tanks

My sympathies lie with Ireland.

I think the USA, Russia and Ukraine should sit down together and knock out a deal. Surely that's the logical thing to do?

As for how I see it, the more Ukraine fights the more they are losing.

It seems a bit stupid now but I was trying to get a gauge on how the war is going. Sounds awful really considering the loss of life and I feel a bit ashamed saying it. I'll leave you all to the chat.

I just feel sorry for the people dying and their families and hope the war will end. Not here for an argument. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Mick Wallace is out. Brilliant. :)

All Eyes On Rafah

You said I was posting Russian disinformation. I posted a report on world bank figures and you said I misrepresented it. Given they were my words, it appeared to me you were accusing me of being Russian.

Fwiw, I'm not Russian and have never been to Russia although I am a fan of Chekhov and Dostoevsky. Anyway, I'm not Russian and am not spreading misinformation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

143 posts and mask is completely off already. Jeezz, that is poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It's such an easy question to answer. Here look:

I condemn Russia's illegal and brutal invasion of Ukraine sovereign territory. I think Putin is a war criminal and should be punished for his genocidal actions. The quickest and most logical way to peace is that Russia simply goes home.

Is there something in those statements that you find contentious?

My sympathies lie with Ireland.

I asked you if your sympathies lie with Russia. It's not an either or. I've no idea what this answer even means? Our country is doing fine relative to Ukraine. We don't live in a war ravaged nation and the fact that you decided to dodge the obvious intent behind my question is quite telling.

You support Russia. You think you're fooling us with this both sides, peace now schtick. You are not. It's boring, tedious and not in the slightest original at this point.

Anyway, I'm not Russian and am not spreading misinformation

I really don't know why you keep saying this. Nobody accused you of being Russian.

So yeah. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭junkyarddog

Wallace and Daly gone!

Democracy in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

was a British colony until 1965. Declared unilateral independence under the government of Ian smith. Was able to access the seas across Mozambique which was Portuguese colony until 1975. Extremely racist country Was the most sanctioned country in the world at that time. But that Mozambique access corridor was enough to keep it alive until 1979/80.

Nope, again, my posts did not include the word 'disinformation'. That is several times now your posts have not accurately represented the content of the posts you are referring to. You were not accused of being Russia or of spreading Russian disinformation in any post.

You were posting misinformation that emanated in Russia, without scrutiny, cherry picking out the favourable parts to Russia. And in doing so, you even misrepresented the contents of the article, by leaving out the conclusion which was negative towards Russia's economy.

Noted you failed to reply to the pertinent questions about your view of the conflict which says it all. Exactly the post response expected of an apologist for Russia's invasion. We're seen such evasions multiple times on the thread, often enough to know the reason why it is done.

The ICP is a multi-partner statistical initiative coordinated by the World Bank under the auspices of the United Nations Statistical Commission.

Next up.

The global economy was $152.4 trillion when measured in PPP terms. ▪ The largest economy in the world in 2021 was China, recording a PPP-based GDP of $28.8 trillion, reflecting 18.9 percent of the global GDP. The United States was the second largest, with nearly $23.6 trillion or 15.5 percent of the global GDP. India’s economy was the third largest at $11.0 trillion, accounting for 7.2 percent. ▪ Also in the ten largest economies group were the Russian Federation ($5.7 trillion and 3.8 percent), Japan ($5.6 trillion and 3.7 percent), Germany ($5.2 trillion and 3.4 percent), Brazil ($3.7 trillion and 2.4 percent), France ($3.6 trillion and 2.4 percent), the United Kingdom ($3.5 trillion and 2.3 percent), and Indonesia ($3.5 trillion and 2.3 percent).

ICP lists Russia as 4th. That's what the article was talking about. Maybe it Russian disinformation.

I don't know much about it but would imagine if they were that useless it would be a pointless exercise, i.e. Cuba could say it had the biggest economy in the world and by your logic they'd just report that scenario.

Oops...

• Advertisement

It’s a pointless excercise for countries where lying is a way of life. Yes now you get it, that is the point.

All the figures you are quoting are from 2021.

How is this relevant to the current Russian economy or events being reported today on the Russian stock market and banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Do you think Russia has illegally invaded Ukraine and should leave the region entirely? So you think they are committing genocide? Also just an fyi, their domestic profit is being driven by the war and that's not maintainable in the long term. The economy is also a train wreck....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder how much their demise was to do with their Pro-Russian stance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

….

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Hopefully they feck off now to Moscow and stay away from our tv screens.

I'm going to have a celebratory drink tonight 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A lot I would think. It made them toxic to transfers and thinking lefties knew they couldn't vote for someone who has backed Putin.

Fantastic news for Ireland, it would be shameful to elect someone who backs Putin at EU level, particularly when we won't support the Ukrainian armed forces.

I think it's a really stupid and brutal line of questioning, a bit like how people were expected to condemn Hamas before discussing the Israelis murderous rampage.

When the USA armed turkey, the Russian's armed the Cuban's and we nearly had world war 3. I don't think the Americans should have been attacking and destabilizing Cuba and we were very lucky the Russian intervention didn't cause world war 3.

It's a similar scenario in Ukraine. It's not an easy primary school answer. It's a complex situation.

I feel sorry for the Ukrainians and Russian's dying on the battlefield. Ukraine is a disaster now, I don't know what type of society will exist after the war. I don't know enough Ukrainians to comment but my neighbour who was from Ukraine and living in Ireland before the war was lovely.

There seems to have been issues with groups like the Azov battalion that the US refused to arm due to their links to Banderas but probably in a similar way to the IRA in the north.

I was saddened to see support increase significantly for Banderas since the Russians invaded. I feel sorry for the Ukrainians, they would have been better to steer clear of the Americans IMHO and hope Ukraine can find a good spirit after the war ends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Is that 2021 figures you are quoting? Can you tell what was different in 2021 to now?

• Advertisement

Apologies, not seeing the difference between disinformation/ misinformation. Just thought it was rude.

Advertisement