Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bike recommendation for fit light woman

Options
  • 21-05-2024 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I've been volunteered to help a young lady, age 30. She will be using it for sportifs and social days out, with perhaps a 3-day tour once a year. She has no bother cycling events like the Ring of Beara 140k, but is not into weekly racing or club commitments. One bike, not interested in N=N+1.

She wants an all singing all dancing carbon bike.

I suggest she gets a high spec aluminium bike, with Ultegra or Dura Ace electric shifting and hydraulic brakes. Eyelets for a carrier (pannier) and for 'proper' mudguards would be nice. Not sure what wheels to suggest.

My grudge against carbon is that they seem to need to be treated like prima donnas, owners need to be careful with car transit, special carriers etc., and the eternal 'is it damaged' question after a fall (I've never ridden or owned a carbon bike).

What make / model would you suggest? Likely purchasing from one of the west Dublin shops.

(she will have no bother financing it, but doesn't want something that would unduly attract thieves)

All suggestions gratefully welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What size?

Savage value on the 2nd hand market for small bikes. Smaller market, harder to sell

I've had way more problems with aluminium frames failing. Never had an issue with a carbon bike and carbon is much easier to get repaired in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Size S or M, I expect. She wants to used the C2W tax benefit, so new only.

Well if she wants carbon and dura ace she's looking at between 8 and 15 grand, in which case the btw scheme is only a pittance, relatively speaking. She'll do much better out of a bit of horse trading and bargaining.

I'd recommend hollingsworth cycles Kilmacud. Good stock to choose from, able to source other bikes and crucially - are open to negotiation and discounting.

But in today's market I'd be going to all the shops, seeing what I really like and going hard on the bottom line. - Don't mind that "yerra we'll throw in a free (cheap) lock and helmet" malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Liv langma disc small sized womens version of giant tcr have one brand new for sale.

My daughter races on a langma xs pro1 disc version with mechanical ultegra she used to ride a canyon aeroad cf slx, langma is more comfortable geared towards multi day/ stage racing, canyons way more stiffer and it feels faster but unforgiving really according to her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd second a liv langma. The missus has one and they're a class bike, look the part also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

If the woman in the OP is looking for a bike for sportifs, short tours, does not race and wants the facility for mudguards, then the Liv Avail (AR for aluminium or Advanced for carbon) would be a far better match than the Langma.

Advertisement