Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm - New schedule coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I hear they've got some new guy called Bryan tubridy, a DJ in England I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Shan Doras

Yes Blathnaid Treacy is moving 9 till midday and Tara Walsh is taking over her old 7am to 9am slot. Also at weekends, Conor behan gets 3-6pm, he's been around as a fill-in weekend dj for 10 years https://about.rte.ie/2024/05/31/rte-2fm-is-the-home-of-music-this-summer/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looks like Laura Fox is off next week, with Blaithnaid stepping in. Not ideal for the start of the "summer schedule", but I'm sure they are wholidays booked from a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

John kenny was presenting 2FM Game On this evening and he mentioned 2FMs 45th birthday at the start and end of the show and played 'like clockwork'.

Did anyone else mention it on 2FM today?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,936 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Don’t know but you’d think there was some other mention given it’s the 45th anniversary of the station.

btw here’s the schedule for RTE radio 2 on June 1st, 1979(first full day).

6:30am Declan Meehan’s Breakfast Show. Early morning pop
    9:30am Vincent Hanley
    12:00 Larry Gogan
    2:00 sponsored programme
    2:15 sponsored programme
    2:30 Ronan Collins
    4:15 schools out -Top 40
    5:00 Wheelin’ Home
    7:00 Here comes the weekend
    8:00 Ken’s Klub. Ken Stewart
    10:00 Night moves with Mark Cagney
    12:00 midnight Dave Fanning
    2:00 Closedown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Heard that. First time John presented a show on 2fm in a while,must be the last of the "old guard" left!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

wheelin' home was presented by Marty and Here comes the weekend was gerry ryan

A few people have asked would anybody miss 2fm if it closed, I would argue that Atlantic 252 was a massive loss to the youth of rural Ireland when it closed in January 2002 but because it wasn't aimed at Irish listeners, the impact of its closure was never talked about.

• Advertisement

In fairness Fair play to Lottie, A flagship slot 11 years after her 2fm debut filling-in on weekend breakfast, Here is the thread about her debut back in summer 13

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I remember hearing her and was very taken aback. My reaction was how could someone with so many connections in the industry sound so amateurish and weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It is interesting to read how that thread ended.

It seems to me there is a group shutting down any real criticism of an RTÉ presenter regardless of who they are. (I'd argue of RTÉ as a whole, not just a presenter).

You could not even possibly be of the opinion Well done to whomever for getting what ever job in RTÉ… however here are a few legitimate questions and criticisms of that presenter.

If you do you are then shut down by the usual tropes "Begrudgery is alive and well", "that's so misogynistic", "Off course you should use who you know to get a job" and finally "people really post stuff like this, would you not get a life".

The idea I assume is to get critical posters to become over the top with the criticism and then to get the thread closed by a moderator.

It seems to be a tactic that works.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Well then perhaps critical posters should cop on to themselves…

Doesn't seem to work now matter how you start your criticism with "I don't mean to be rude…" or "In fairness to them they are achieving something but…"

Often the accusations are completely misplaced.

Personally I think you just have to ignore the people supporting the presenter or RTÉ. Or asking them to write something positive about the show.

There is a radio review in the Indo if this was written here it would be shot down as misogynistic. https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/ann-marie-hourihane-the-2-johnnies-show-is-culchie-bloke-heaven-but-2fm-breakfast-listeners-deserve-better/a1944726214.html

I am sure Ann Marie is really a 65 year old man out of touch with the yuff of today.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

2FM flogging the old dead horse of Lottie for another attempt at trying to get the public to like her.

If anyone is unsure that Noel Kelly has some link with the Sun the front page spread on Lottie joining the show wouldconfirm he certainly has someone on the books

Throwing Lottie onto a prime time slot should, should finally bring an end to 2FM for once and all, closing it down finally

She is terrible presenter, kills any show she has been brought onto and trying to act like a teenager when she is nearly in her 40's is everything that 2FM is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Raiden Plump Stone

was this last week, she hasnt actually developed in the last 11 plus years…anywhere else, she'd be out on her ass - she isnt even a popular influencer, youd swear the person holding onto the "must look after Gerrys kids" links would be gone

It's hard to believe that 11 years have gone by since Dan Healy got the job of DG of 2fm https://archive.ph/NoyHu

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I can't understand is why there's a head of 2FM, a head of Radio 1, a head of Lyric FM, yet there's only a single head of TV, the money machine by multiples is TV. As for Dan Healy, it's clearly time for him to move on if he thinks what he's changed will mean success for the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Eleven years of abject failure where the station is in worse shape than when he took over. In the commercial world he would have been turfed out years ago.

• Advertisement

They did at one point have a RTÉ ONE controller and RTÉ2 controller, when Bill Malone left for VMTV both roles were brought together under Adrian Lynch, until the Directors of TV and Radio were put under new names Director Of Content (He's out sick for some reason, hope he gets well soon) and Director of Marketing, Channels and Audience which a gave Adrian Lynch his current role.

Controller of RTÉ2 at one point was pretty much the Head of Scheduling, but I think RTÉ2 is pretty much as dead as 2FM, huge talk about 2FM but everyone seems to forget about poor aul RTÉ2, imagine the uproar is 3 of its stars left the channel… nah they should be safe as they have no Irish programming outside of sport… unless the GAA man with the car and the cruise hands in his notice and well that is the nail in the coffin for RTÉ2!

Adrian is now Deputy Director General (having moved his way up from Controller of RTÉ ONE)

While Director of Content has been split into Director of Content Video and Director of Content Audio, but Jimbo won't take either role when he returns from sick leave (I wonder why?). Basically Director of TV and Director of Radio have returned just been given a more modern sounding names … Though I think "Video" is a bit archaic.

Oh who do I think will be the new Director of Content Audio … Dan Healy … unless his media performance rules him out of the role.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

I remember thinking when Jennifer moved from the breakfast slot that surely Lottie would be in... Also thought she'd be shoe in for strictly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It must be embarrassing for Lottie when so many of her co workers leave for better opportunities over the years and she just stinking up the joint with no talent or actual marketable skillset beyond her surname. What does she even say to people who are leaving? "Oh..all the best" or how would she reply if someone ever asked her would she consider a career outside rte? She wouldn't be able to answer that because the only reason she got that job is because of her father. She wouldn't even be capable of working a proper 9 to 5 job or even serving in Aldi!

I

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are you suggesting she commit actual suicide? What gives anyone the right to hate somebody so much? Some meaningless tax money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What are you talking about with suicide, are you even able to read my post?

I'm saying she wouldn't be able to do any job that's not in RTE. Others have left to do different work but she's an outlier in that she never took or even pursued a different job abroad or outside of Dublin. It's very noticeable to be that unambitious in a job and especially in someone young.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Isn't she being paid at least 100k a year. Shed be a moron to leave given that she seems to be stealing a living

Why single out Lottie ? What about Cormac Battle and Dan Hegarty ? They've both been around 2fm since Lottie was doing her Junior cert and they haven't had a clear role in years, Indeed back in February 2022, Dan Hegarty was left out of the schedule until a token one hour slot was found for him at the last minute. What about Jenny Greene? Demoted from daytime, never even gets daytime cover work, yet she hasn't resigned either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

agreed! If you don’t like her presentation style then that’s fine. Great thing these days is that not only are there plenty of national and regional alternatives.on your radio dial, there is also Internet radio. I don’t guess the level of vitriol directed towards her so she’s been at the same organisation for years, big deal. We all know people who have worked for years and organisations and I imagine when you go down the pub, you don’t, fire insults at the guy at the table across from you just because he’s worked in the same place for 20 years! Gerry is gone 14 years at this stage. I imagine anyone who ordering favours are wanted to do right by his family has also moved on. I can’t see too many in there being concerned about keeping Ryan name around the place.

It’s easy to criticise people when you don’t know exactly what they’re doing. After Steve Wright past his marriage that he spent hours before and after each show preparing for the next. That was a surprise because he was such a pro with vast experience you would be forgiven for thinking he could wing it. my point here is that unless you are walking around with Lottie on a daily basis you don’t know what she’s doing The same with Dan Hegarty or Cormac Battle.

there is definitely a case at this point for a cost benefit analysis for at least the departments if not individual staff in the organisation. It’s important to know this stuff so that the right people get made redundant. However, in an organisation which lets a big name presenter stay on the books who had to hand back a car that they had been not declaring for tax or special interest just in time to avoid trouble and at the save time tgeir GAA buddies all jumped on the incident like a fire blanket to cover it up, I can see why people like Lottie attract attention. Factors, RTÉ have bigger problems than anything Lottie Ryan did. Tge witch hunt is getting very tiresome at this point. By the sounds of this forum nobody is listening to 2FM anyway so I don’t see why a particular presenter on a station you don’t listen to should be singled out. Time to move on.

Very interesting recent podcast from Louise Mcsharry, I'm sure people have previously asked the question here on boards, do 2fm presenters ever get airchecked ? Well no according to Louise, not only that, but previous pd John McMahon didn't even listen to her on air at all after giving her a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

I get that the 2 Johnnies had a following before they went on radio but even if they hadn’t they were offering something different. I was far from their biggest fans (actually found them a bit too try hard) but they represented a huge community- rural Ireland. With their unashamedly culchie accents and daft chat, they were authentic to GAA fans, construction workers, farmers, teachers etc. And they had built a solid, growing audience.

That theyve been replaced with Lottie Ryan just shows how little value is placed on offering a different voice on 2fm. She couldn’t be more opposite to the 2 johnnies if she tried!

Advertisement