Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incredibly bored in a good job

Options
  • 18-05-2024 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm a Business graduate, out of college 2 years had been working in Supply Chain for FMCG and wasn't enjoying that, thought I just wanted a job that wasn't entirely desk based.
    So I made the switch to a role with a Construction/Engineering company where I'm part in office and part on site.

Had my probation review 2 weeks ago, they're very happy with me, currently reviewing a potential pay rise which would be nice, I'm currently on 36k a year + mileage expenses.

I'm somewhat cautious of how niche it is, and that I'm pigeon holing myself, it's a role that only really relates to large scale construction projects, if Construction sh*ts the bed, where's that leave me?

Coworkers are sound, I'm renting a dirt cheap room, living with friends and the house is within walking distance of the office in a major city and at the end of it all I'm just so incredibly bored.

I don't know if I just need a really engaging hobby or if work is the problem.

I feel fortunate to have the job I have but at the same time it's just not engaging and honestly having gone through the review process and looked back at the role/responsibilities, I don't think I'm a good fit.
    Realistically, it's not that I wanted 'less of an office job', I just didn't want an office job full stop.

My job is an auxiliary function, we're never giving anyone a dig out, we're just pestering them for information.
    It's a constant cycle of collating data and generating reports that don't really matter.
    It's also incredibly pedantic, getting pulled over changes in font or extra spaces.

Problem is I have no idea what else I'd do, I'd be taking a pay cut anyway that's for sure.
    I had a brief stent in sales, didn't enjoy that. Was an apprentice electrician too - wouldn't go back at that.

I had no business being in college, hated it, shouldn't have studied Business either.. I was a terrible student, completely incapable of sitting down and studying - I'm fairly certain I've undiagnosed ADHD, which might explain why I get bored so easily/often, but it's nigh impossible to get diagnosed as an adult in Ireland.

A few of the jobs that piqued my interest growing up were: Trauma Doctor, Rescue Swimmer, Pararescue, Winchman.
    Military is ruled out due to Asthma which is unfortunate to say the least.
    I was never going to be a Doctor.
    I've been considering Paramedics but I've heard mostly negative things from Paramedics.

Also considered the Guards, not sure how much I'd enjoy serving my time but I'd like to go down the route of Detective, SDU, ERU etc. - But that's nothing close to guaranteed so how would I fair if I never got to progress?

So I don't know where that leaves me..
    I feel bad because I should be happier that I've somehow ended up in a good job with plenty of upward progression and I'm still looking at the door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

From my experience, work is not going to be engaging every day. The nearer you are to the start of your career too, the more likely the work is going to be more and more repetitive. I generally enjoy the type of work I do and the people I work with. The work is more varied than it was 10 years ago which helps greatly. Being put on projects too can help. Combined with a couple of hobbies and other life outside of work, I don’t get bored often.

The type of jobs you describe being interested in growing up seem very different from what you are doing. You recognise yourself how an office job may not be for you. For me you need to weigh up whether you’ll get enough job satisfaction in what the jobs further up the chain would offer. How long will it take for you to get there is another factor. Combine that with what you’d like to do outside of work and how that fits.

If it’s not appealing then you could start looking into those alternate careers and whether they would be better or could equally pan out boring. Obviously not a light decision to take but it generally won’t get easier to make a career switch further down the line when you’re earning more and might have more responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Before I even read to the end I was thinking in my head “The Guards might be a good fit” you’ve a degree and they snatch people like you up. As far as I’m aware, it takes a year and a half to two years to get in so you could use the time to see if the current job is going to suit you going forward. No harm putting an application in.

Advertisement