Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File system support for USB connected to Eir F3000 Modem

Options
  • 18-05-2024 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hello,

I am hoping to attach an EXT4 formatted 4TB USB HDD to my Eir F3000 and send files to there to back them up hopefully using rsync.

I have a feeling there is no chance the F3000 supports either EXT4 formatted USB storage devices OR the linux backup tool: rsync.

Does anyone know with what file systems types can you format USB drives attached to the Eir F3000?

I have looked through the Eir F3000 manual but it doesn't say. I have a feeling it supports USB storage devices formatted to FAT32 only.

Cheers,

Flex

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! Using what protocol, CIFS/SMB or over ssh/sftp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Manual does indicate FAT32
    https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/support/.galleries/pdfs/support-pdfs/user_manual_f3000.pdf
    image on page46

It does not specify any other supported formats

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Thanks both.

@10-10-20

I was just going to set up a Samba share then rsync to that. But the F3000 would need a version of rsync too I guess which maybe it does not... even if the firmware is Linux based it might be an absolute bare bones OS.

When I connect a 4TB UDD ext4 formatted it doesn't recognise it but it does recognise another USB drive with FAT32 and NTFS partitions. It makes Samba shares for those partition types which I can access from Win 10 but not from a Linux OS.

Is it possible to ssh in to the F3000, maybe the Samba settings could be changed?

I tried these from Windows and Linux with no luck:

'# ssh root@192.168.1.254
    '# ssh admin@192.168.1.254 

Cheers,

Flex

Post edited by FlexMcMurphy on

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I tried a few more things.

So far it seems that the F3000:

1. Is not powerful enough to spin up large capacity USB HDDs.
    2. Is not at all able to mount a SATA SSD in a caddy with USB cable.
    3. I formatted a USB key with an NTFS, FAT32, FAT16 and EXT4 partitions. It can recognise all except EXT4.
    4. I can use smbclient to connect to the samba shares from linux command line:

smbclient -L MyRouter --option='client min protocol=NT1' --user=Admin --no-pass

5. I can also mount samba shares locally provided I force an older SMB protocol. This is likely why the shares do not appear in linux Dolphin file manager which probably does not support the older SMB protocols anymore:

sudo mount -v -t cifs //MyRouter/MYFILES /mnt/public -o user=Admin,pass=,vers=1.0

6. I can also rsync files to that mounted share.

Bottom line:

I cannot attach a large capacity drive to the F3000 and format it as EXT4. It doesn't seem to recognise EXT4 file systems and the only USB storage devices it seems to work with are USB keys/thumb drives.

Flex

Advertisement