Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharkey Ward

Options
  • 19-05-2024 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭

I see that Nigel “Sharkey” Ward passed away recently

Sea Harrier over the Falklands won’t be getting any more updates.

I was surprised to see he was 81. Then again I’m surprised that the falklands war was 42 years ago!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

In fairness, he was old for a jump jet jockey, but he was one of the best. 4 combat kills in the Falklands I think, One with cannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

4 kills......in one day! A Pucara and 3 Daggers. And another transport the day after

He was a test pilot, staff officer, air group commander and pilot officer all at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I wrote the below over on twitter. Ward and his work in creating the doctrine for sea harrier use was a huge contributing factor the British victory in the Falklands.

Couple that with sheer luck of Hermes still being in service and the cute hoor cattle trading that allowed the RN to retain any fixed wing capability at all via the "through deck cruiser" Invincible that allowed a 2 carrier task force to be sent south.

That luck, and the concurrent work Ward undertook with the Sea Harrier intensive flight trials unit and on into his command of 801 squadron were massive factors in allowing the UK impose itself with any confidence in the South Atlantic.

Further to the Falklands, there are plenty of interesting stories involving Ward, in particular the effort he put himself and his pilots thru in DACT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Without impuning in any way his skills as an aviator or as a Harrier unit commander, I found Sea Harrier over the Falklands to be something of a monument to himself. Gives the impression of “Had everyone above me in the chain of command followed my wisdom, we would have won faster and with fewer casualties. Especially those hare brains in the RAF and that ignorant submariner in charge of the task force”.

I get that confidence almost to the point of arrogance is a trait in successful fighter pilots, but the attitude did not sit well with me, and he did nothing to convince me that he knew more than anyone else above him in the chain about things outside his lane. As an air wing commander, sure, but flag officers are generalists. (Ergo “general officer” in the Army)

Advertisement