Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who don't know their European Parliament constituency

• 19-05-2024 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭

I have been a bit surprised at the amount of people I've talked to who don't know which European Parliament constituency they live in and who they can vote for, has anyone else come across this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

Considering "Midlands North-West" touches both the Atlantic and Irish Seas, I think the confusion is fair

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are only three European Parliament constituencies on the island - its jot hard to know which one you're living in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ask them do they know what MEPs actually do for a real surprise

Nobody really gives a crap about it in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

nobody cares because…

the EU politicians and EU politics are disinterested and out of touch with the lives of regular EU citizens.

look at the three leaders, all millionaire geriatrics…

The EU has pretty much stopped serving it’s citizens as a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Shan Doras

I would concede tho that there are certain things that are a bit strange/confusing like having Offaly and Laois in "Ireland South" rather than Midlands N.W until this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't remember if it's still the case, but the polling cards you used to get in the post, tell you where your local polling station is, but they never told you what constituency or local electoral area you live in, which always seemed like a stupid omission to me. How much extra would it cost to include that information?

I thought the electoral commission might improve some usability aspects of elections like this, but no sign of anything yet. The checktheregister site seems to repeat the same information as on the polling cards, but nothing about the area or constituency you are actually in.

Post edited by plodder on

Advertisement