Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV, Frigate & Home assistant sanity check

Options
  • 21-05-2024 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm currently spitballing the plan to replace my old and creaking CCTV with analog cameras, with a 5 camera digital camera setup.

My current plan is to install 4 POE cameras leading back to a POE switch in my attic. That switch connected back to my Router.

Now I'm trying to figure out my best option for storage. I have a NAS available as well as a few 2.5" hard disks. I've come up with 2 options that I think might work but, I'm hoping smarter heads here can critique.

Option 1. 4 cameras wired to POE switch. POE switch connected to Router and managed via Frigate in HA. Mount a share from the NAS directly in HA and use that folder as the CCTV archive.

Option 2. 4 cameras wired to POE switch. POE switch connected to Router and managed via Frigate in HA. Connect a USB hard drive to HA and store the CCTV archive locally on that drive.

I'm leaning towards option 2 for a couple of reasons. Primarily that should I need to review or provide CCTV, that the drive can just be swapped. It also ensures that my NAS storage health isn't degraded quicker by constant read/write. Simpler to swap a USB drive than risk my media & backups archive.

So, may I ask? Are either of those options a runner? Are the better methods that I'm missing?

Advertisement