Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barely any water coming from cold tap in kitchen

Options
  • 19-05-2024 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there. Over a week ago, my water pressure from the cold water tap just dropped and all I was getting was a thin trickle. I assumed it was because of water works in the area. The following day it was the same. I asked a neighbour and they said their water was fine. I checked the Irish Water website and there were no works in the area.

I got a plumber to come out and he checked everything and couldn't find anything that could cause it. He changed the kitchen tap but that didn't make a difference. For reference, the outside tap has the same low pressure with barely a trickle of water coming out. I rang Irish Water and a guy came out and checked the mains at the footpath and said that it was all fine there. The plumber has basically given up and doesn't have a clue what the reason behind it is. Does anyone have an idea? It's extremely difficult living with such limited water. Thank God I can have a shower because the tank in the attic fills up overnight but I can't use the washing machine or dishwasher and it takes over a minute to fill the kettle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

my main stopcock inside the house is leaking and faulty and had the same effect. Washing machine and dishwasher showing low pressure errors and not running.

Being logical it’s a process of elimination. If Irish water say pressure is fine going into house from meter there’s only pipe from your meter to the stopcock the onto the things you mentioned.

Id be inclined to remove stopcock and see what pressure is like with a new one or at least narrow it down further by ruling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

If you could be in a situation where you can see pressure is ok or not ok before it hits the stopcock it would narrow it right down to meter and one pipe.

If it’s ok the problem is inside the house but if it’s not ok then you know it’s the pipe under driveway or meter. There’s nothing else involved really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Most likely you have a mains water leak on your property, after the meter.

I'm a bit stunned that your plumber changed the kitchen tap without checking the pressure going into the old tap. Had he done this he would have known nothing wrong with the tap. Another dead give away is the fact that the outside tap is as bad.

It's something you need resolved quickly as your attic tank is likely not to be filling as quickly as it should be. It could run dry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Irish water do a first leak fix free scheme. They should check if you a leak coming into the house not just at the footpath.. I'm not sure if they will check inside the house.. have you a tap somewhere inside to shut off the water? Doesn't sound like the case but some taps don't work in low pressure areas.. you say your outside tap is also slow so that kinda rules that out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

If the leak is likely to be in your driveway Irish Water has a First Fix for Free programme that deals with such. Make contact with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dublin City Handyman

Leek between road and Fresh water valve under kitchen sink.. Irish water will find and repair a leak from the road to the front of the house..

Advertisement