Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to Hong Kong.

Options
  • 20-05-2024 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭

What is the best airline and route to use when flying Dublin to Hong Kong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

It depends on your budget, and whether your prefer two medium-long flights (via dubai) or one short and one lone(via London or Frankfurt say)

As far as possible, I try to go Via London if at all possible for long-hauls which I can't get direct from Dublin, my logic being that if I'm delayed on the return leg, there are loads of London-Dublin flights, so I'll just be put on the next one, rather than wait ages in Dubai. Same goes for lost baggage, and everyone speaks English which is a help.

I've done Dublin-Zurich-Hong Kong, and Dublin-Doha-Hong Kong, return, both Business class.

Zurich's SWISS Lounge is amazing, as is the Cathay Pacific lounge which Qatar used in Hong Kong. I had a long wait in Zurich outbound, so took a train into the city for a few hours, but it was boring on the weekend tbh. Doha airport was a bit of a sweaty crowded mess.

In terms of Economy seating, Emirates is probably best (I've gone to other places in Asia with them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Second flying from London, though I am coming from Cork. Saves the drive to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lena11

Most recently I did this via Turkey (Turkish Airlines Business Class) but we were not in a rush to get there. If you are not in a rush Turkish provide overnight hotels/sightseeing trips / private bedrooms in the Lounge area depending on your layover time. Istanbul is a huge but clean airport.

Before I have gone via Heathrow (economy) but I HATE Heathrow and prefer to avoid it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Thanks. Good information there. I absolutely hate sweaty, crowded airports, that is why I am moving away from medium medium flights to short long flights, such as Zurich, Helsinki, Munich etc.

The only concern for me is that on the short long legs I might feel trapped if the plane is a sweaty mess. By breaking the journey half way I can minimise this.

I have flown Etihad via Abu Dhabi and hated every minute of it, including Etihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Via LHR and Cathay Pacific nonstop.

I don't know how things are now, but Cathay Pacific was a very good experience back then.

Don't know how Hong Kong is now, with China and human rights issues here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Finnair is another option, you can get their premium economy for a very small price increase and Helsinki airport is easy to breeze through with short layovers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

My favourite routing was the Cathay Pacific direct flight to HK. It was brilliant but alas not flown now.

Second favourite , (now option 1)routing to Asia would be short - long leg via Europe. It's better for sleeping on the long leg versus two medium length flights. I prefer an afternoon departure out of Dub so you get to sleep at a more normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭skinnyfries

I recently did DUB - Dubai - Hong Kong return with Emirates, fantastic, My sister travels regularly from Hong Kong to Dublin with 2 little people in tow, and finds Finnair best followed by Turkish Airlines ( she feels IST - DUB is long when you’re excited about coming home!) Air France via Paris and whoever via Munich or Frankfurt are long transfers and a pain in the hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

What was Dubai airport like? After you land is it easy enough to get to your gate for the next leg? Is there plenty of seating, good air conditioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

i transitted throughly it last September & found it okay. I was going to Cape Town & had to get the tube from one part to another. It’s well A/C’d & plenty of seating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭skinnyfries

Dubai airport is massive! We had to change terminals (regular trains) and there was still a lot of walking. It’s very impressive, plenty of eating options, shops, seating and air conditioning. We arrived at night both times and I couldn’t believe how busy it was.

Advertisement