Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side passage advice (concrete or slabs)

Options
  • 18-05-2024 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

I am looking for ideas on how to sort out the two side passages I have. For the smaller one I was thinking of just digging out and mixing some concrete to make it easier to get bins in and out.

For the bigger area I have plans down the line to get a lean to built covering it and using it was general storage for bikes etc. Should I try to concrete route here or would slabs be a better idea?

Any downsides to either approach or maybe an alternative instead?

Also would drainage be an issue for either side?

Thank you for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Im in the same boat.

Gonna concrete the side and add a drain so I can hose out the lean to.

I have a feeling that tiles will just be a pain. We get ants in the back garden and the tiles are a magnet for ants nests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

im going to give the smaller area a go hopefully next week. Going to try and concrete it. I've read online about depths and have seen 100mm hardcore followed by 100mm concrete. Would these depths be needed for such a small section?

I was also thinking of putting some steel nails maybe into side of exisiting slab to try and tie it to new section. I'll just have some shuttering along the fence and leave a small slope for water to drain into gap ( might fill with decorative stones).

Also came across this video

Could this technique negate the need for hardcore (and subsequent hassle of removing all the soil)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's a bit of a weird video. He says the important thing is prevent frost heave rather than bearing strength, and then goes on to test strength anyway and completely ignores whether the mudcrete thing actually resists water absorption (which is what causes the frost heave).

I've seen some of his other projects where he has to go back afterwards and re-do, it doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

I wouldn't be putting the steel nails in in an attempt to bind them. The existing concrete looks stable as it is, and you'd be weakening it for little benefit.

Make the new pour stand on its own and put a flexible seal down between them like bitumen or tar or maybe a PVA Bonding agent here in the 21st century!! Epoxy grout rings a bell too, but it's been a while.

If the concrete goes right you'll happily forget about it quickly. If it doesn't you'll be cursing it daily for years, so it's worth taking your time!

Advertisement