Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Almost all soldiers on the Russian border with Finland are now in Ukraine

https://yle.fi/a/74-20093440

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And Russian aplogists still peddle the lie that Russia was fearful of a NATO invasion. Proof positive it was all propaganda.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

If you visited a Moscow flat in say 1975, damn near everything you saw around you would be made in the Soviet system, if not Russia itself. That's no longer the case to nearly the same degree

GGreat point also the Soviet Union had the huge industrial capacity of Eastern Europe, east Germany being the crown jewel of its industrial output. Although the Soviets would also hobble east european countries if they were getting an edge technological over Russia. Famousey east Germany was making great progress in microchips in the 70s and 80s largely through stealing the IP from West Germany. Russia was very afraid that east Germany was passing it out and hobbled their microchips industry. Now Russia still cannot produce microchips itself and this is a major factor in its failing war

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Russia was plundering and using the output of Eastern Europe for its own ends. Treating it as an empire treats a colony. Exactly what they had lined up for Ukraine.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Rather than reaching for the conspiracy theory maybe consider whether they are correct?

The Russian momentum has certainly slowed but to say that the tide has turned is an exaggeration.

The Russians still have more tanks, aircraft, helicopter, ammo and soldiers than Ukraine. Ukraine certainly does not have plenty of anything.

Ukraine still has no way to counter the glide bomb treat. Hopefully that will change once more patriot systems are on the ground. F16 might also help but from my basic understanding the Russians still have better fighter jets with longer range.

I don't see how the tide will turn on the ground, at least not for another ~18 months when Russian will likely start to run out of old equipment.

Trump is the wildcard here. His election could swing the war firmly back into Russias favour. Hopefully the debate tomorrow reminds the American swing voters what a dangerous clown show that vile excuse for a human being really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"You are Ukrainian, you go back to help, you can be drafted to the frontlines. You volunteer, where there's a higher chance you get more choice, but you can still end up at the frontlines."

OK. And? As far as we can see, read and are told Ukraine has an existential threat. Is this correct? This is two years plus on. If one is Ukrainian then presumably they would like to see their state survive and relatives live? I simply don't understand why some here have objections to the idea that citizens might do all in their might to support the war effort and that is surely best achieved by making themselves available to the state in whatever capacity required. Why would anyone object to this?

We've done a lot in Ireland to help support Ukraine, at considerable personal cost to many, less so to others. If other posters here want to retain that level of support, then they need to ensure and watch that it's not abused in any way. That Ukrainians who can help, should be pulling their weight. Otherwise there is a risk that levels of support will fail. It hasn't turned out to be the short term emergency that was originally envisaged.

Besides which we are routinely advised that the Ukrainian army has sufficient man and woman power with reserves needing training etc. But there are surely multiple other roles for ordinary Ukrainians, that can assist with and support the war effort there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

That being said, has there ever been a better time for the Finns to retake that which was stolen from them in the Winter War? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Paddigol

People don't necessarily have objections to the idea of 'whatever it takes to help Ukraine', but they can spot a disingenuous post when they see it. So much simplistic conjecture in your post which gives off the impression of someone with a truckload of statistics and evidence to back up their constant refrain of Ukrainians in Ireland sitting on their hands.

The idea that forcing people back to a war zone is some kind of panacea is just that. Ridiculous reductionist reasoning which, if followed through to its logical conclusion would have me asking why anyone in the West who sees Russia's invasion as a threat to their values would not themselves volunteer themselves to the Ukrainian war machine.

'Not my war to fight'… the irony of such a cowardly retort.

We've been over this time and again, and you offer nothing new each time you bring it up after a few weeks of disappearing. Ukraine is well able to handle its own internal affairs. If it wasn't for the fact that new posters might think that ignoring your posts was evidence of people agreeing with you I'd be doing just that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That references 75,000 Russian soldiers killed, just in the context of the 200,000 casualties figure that some people assume means 'killed'. Not sure how reliable that source is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you follow the link to their original methodology, it paraphrases as "up to the end of 2023, we can be pretty sure that there have been about 75k confirmed deaths and an optimistic estimate of 200k permanently injured"

So it's much the same story as most other sources: they can only count the bodies that are acknowledged by Russia as being Russian, and make educated guesses in the hopes of filling in the gaps.

Based on the never ending stream of video footage available, and the Kremlin's desperate "overseas" recruitment efforts, and the steadily degraded performance of the troops at the frontline, I'd still say the Ukrainian daily tally is closer to the truth … but probably still an underestimate of the real situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭eire4

with a little matter of genocide for the local population to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Putin would be all for negotiating to go back to historical borders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Post you are referencing concerned sportspeople at the level where they can compete in the Olympics for Ukraine and/or do their sport professionally (it is wrong that they "galavant" around Europe apparently). It was a nonsense bot-level comment. These people are more useful to Ukraine continuing to do what they are doing (as others above have already said).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Might be easier just to wait for the eventual collapse, maybe the Karelians will then "vote" to be annexed by Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Russia is falling apart and it's drivers are going too fast to put the brakes on…

Komi, Russia. A passenger train derails carrying 215 people. Derailed due to flooding washing away the foundations of the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

If that happens then the west needs to throw the kitchen sink at Ukraine. Crush the invasion and leave Putin and his buddy with no illusions as to where the next misstep will take them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Piers Morgan and a fanatic who would be considered too extreme to get into the Taliban, yeah no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,322 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I listened to a few seconds of that and it's one of my biggest regrets.

I cannot wrap my head around how anyone can have these ideas running through their brain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think the real answer is “it’s complicated”. Firstly, helpful though non-lethal aid is, it’s not anywhere near as important as lethal aid. Secondly. much of the donated military equipment from the EU is stamped “Made by Raytheon/Lockheed Martin/U.S. Ordnance/etc, even if it came from a European stock, which shows the level of capability that those nations have for continued support. Lithuania or Spain or whoever cannot donate any more Patriots, for example, unless the US provides to them. The Soviet bloc equipment was undoubtedly useful and appropriate, but which might have had more effect on the battlefield? A hundred fifty ex Polish and Czech T-72s, or a dozen of the latest HIMARS and a score of M777 howitzers?

That also doesn’t account for pre-2022 support. The US Army has been in Ukraine training Ukrainians for decades. They went into a very high gear after 2014. How many dollars and manhours were spent turning the Ukrainian military into something which could strand up to Russia, and how much of it wasn’t American?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angler1

And the Japanese to take back their islands. The Chinese, Georgia, Moldova, Checnya and the stans all have a huge opportunity for a coordinated bid for freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Vlad is an advocate for recognising historical borders, surely he'd be in favour of this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

The larger islands just north of Hokkaido appear to contain some small Russian towns, which I've always found kind of facinating. The largest is Yuzhno-Kurilsk which is only 50 km away from the nearest Japanese town on Hokkaido.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzhno-Kurilsk

Normally you have a gradual contrast of cultures in frontier areas of larger countries, but here we have a stark contrast of Japanese culture on Hokkaido, and European Russian culture on the Kurils. Thanks in no small part by the division of the Cold War, and Russia's current stupidity.

I wonder if in the case of Japan regaining the islands, if they would encourage the local Russians to stay (assuming they hadn't already abandoned the place). It would be intersting to see if these Russians could be intergrated in Japanese society. Their standard of living would likely improve quite a bit in the process.

That is of course fanciful thinking on my part. Beyond the more-than-likely language barrier at play, many Russians have now been conditioned to believe in their superiority to other nations. Futhermore, Japan has also been a pretty reluctant to encourge immigration to solve their current birth-rate problems. It might be a stretch to think that Tokyo would activly absorb these Russians into the Japanese state. It's still kind of interesting to wonder about though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

The two countries ended their formal state of war with the Soviet–Japanese Joint Declaration of 1956, but as of 2024 have not resolved this territorial dispute over ownership of the Kurils. Japan still wants these territories back.

Advertisement