Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm - New schedule coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Ah but do you only see radio 2 as more relevant as you've aged perhaps, should radio1 or 2 fm feel relevant to someone 35+. I doubt the majority of teenagers in the UK deem radio2 relevant to them in the same way the may feel for radio1…

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

It seems more a case, 2fm are trying to dictate about external income and the high profile stars are saying I'm out. Those with limited commerical profile with stay , which is hardly a recipe for success….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Do we need 2FM at all?

I imagine with the “stars” walking out because their income sources are limited, they are Backhurst & Co are figuring out that by losing listeners they can have a mandate to shut that station down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Or that back fires on them and there is a major up swing in listenership. And we all realise that Jenny Z isn't a star and neither was Doireann.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

https://x.com/BernardCasey90/status/1793717437101416840?t=cvZx-BZj_HKun47etkQr7Q&s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m sure there are plenty of young talented presenters out there. Hire them cheap, make them. Maybe they’ll stay, maybe they won’t but rinse and repeat if they feel they’re now bigger than the station. Doireann is an opportunist. Lottie, a nepobaby, Zamp may have had comedy chops a long time ago but the fact I can’t place her tells me she hasn’t the X factor, or Iano/G-Ryan factor).

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

That'd be 2FM going back to its roots. So many of the DJs from its first decade of existence came from a pirate background (including one G. Ryan) and were virtual unknowns when they started out. Of course it was easier to become a household name in those days but it was a formula that worked. If a presenter is likeable and competent, and plays good music, they'll go a long way towards holding their listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Laura Fox replaces Zamparelli. Isn't it fantastic to see a station like 2FM on the front page of every newspaper? says Dan to Claire Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Healy is absolutely flailing here on Claire Byrne.

I can hear his lips sticking to his gums.

He sounds a bit like Louis Walshe. Same level of BS as well.

• Advertisement

He's actually insufferable.

How is he charge of anything?

Dan Healy says 2FM are competing with the radios and the Spins. Honestly does it not say that 2FM should switch Fuchs? 15-34 can’t be listening. Go 25-50 or the same demo that BBCR2 covers and you might get a more stable listenership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭yagan

Who actually aspires to be a 2fm presenter these days when anyone with ambition has multiple options for launchpads with the internet?

The two johnnies make more from their podcasts without the overheads of rte.

Their exit only confirms 2fm's irrelevance to generations whose main milieu is the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

I think Louise Cantillon from today fm could be a good move. She’s rarely on her show, and could present from limerick. She’s also been on the tv with Dathi

Easier path if you are good and if RTÉ or any company can develop you, but its also important to role the dice when the time comes to leave the organisation that has supported you.

I have no real problem with RTÉ taking the 2 Jonnies, Doireann or Jenny Z and supporting them, in reality the 2 Jonnies were taken to boost 2FM audience. Which they kind of did, but defenders of RTÉ will say they really weren't given enough time, I'd argue that that is about a far as they could have brought it and they would have flatlined over the next few years and we'd still be talking about them.

Doireann is a grifter and that is fine, it will be interesting to see where she goes with her podcasts following this, perhaps I underestimate that side of the industry.

Jenny Z on the other hand doesn't really have anything from that side of things. She's not like the 2 Jonnies and their touring talks/comedy. And unlike Doireann she doesn't have a podcasting background. It will be interesting to see if she retains the presenting role on DWTS. I have a feeling that RTÉ TV will want some connection to their Radio stations especially as no Radio 1 presenter is currently on TV. Nothing stopping RTÉ getting Claire Byrne and Louise Duffy to present DWTS.

Sorry Miriam O'Callaghan is the only RTÉ Radio 1 presenter also on TV. Aine Lawlor on TWIP. No one expects the Spanish inquisition !

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Shan Doras

So are we any wiser about what's going on? Is it possible that 2fm are simply doing what has been suggested around here for a long time, that is reduce costs so that 3-4 million of licence fee money is no longer required?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

They're leaving as they have to sign new contracts with 2fm and have to declare all external revenue too. The 2 Johnnie's wanted time off to go on tour but 2fm said no, so they left.

I'd like to believe that they are cutting costs at 2fm, but I am guessing it was more to do with Extra Curricular activity than anything else.

I think in fairness to the 2 Johnnies and RTÉ 2FM they were never going to be able to resolve a 3 month break for them.

______

Yesterday

To be fair to 2FM you can’t build a prime time schedule around people going on tour for months or weeks at a time. To be fair to the 2 Johnnies, if you’re that successful, youve outgrown the slot anyway.

It’s a bit disconcerting that Dan Healy seems to be still intent on chasing social media personalities for future roles. Given the current batch are leaving due to changed terms, will any up and coming or established social media types want to sign up or, if they do, will try stay if their other ventures prove more lucrative than the 2FM gig?

I don’t really get social media as a draw for a radio listenership but how did we get here from the starting point of radio enthusiasts doing it because they love the job?

You can tell when someone is on radio because they love it. The enthusiasm shines through and they’re passionate about what they’re presenting either music or anything else. All I hear from a lot of modern radio is a presenter shouting “Look at me!”

Radio 1 built a morning schedule around a lad that used to go off for weeks on end to present other radio shows in other Countries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RINO87

…and they have a touring musician presenting a weekend nighttime music show, when most of his tour dates are on weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Zamps "comedy" was highly subjective. Personally never found her funny.

Radio 1's morning schedule was already built, that same lad was unable for 5 years to boost 2fm audiences and it was suggested he was their super star presenter.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Shan Doras

Jesus Christ, the state of Dan Healy on the Today CB show this morning, trying to pretend that kids are listening to 2fm like it were 1998, at least Claire pointed out to him that she never hears anyone younger than 35 on the phone to 2fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I think Tracy Clifford wouldn't be bad on the breakfast show, she's been on afternoons now for 8 and a half years and it would be a nice step-up for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Also, Tracy presented the breakfast show on Spin1038 before moving to 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭its_steve116

She was the original host of Fully Charged when it launched in 2008, along with Ryan Philips.

It would be nice to have her back on breakfast radio.

Post edited by its_steve116 on

That Dan Healy interview with Claire Byrne was car crash really. Out of breath and defensive in the extreme, she didn't really get anything out of him. No real argument from him. He's living of past successes.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

A man who is panicking and has to be under serious pressure. 2FM being front page news on all the papers is not a good thing, despite what he says.

He's lost control of it. Losing your presenters from 3 out of the 4 main morning & daytime shows within a fortnight is unacceptable.

• Advertisement

Honestly I think he was always like this, I think the only issue he has is that they all made their decisions at different times and he was hoping to retain one of them.

There are 3 things Dad did : -

1. Bring New Irish Music to 2fm
    2. Bring the Choice music award to 2fm
    3. Bring influencers to 2fm

If he is bring someone from social media it needs to be someone talking about new music. Did the 2 Johnnies, Jenny Z or Doireann have any real insight into music, or were they relying on everyone else?

______

Yesterday

Advertisement