Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

Well he's been given free reign by the supreme court to remove any roadblocks he perceives and maintain immunity in the process so he can do pretty much as he wants from November on.

Not only will he look to stay a 3rd term but he won't even wait until January this time to get his feet under the desk. Expect him to push to be installed as soon as the results are finalised. He's not going to wait two months to do as he pleases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A petition has been signed by 760 people in Buryatia for authorities to open an investigation into the death of a Russian soldier. The soldier was found hanging from a tree away from the military unit with beat marks on his body and his teeth knocked out. The military unit were claiming he killed himself. He previously complained back to home of the "hazing" the military were doing to recruits and the beatings and that others in the unit were stealing his money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Russian military is notorious for hazing related to the mandatory service.. dedovshchina

A twitter post that's getting some reaction in Russia. Racism is very evident in Moscow and those not white Ruzzke born in moscow particularly feel it. Replies wouldn't be beating around the bush either. A fair bit of tension there and they all living in Russia supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

How do you read the replies?They are all in Russian

It allows me to translate the post into english but not the replies or comments.

That guy assumed the Russian from outside Moscow is "foreign"?

Is that the gist of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thatsdaft

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ive no idea what to make out of these stories. On the one hand we hear Russia is fcuked and running out of supplies. On the other hand we hear military chiefs speaking about a European war with Russia by 2029.

All Eyes On Rafah

the two are not mutually exclusive

especially if Russia gets its hand on Ukrainian equipment and industrial capacity and what remains of Ukrainian army (minus the purges) that is convinced and pissed off that they were abandoned by Europeans and US

WW2 lasted for years longer than it should have due to factories and slave labour Germans captured and years of appeasement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭jmreire

Go to the comments and click on them. When they open, you will see the translation icon underneath them.

Thanks.Still it is tedious going through 1 comment at a time,translating them and trying to make sense of the whole piece.

I can't understand what the guy is saying (no subtitles?) but I can see from the comments /reactions that they don't like him because (?) he is from Moscow and doesn't seem to appreciate folks from other parts of Russia.

• Advertisement

No, and the feelings are mutual. Generally, ethnic Russians are not well tolerated in the republics, with good reason. A lot of the Republics are held in the federation, but not by choice.

If it comes to war with Russia due to not supporting Ukraine when we had the chance, it will be viewed as the greatest incidence of shooting yourself in the foot, in history.

6 months of real support would see the destroyed. Instead we could see 100s of thousands of young Europeans dying for nothing, all because some asshole politicians want to keep cosy on some level with a rogue state.

Is the danger that Russia actually takes control of Ukraine and uses its people and resources to attempt to take the rest of "NovoRussia " with America happy to watch disinterestedly from the sidelines.

Will Ukraine feel betrayed if Europe allows this to happen and allow itself to be used by Russia after the expected mass slaughter has abated?(would Europe even accept all the refugees from Ukraine that would have to leave after such a defeat?)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,071 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump will end war in Ukraine, I've no doubt. Of course it only ends with Zelensky and the Ukrainian people happy of the conditions to end it, so why are left so scared of that, if it's what Ukraine wants.

Do they have any attachment to China?

Is that where things are heading if Russia falls apart?

I suppose China would not make any formal move unless there were secessions and even then might support Russia in putting them down..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭20silkcut

It’s not the left that are afraid of Trumps peace deal. It’s the millions of people on the Eastern edge of Europe that fear it. Handing over territory and people to appease Russia into stopping the war is pretty **** for the people living in that territory especially if they opposed Russian occupation and sends out the message that Land grabs pay off in the end. It’s Czechoslovakia 1938 2.0 . A proven utter failure of a strategy that led to nothing only prolonged and much worse further hardship. And Trump will laud it as some new found super genius strategy.
    Anyone who has a mild grasp of History knows exactly where it leads.
    The Russians want to reach the Carpathian Mountains. They have said that. They have done that many times in the past. That is the natural border they need to reach to plug their security gaps. If they are continually appeased that is where they will expand to at the very least. Appease over the Donbas region now and you will be appeasing over Odessa and Moldova and Kiev in two to three years time. Maybe even the Baltics. Europeans will do nothing and return to business as usual during any downtime following appeasement. As they done in 1945 and again post 1989. Europeans demobilise and return to industrial endeavors . Russia will do the opposite and re- arm and recoup and suck the new found territories dry and become ever more militaristic emboldened by their gains. It’s a disaster strategy that will heap hardship on millions of Europeans again.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

If Ukraine is taken its people won't have a choice, they'll either end up dead for their part in this war or end up dead as the human wave fodder in the next conflict.

The women will be put to work generating the revenue from the minerals and assets and Europe will revert back to cheaper gas and oil basically funding the war which Russia will bring to their door. Scholz and Co are basically hoping this war goes away so they can go back to the economic pyramid scheme that they're all so obsessed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm pretty confident neither Zelensky or the Ukrainian people would be happy with Trump's concept of peace..

Strictly out of necessity I'd say under the present circumstances. Under normal circumstances, yes trade and embassy interaction. Russia gained a large chunk of China in 1858 and Xi would like to get it back now, ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭rogber

Just yesterday I was attacked for pointing out that German support for Ukraine is starting to wake. That article provides some of the evidence....

The only political party unambiguously in favour of proper military support for Ukraine are the Greens, and they are currently very unpopular and probably out of government at the next elections. The far left and far right are unashamedly pro appeasement or even pro Russian, half of SPD are pro Russian, and the centre right only care about German economic prosperity. Definitely cause for concern looking ahead in terms of medium term EU support

Both sides are sort of right in this debate, the problem with internet is that people read something like “Europe was slow to help” and in their heads it transforms into “Europe is sending zero help” and round we go bickering while Russians laugh as in their society open debate is not permitted and everything is a lie piled on other lies

There is an obvious worry about Trump / Vance presidency (and maybe even destruction of US republic) and not just with regards to this war, it is probably safe to ignore what Trump says, I learned a long time ago his actions are based not on what he said but the last person in room to have had his ear coupled with his desire to enrich his crime family.

However the solution lies staring in our faces in servers in Belgium, there’s about $300bn worth of Russian assets frozen which can fund Ukraines defence with Russian own money for 5-6 years well past a Trump presidency

But we get limp d**k excuses possibly based on European politicians wanting to appease likes of Saudis and not hurt their businesses which continue to operate in Russia

The number of Chinese tourists in Primorye has exceeded pre-pandemic figures, the regional government said. In the first half of 2024, almost 170 thousand Chinese tourists visited the region. This is 13% higher than before the coronavirus pandemic. Almost 89 thousand arrived without a visa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File%3AMap_of_Russia_-_Primorsky_Krai.svg

Little green men Chinese style learned from Putin's actions in Crimea. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's both. Russia is running out of e.g. tanks, but it is doing better in regards to other elements e.g. drones.

As a result they are forced to adapt, change tactics and so on.

If we stand back and look at the bigger picture from the Russian perspective, the war is taking an increasing toll on the economy, it's taking a toll on Russian troop morale, it's turning into a very costly grind for the Russians, and for what? Losing equipment permanently and gaining a couple of villages? Unless something dramatic happens, there is a timer on this campaign for Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Economics101

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/2024/07/18/ukraine-time-for-negotiations-to-end-war/

I don't know whether the Irish Times paywall will block this, but to-day's letter from Ray Bassett is totally irresponsible, from a retired diplomat who should know better. Real " 2 sides" stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is now time to stop this obscene conflict and in a way which guarantees the legitimate security interests of Ukraine and Russia.

Russia has no legitimate security interests so that bit is easy…

It's depressing to think that that is the standard of our former diplomats. It gets multiple plain facts wrong. Brussels and DC don't have a "non-negotiation" policy, they have a "whatever Ukraine wants to do" policy. I mean, going so far as to call that stance immoral is frankly disgusting. Essentially he's saying he'd rather Russia had the time and freedom to perform as many Buchas as they feel like in their occupied territories with no fear of reprisal in exchange for us getting rid of a bunch of immgrants and he is framing that as the more moral choice.

Disgusting man.

There is something like 300 drone companies in Ukraine doing some seriously innovative stuff with drones, if these companies and their employees fall into Russian hands, it won’t be tanks that Europe would have to worry about in 2029 but drone swarms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'm sure Dr Bassett would be equally accommodating if I were to demand a share of his house, property and any members of his family to do with as I pleased. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Wasn't he the guy who used to say the Irish govt. should follow the brave path blazed by the UK mothership + plan our own exit from the EU? So another very poor take is not a surprise.

• Advertisement

Kadyrov does lethal injection instead of Putin's plutonium tea.

A distant relation of Kadyrov was killed in a penal colony for publishing online negative comments about Kadyrov and his crew.

Advertisement