Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia-Ukraine War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

» Please kindly point me to where I called this a "mutual war between NATO and Russia" and where did I stated that "Ukraine should reward it's invader with land"?

I didn't write that. You really need to read what's being written, I suggest reading it again.

You are attempting to frame this as a mutual or "spat" war or "resources" war, so you can project this disengenuous anti-war stance to the whole thing. That "both sides" need to stop.

Russia is invading Ukraine, the Ukrainians are defending themselves. Russia has no right or reason to invade. Ukraine has every right to defend itself. There's only one instigator. You're just lazily blaming both, which is obscene.

Ukraine has the option of rewarding Putin's invasion with land, but they've learnt by bitter lesson, and we've learnt by bitter lesson, that appeasing Putin does nothing but encourage him. it creates more war.

The only thing Putin responds to is strength. So if Ukraine do go to the table, if it's even available, if it's even legitimate, they can only do so from a position of strength, or else there will be only more war, more invasion. By Russia.

Did Putin stop with Crimea? Did he stop with Donbas and Luhansk? If someone supports appeasing Putin, they support more war.

Yet here you are indirectly accusing Ukrainians and people who support Ukraine of being war-mongers. A neutral nation that was attacked. The irony and BS of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Right. Colorful examples and the truth, another attempt to categorize people again.

I can assure you that if something like that happens I would act and I would not just stay there with phone in the hand taking video and talking about it.

War is different and complex scenario which cant be downgraded or simplified with this bully example. If you feel so strongly about it you can go and join the cause. I know people who did and I listened to what they have to say afterwards. I would not repeat it here because none of you would understand. That is all I say about it and I still call for war, any war to end. The sooner it happens the better it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

2014 is 22 years after the collapse of USSR and both Russian and Ukrainian independence

My example not only stands but blows and T90 suborbital launched turret hole in your silly “civil war” thesis

This is a colonial war of expansion in a classic imperial Russian fashion with a sprinkling of fascism borrowed directly from the third Reich and the worst aspects of communist propaganda and imagery thrown in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭8mv

We can all agree that the war should end and the sooner the better. You certainly give the impression that you would prefer it to end with Ukraine capitulating to Russian agression - you have posted nothing that would suggest the opposite…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭scottser

The only way it ends is with Russia's defeat. Europe is comitted to a Ukraine victory, so you might as well suck it up and pick a side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I pointed out an example of where "if you are not for, you are against" and you have no credible response, just an attempt at shifting the goalposts.

War is different and complex. Why? Nope - not necessarily. This is argument by assertion, without foundation.

"If you feel so strongly about it go and join the cause". A total cop out answer, by that standard, why don't you? You seem to feel strongly on the subject too. Why don't you go there, position yourself in no man's land and plead for peace? What do you think your life expectancy will be? Do you think "any of them" would "understand"? So you don't even live up to your own "advice". Self discrediting isn't it? Why are you calling for war to end here, when none of us on this thread are doing the fighting?

Another "attempt to categorize people"? Then, what's "none of you would understand"? Again, easy to write lines like that in posts to try to score points, easy to forget to follow them yourself. Go back and re-read your own recent posts, and see how many times you categorized people.

I have outlined the consequences of your position, and it is not peace, it is rewarding aggressors and rewarding warfare. Again, you had no credible response. Calling for a war to end on that basis is in reality just perpetuating the reasons for it, it is not a serious basis for peace, and it is not peace by any real definition.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I dont think so. Remember when Russians were quite deep in Ukraine and as soon as negotiation started in Turkey whey withdrew? There was no single attempt at negotiating afterwards even recent proposed peace conference invited everyone but them. You cant negotiate end of war without warring parties present. While it was 2 regions then now there are 4 occupied and that certainly make negotiation for Ukraine harder.

No, thank you. I am not sucking anything up and I am not picking side. I do not care which side win or lose as long as killing stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Implicitly, you have picked a side. Your position would result in rewarding the aggressor. Your position would result in rewarding Russia for atrocities such as Bucha. By refusing to engage with what Russia is actually doing in Ukraine, by refusing to recognise that Ukraine has the right to defend itself against such aggression, that is a pro-Russian position.

You deny Ukraine the right to defend itself against Russian aggression, invasion and atrocity. That is not a position of peace. That is a charter for war mongering.

And any stop to the killing would only be temporary, because you will have rewarded those culpable for killings. We have seen how Russia signs treaties, re-arms and attacks again.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

A reminder of what "peace" looks like on occupied Ukraine.

• Advertisement

Oh well, one has to pick their wars right?

I will visit again in few months and we will be at gamechanger 30 and talking about another 1 or 2 occupied oblasts as it seems it is heading in that direction anyway. I wish it was different but what can I do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

we will be at gamechanger 30 and talking about another 1 or 2 occupied oblasts as it seems it is heading in that direction anyway

You could at least attempt to hide your arousal at the thought of it happening? Anyway the mask has completely slipped. You are pro Russian. End of story. No further dialogue needed.

I wish it was different but what can I do?

1. No you don't
    2. Donate to a Ukraine fund like United24 or The69thSniffingBrigade. Of course, you won't do this because that would upset your Russian mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The fact you won't comment on if Russia are committing genocide is very much so picking a side...

We all wish it was different.

No one wants this invasion. We all want it to end. Putin isn't just attacking Ukraine, he's attacking Europe, we're a part of that.

It's unreal to come across individuals who don't care how it ends, meaning they don't care who prevails. Reinforced by snide comments, as if there's something wrong with expressing hope or support in Ukraine prevailing.

If Putin prevails, there'll only be more war. As a supposed "anti-war" person you may need to take some time to think about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well 'peace at any cost' i.e. the sooner the better and not condemning Russian agression is plainly pro-Russian. How could it be taken otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

it must be the only war ever in the history of all wars - and go back as far as you want to- where UKr is the clear victim with ‘ both hands tied BEHIND its’s back’ and ‘ one leg tied up behind it’s back’. So this means that it cannot kick out with the free leg because if it does it will FALL. Imagine not being allowed to attack/ neutralise locations in Russia that is firing missiles at you with arnaments provided from outside sources. Putins bluff has been called re going nuclear. It is now clear that he is concentrating exclusively on using large numbers of soldiers - to overwhelm the smaller UKr numbers- along with bombing everything in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

And there we have it. Smoke and mirrors, pretending to hold oneself out as a pacifist, when really its "I genuinely do not care how it ends". I'm not going to bother engaging with you on the issue anymore as you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the reality of war, pathetically passing it off as "elaborate conclusions", and I'm just going to call your posts out for what they are - disingenuous. Stating that you just want peace, straight out saying that anyone who disagrees with you is a war hawk, yet refusing to accept that it can only come about one of two ways - Ukrainian capitulation or Russian withdrawal.

That's me done with the 'sound of one hand clapping' discussion, and another poster to add to the ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

It is clear that the week or two of the absence of this thread, caused very serious withdrawal symptoms resulting in stream of nonsense from a particularly badly effected Russian propaganda victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ah, so you want Russia to head back across the border. Took a hell of a lot of posts by umpteen people to get that out of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Ok so. You might understand then that your position is probably not one that resonates with the majority of Ukranians, for whom this is an existential battle. Nor indeed with Russians who will keep obediently lining up for the meat grinder on the say so of their dictator. You do realise that in Russia, your calls to end the war immediately would likely land you in prison and then the front line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Translation, not willing to answer some pretty reasonable questions so will come back in a week or two and rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Eh, no - I got that hypothetical situation out of your head, or more specifically your post #504:

This is war over resources it was clear from the start when 2 of the most rich counties in Ukraine tried to jump ship and Ukraine did not want them to leave. Russians happily supported that move. Result of that conflict at this moment is that Ukraine lost another 2 counties and if you know anything about Ukraine you would know that first 2 lost territories are the most valuable in terms of resources and other 2 are where most of the grains are produced.

Sure, there was vigorous debate in the Donbas region as to whether or not they should remain part of Ukraine, but they did not jump ship nor was there any movement to join Russia until that Russian "support" arrived in the form of paramilitary agitators with their own (or rather Putin's) agenda.

As my son's Ukrainian flat mate said several years ago, the situation in the Donbas was like Northern Ireland on steroids, but it could have been handled within Ukraine through conventional heated negotiations - exactly like we see and have seen in respect of Catalonia and the Basque region … and Northern Ireland.

But no, Putin decided that he was going to impose his own "solution" on someone else's problem, sent his little green men into Crimea and the Donbass, and as we're all too well aware now, then decided to embark on his "Special Military Operation" because … reasons. And all your posts indicate that you're quite happy with that, because some people in Donetsk and Luhansk expressed their discontent with the government in Kyiv ten years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's the stuff like comparing conquest and stealing land and resouces to a business transaction (like McDonalds growing by m&a apparently), trying to spin it like Russia's leadership are not acting abnormally here, that also makes you sound pro Russia.

I just know you would not be talking about this so glibly if "Uncle Sam" (you don't like them!) were acting the global pirate, sending US military out after booty and seeking to add a new state to the Union. You'd be laying into them on here (rightly so).

Putting blame on Ukraine/Ukrainians for choosing to stand and fight vs accepting a "hostile takeover", also blaming others for supporting them with weapons, saying you don't care what happens, posting negativity/cynicism/criticism of Ukraine and its allies, claiming that once war ends (no matter how it happens) it is for the best as there will be "peace" (despite evidence to the contrary), all of it seems pro Russia. If it walks like a duck etc.

You are also normalising revanchism/irredentism in some posts, going on about idea of Romania annexing Moldova + other disputes around Europe (Catelonian independence etc). It seems to be to try and make it apppear as if Russia isn't really acting out of the ordinary, and this kind of thing is rife all over Europe, par for the course. Not true.

Discussing border/sovereignty/territorial changes you wish to see happen in future, or even working for them entirely peacefully and through political means is one thing. Countries' leaders making claims to other people's lands, issuing threats against them if they don't acquiesece and then using acts of terrorism or warfare to redraw borders the way they want them to be is quite another and it is not normal. It is sick behaviour we'd all hoped was gone from Europe in 21C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Russia and Israel…the new axis of evil.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

They're not really an axis, more like they are competing with each other to be the biggest, most complete and utter jockstains imagineable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think wanting peace and soon is admirable, I have little time for those who would put geopolitics first or enjoy the fighting, but the sad fact is that the killing will only stop once the Ukraine pushes Russia completely out of its territory. We already know from the likes of Chechnya what a Russian "peace" looks like and it's not pleasant for the people who have to suffer under it. The Ukraine must win and we must support them for as long as they wish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Remember when Russians were quite deep in Ukraine and as soon as negotiation started in Turkey whey withdrew?

Between this and your invented claim that two regions "tried to jump ship", the problem might just be that your memory isn't very good.

Russia withdrew because their advance stalled and was incredibly exposed. The talks collapsed when it became clear Russia's demands were absurdly unacceptable and they weren't taking it seriously and the massacre in Bucha was found. The "separatist movement" in the Donbas both had no formal authority (the last vote in the region was pro independence after all) and was a Russian invasion in disguise from the get go anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Not unexpected really. Putin has Georgia by the b*lls where he took pretty much 20% of it or more back in 2008. Georgia dont really have a military to size up against RA and shur a huge amount of Russians fled into Georgia during early stages of the "Special Operation". Putin and FSB are fully behind the forceable arm twisting of the Georgian parliament on this. Expect further Russian incursion into Georgia similar to Ukraine with the Little Green Men thing. Georgia is now sucked into the federation pretty much. Its a pity really because I think at the start georgian dream were very pro EU and NATO? So something happened recently and all I can think of is Putin/FSB infiltration and threats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looks like Georgia is about to become a Russian proxy / puppet State

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

A note on Donbas independence re. the recent conversation (reposted for those who missed first time)-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

So Georgia on its way to becoming Belarus V2.0

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The telling moment for Georgia isn't now - the bill was always going to pass. The telling moment is the upcoming elections.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope. They withdrew because in their hubris thinking it would be over quickly in the face of Russia Unleashed, their mighty military machine's 40k plus flying column forgot about simple things like petrol and food. And don't even go down the strewn with Kremlin bullshít road of Johnson's telling Ukraine to fight on. Those Turkey talks went on for weeks after he left. At the time Russia claimed it was a tactical feint, but you've forgotten that. Oh and they also "withdrew" from Forever Russian™ Kharkiv and Kherson, AKA legged it in the face of mismanagement and general fcukups, long after any negotiations.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Parliamentary elections are scheduled to be held in Georgia on 26 October 2024.

Id say the Russian election interference in this election will be off the scale ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

Not really but if that's what you choose to read into it feel free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, this is suspicious and quite strange that most members of Georgian parliament voted for this undemocratic law, disregarding popular protests. How are they going to explain this decision to their voters in the next election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Zelensky knows that the cause of Israel and Ukraine are one that the cause of Russia, Iran and Palestine are one.

Neither side really hides that, though some in the West pretend otherwise, for many reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The cause of Palestine and the cause of Hamas are directly linked however.

You can support Palestine and the Palestinian people, but not support Hamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

He is talking about Hamas, not the Palestinians as a whole. Though I realise you are all too happy to draw no distinction.

His comments were also made on October 9. I expect he might take a more balanced view now.

Hamas is a terrorist organisation.

The Israeli state in its current form is a state terrorist.

A bit like Stalin versus Hitler: there doesn't have to be a good guy in a war, sometimes both are awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Remember when Russian heli's and jet's were dropping out of the sky over Belgorod. I knew it was patriot's based off the videos of the missile's hitting them.

It's nothing short of disgraceful Russia and Germany giving them an earful. No surprise they actually ran out of air defence missiles after it was threatened.

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1795449109391782116?t=qk3ODScD3UwlhLzMIaHQEg&s=19

This ( @RoyalCelt Before posting comment with X/Twitter link, change the x in the x dot com part of the link to TWITTER, I think its an issue here at boards that x dot com links dont open / display )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think a clear education for people would be the venn diagram for COVID deniers and russian tankies.

Nothing you have posted indicates a deep insight into what is happening in Ukraine. Further emphasised by you not caring about what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭vswr

Quickest route for that is for Russia to leave Ukraine to pre-2014 boarders.

It's actually that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I see France is sending their foreign legion troops to Ukraine.

Probably there for a while now. Others will follow soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭vswr

@patnor1011 is it Kharkiv or Kharkov?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement