Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia-Ukraine War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭amandstu

Are you? And you trust the Russians over Trump's intelligence agency?

So you are a fan of one man genocidal ,assassinatorial rule?

Do you think the citizens in your list of countries feel the same way?

Are you looking for a hand out to emigrate to Russia too?

Or will you just wait for Trump to be elected and emigrate there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭macraignil

The contents of the article are not clear to me because as I said already I'm not going to read anything posted here by a disingenuous putin supporter who only has time to post articles negative about Ukraine and engage in promoting some kremlin sponsored fantasy that putin invaded Ukraine while at the same time offering peace and a way out for them from the terrible situation of joining a defensive pact between countries that do not think being invaded by putin should be tolerated. You re posting a link from the one sided argument they present on behave of the aggressor in the conflict has no real benefit and I don't see the trouble you are talking about as those feeble minded enough to swallow kremlin propaganda will in my opinion not be sufficient in numbers to influence the conflict where almost everyone can see Ukraine has a right to defend itself form putin's terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Like whack a mole with these Bots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Howya 'Mick', good to hear from you again. I suppose more free time on yer hands these days. Link us to the article or report or post where you advised us of this back in 2022.

You can't just hide your head in the sand man, la Pen is close to getting a majority in France, AfD is on the march in Germany and god forbid Joe doesn't step aside and we have Trump as NATO head. Coming down heavy on this stuff is an important part of the propaganda/information war.

And it's an article from the New York Times, not RT, it's going to carry a lot more weight and be seen by a lot more people.

Not to mention the plain old morality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭engineerws

Nope, I'm Irish.

I trust the American ideologues to stupidly cause wars.

I don't know much about the Russians, they don't seem to have the soft power like the American's to lie whenever they want. The Russian's seem ruthless when they are finally provoked into attacking and unlike the USA, they are prepared to take heavy casualties.

Post edited by engineerws on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I suppose they were “provoked” into attacking Georgia, Checyna, Afghanistan etc etc??

Nothing to do with them being a dictatorship and having no other tools than mass casualties?

"finally provoked into attacking" is the verbiage of a complete gobshite.

Look up what they did in Chechnya in 1994

Or should I say, starting in 1994

• Advertisement

I have the right to choose where I get my media articles and information from and it is not going to be from an unapologetic pro putin social media poster. I don't call that hiding my head in the sand.

Even if putin has some friends in the far right political spectrum in some other countries his military has been decimated and is hemorrhaging huge losses every day they stay in Ukraine so time is not on his side no mater how many social media posts would like to pretend it is. Support for Ukraine will continue and they are not as weak as putin would like to pretend they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Well, ''personally'' I have a good idea. The side that doesn't allow the UN and Human Rights NGOs to operate in its territory. The side that Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have condemned for multiple violations of human rights. The side which has several people in authority who are wanted by the ICC. The side that openly boasts about it's crimes and calls for more. The side whose soldiers openly chat about murder, torture, rape and pillage on social media. The side that has kidnapped thousands of children. The side that returns POWs in prisoner exchanges looking like they've just walked out of Changi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,820 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You've been caught out peddling Russian lies. You offer no response to the discrediting of the lies about the deal other than "back to work" … then lo and behold, pop up within the hour on the thread. Your posts have no credibility.

Do you think we have amnesia?

We've heard these lies before. We've heard these excuses, until you come along with the next discredited piece of Russian propaganda.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Blah, blah. Who do you think Mongolians, Chechens, Syrians, Afghans, Armenians, Georgians, Finns, Swedes, Poles, Czechs, Romanians, Moldavians, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Tadjiks, Bulgarians, Latvians, Estonians and Lithuanians trust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

One thing I really don't like or trust about any post is one that calls as its "witnesses" So called  Quote "High-profile figures like tech mogul Elon Musk and Fox News host Tucker Carlson " while using words like "a senile Biden and corrupt dictator, Zelenski." Pure and utter Kremlin crap. Something Gonzales was famous for, (amongst other things… his anti-woman stance and involvement in the so-called Manosphere, under the name of Coach Red Pill, where his activities to say the least were highly questionable.) he was 100% pro Putin, and penned lots of Kremlin anti Ukraine and anti Zelenski propaganda. He was arrested in Ukraine for his anti-Ukrainian posting, which broke Ukrainian law, and released on bail, and then he attempted to escape in the middle of the winter, and while on the run contracted pneumonia and later died from it while in prison. Had he been as critical of Putin as he was of Zelenski and Ukraine, and was captured by Putin, he would have been begging for death from pneumonia I can assure you. He would have been screaming for it in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭engineerws

AFAIK, Russia is a democracy.

The 1993 constitution declares Russia a democratic, federative, law-based state with a republican form of government.

Have heard dictatorship bandied around a lot with references to us state backed freedom house.

https://freedomhouse.org/country/russia

Not exactly an impartial source. Might as well ask the Russians whether Ukraine is predominantly Nazis.

Do you a supporting article to show how Russia is a dictatorship from a non state actor, e.g. respected historian. Journal article would be even better 👍

verbiage of a complete gobshite.

Not sure why you're resorting to name calling. Very rude. No marks for diplomacy for you.

Russia is neither a democracy, a law based state, or a republic. It is a dictatorship run by Putin.

Just as it breaks international agreements, it makes a mockery of the text of its own constitution, which isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Russia is assessed as Authoritarian.

You will find no evidence based observer who asserts Russia is a functioning democracy with free elections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Economist_Democracy_Index

The intention was to integrate more with the EU, but no discussion whatsoever about joining NATO prior to Putin's illegal invasion. Talk about joining NATO only began several months after he invaded, and with good reason, but even then, there was no possibility of Ukraine getting NATO membership simply because a very basic requirement for NATO membership is that the applicant Country cannot be involved in a war at the time of application. And its clear that NATO was only ever a fig leaf to cover and try to legitimize Putins invasion. This has been well proven when Finland and Sweden joined, and got no response from Putin, On the contrary, he's pulled most of his military away from the Russian-Finnish border. And as has been well proven with Putin, any treaty, agreement, etc. signed by him is less than worthless, and he and his mafia are dead set on the complete destruction and genocide of Ukraine.

"AFAIK, Russia is a democracy."

You really are full of it .

I don't need your link (whatever it is) to convince me the opposite of what my senses tell me.

You should get checked in (unless someone is paying you).

(didn't bother reading the rest of your post and I won't engage with you any further)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭zv2

@engineerws "There's lots on it if you google around. Many commentators maintain that the US wrecked the deal via the Boris Johnson intervention."

Kuleba said this is Russian propaganda. He said the talks failed because Russian demands were unacceptable to Ukraine.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Sure it does, but the image shown of the soldier sitting on the chair holding his rifle, while beside him stands a sledgehammer, and because hes not wearing any insignia, its open to doubt who he actually represents, Russia or Ukraine. Sledgehammers were a favourite mention of execution by Wagner. Not saying that the guy in question was actually Wagner, but it does throw doubt on it.

Big Russian ammo dump has been going all day.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Field east

as they say that if you repeat the ‘Lie’ (ie there was a deal ) often enough it will become true

"Citing unnamed sources from Zelenskyy's "inner circle"". Hmmm…I'm always suspicious when unnamed people are supposed to have said something.

I'm quoting Kuleba. He said Russia's demands were not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭thereitisgone

The last line is absolutley brillant

So Russia WOULD LOSE ALL CREDABILITY

Sorry honey that boat has already sailed

• Advertisement

Russian lies, peddled and discredited multiple times already on this thread. If you were actually engaged in critical thinking, you would have looked for more information, but nope, just latch into Russian propaganda and dump it here.

Here you go, bob's your uncle - the real reasons why there was no deal, and there never was any tangible deal, it was just the usual Russian bad faith.

Russian war crimes and atrocities such as Bucha. War crimes and atrocities you no doubt refuse to condemn without reservation:

"The first thing was the revelation of the atrocities, rapes, murders, massacres, looting, indiscriminate bombings and hundreds and thousands of other war crimes committed by Russian troops in the temporarily occupied Ukrainian territories."

And secondly, Ukraine did not trust to abide by any peace deal, based on previous deals they had broken:

Zelensky, Romaniuk says, had been sceptical about Russia’s willingness to stick to any peace agreements from the start.

Ukraine did not believe Russia was negotiating in good faith:

While talks continued in Belarus and Istanbul, Russia’s leadership kept repeating that it would reach the goals of its military campaign: ‘denazification’ (regime change) and ‘demilitarisation’ (the destruction of Ukraine’s military potential). The reality on the ground showed Russian troops wouldn’t have withdrawn from the newly occupied territories in the south and east of Ukraine, and were making preparations for lasting rule. Negotiators from the Russian side had been low-ranking politicians that had no power to sign any deals and no direct line to Putin, which was a signal to the Ukrainian negotiating team.

https://www.thebureau.news/p/no-the-west-did-not-sabotage-an-early

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/26582

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,577 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Are these F16's ever going to arrive, or are they all empty promises

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

they have several credibility mines in siberia but they've press ganged all the workers to be slaughtered in Ukraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Think they will be lucky to get double figures this year. Alternatively the dark horse Mirage 2000s might turn up first at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

High speed chase in Siberia. Police fire bullets on fleeing teenagers driving the national car brand.

But getting a bit closer to home in Russia…Just try being an ethnic Russian living in any of the Russian Republics and see how that goes for you in the popularity stakes… not to mention what might happen to you and yours if Putin ever loses power in Moscow….If that happened, your best bet as an ethnic Russian would be to pack your bags and head for Moscow,,,How do I know? I used to live there. Oh, and that tripe you posted about Russian being a democracy, with a constitution etc.. more Bullcrap. Russia is controlled by a murderous dictator, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, and he alone, is the Alfa and the Omega of all things legal or otherwise in Russia. The life of everyone in the Russian Federation depends on his whim. Don't believe me? You could always go there for a visit, and see what you think then, OK? But for certain sure, such a visit would radically change your views on Putin and his Russia..

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The national airline of russia had a forced landing near the village of Sosnovo-Ozerskoye injuring six people. A criminal case has been opened for violating flight safety rules in the 1947 model aircraft.

"Krasnoyarsk authorities announced underfunding of the Norilsk development program from the federal budget. They say that for some reason Moscow has cut funding. Why would this🤔🤔🤔"

Krasnoyarsk residents are complaining Moscow are cutting funding for maintenance. Post sarcastically asks why would they do this with the image shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In your first link the sources of the info are Putin and his state spokesman, Peskov

The second link is a "news" site run by the Chinese state

Next up a report from Infowars perhaps?

They are on the way but it's slow progress, also the Russians are preparing for them (hitting airfields, etc)

They will definitely help Ukraine but keep in mind they are unlikely to be a big game changer. Not in the current proposed numbers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Luna84

Two Patriot launchers supposedly hit. Where do they be moving them to in order to get hit. Afaik they were moving them and not set up to counter fire.

Any source for this bit of front line information?

Meanwhile more of putin's air force stopped from murdering Ukrainians defending their home:

https://unn.ua/en/news/ukrainian-military-shoots-down-russian-su-25-in-donetsk-region

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Luna84

It's all over YouTube. Mostly Indian news channels. But maybe we have to wait for confirmation that is if we ever do as that would be a big blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

For somebody who says they don't know much about the Russians, it's wild that you're claiming to be in the know and justifying handing territory over to the Russians. The same Russians who are committing genocide in Ukraine. Doesn't sound like a great deal for those who will be subjected to genocide.

New and updated 2024 version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭wassie

The Russian's seem ruthless when they are finally provoked into attacking and unlike the USA, they are prepared to take heavy casualties.

Probably Definately the dumbest post Ive read all year.

Lot of competition today.

Did you miss the post where it was claimed Russia is a democracy because that is what the Constitution says!

Next up... it is not an invasion because Russia said it was a special military operation.

Remember this is the same Russia who openly lied about the contents of the Budapest Agreement after they had violated it.

But sure Russia negotiate in good faith and it is all the fault of Boris Johnson.

It is a loyalty test in Russia how outrageous they can lie in their propaganda and you have to go along with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭scottser

Now, I'm no intellectual like engineerws and other peaceniks like him on here but here's how I see it.

Russia are Kunts, pure and simple. They'll have the eye out of your head and despise you for letting them take it. The West are kunts but in a nice-ish way where they'll do anything to rip you off but they are supposed to care about your feelings while doing it. Ukraine were reared by aforementioned absolute Russian kunts and now want to be like our kunts, who despite all their kunty flaws aren't so bad, as kunts go. It's a basic human right to choose which pack of kunts you're governed by.

So. All you kunts spouting pro Russian propaganda are really just a pack of stupid kunts for not recognising an absolute kunt from a halfway decent kunt, and if you live your life that way you are properly fucked because you will always be kunted upon and you'll never realise it. This makes you a sad kunt and to be honest there is no worse kunt than a sad kunt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While much of this list is factually incorrect, including Ukraine and Syria is actually just vile and disgusting.

Remember readers, Russia invaded Ukraine to denazify it.

It must be true Russia said so!

The same Russia with a large neo nazi faction whose mercenary wing is named after Hitlers favourite composer Wagner!

There is a denazification operation going on in Ukraine alright. It involves the hundreds of thousands of Russian and Wagner casualties - raping murdering fascist scum. Ukraine is the one killing Nazis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You can't just hide your head in the sand man, la Pen is close to getting a majority in France …

That post aged well! Four hours later, Le Pen finds herself relegated to third place in a three-horse race. Damned reality - keeps getting in the way of a good dose of doom-mongering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I missed Syria…If Russia is the Soviet successor (and Russia is resurrecting the old Soviet iconography of late), poster probably should have left the Afghans off the list as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement