Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup (Champions Cup) Final build up thread

Options
  • 22-05-2024 12:05pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The pinnacle club rugby fixture is coming in over the horizon, as Leinster Rugby and Stade Toulousain battle it out in the Investec Champions Cup Final this Saturday. The state of the art Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is the venue, and the stage is set for an unforgettable afternoon of action between these two titans of the URC and the French Top 14.

The two most decorated clubs in EPCR history, Leinster Rugby and Stade Toulousain will both be appearing in their eighth tournament final. Stade Toulousain lead the way with five Champions Cup titles whilst Leinster have four and are looking to equalise their French counterparts this weekend. The Dubliners will be playing in their third consecutive Champions Cup Final and will once again be taking on opponents from the land of ‘Les Bleus’.

shamelessly stolen from:

https://www.ruck.co.uk/two-most-decorated-epcr-clubs-champions-cup-final-preview-leinster-rugby-vs-stade-toulousain/

have at it !!!!

Leinster by 15 points

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Dubliners…???

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

OLSC CC final travel guide attached:

Supporters Bases – Before KO – THE BEEHIVE

Before kick-off why not look to meet friends at The Beehive, tucked away in the heart Tottenham with cosy interiors and a large beer garden. Located about a 10min walk from Tottenham Hale Station, they’re known as the best spot in Tottenham for pre and post-match drink/ food playing host to both home and away supporters.

Supporters Base – AFTER KO - O Neills Wardour St

O’Neill’s Wardour Street After the final whistle we’ll be relocating to O’Neill’s Wardour Street. Just a short walk from Leicester Square Tube Station, this is your Local Irish Pub in Soho, London.

its an english publication, these things are to be expected

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Stupid me - I missed that it was cut and pasted from the linked article.

runs away

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

For those who care, Leinster are narrowest of favourites with bookies, a one-point handicap.

• Advertisement

• can a mod please correct the title of this thread to avoid confusion. It’s a lame private joke from @sydthebeat calling it the “Heineken cup” and everyone knows that private jokes go down like lead balloons once outside the group and make people look silly.

google "heineken cup 2024" and post the first result here please?

if its a "private joke" id like to get all my royalties from google please, and ill retire immediately :D

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Google “rabobank rugby pro12 2024” and tell me what you find.

You know well that Heinekens title sponsorship finished last season and it’s called the investec cup (unless you have zero interest in rugby) but choose to try to act cool. You have even referenced it on the post you copied and paste, did you not preread your post? Not the first time you’ve tired to push a private joke agenda on here. Gets boring

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think you might be reading something into this that isn't there. Pretty much everyone I know (including me) still refers to it as the Heineken Cup.

Anyway, roll on Saturday! It's going to be a long day (flying out at 06.20) but I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Investec? Never once heard of that and I watch most European matches!!!! It turns out to be correct of course.

I thought Heineken took it back over again recently?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Heading over Saturday morning, looking forward to it. I thought it was just Investec cause of the laws in France around alcohol advertising, Heineken still a major sponsor.

whatever, go be argumentative somewhere else, youre not worth any response.

all on board the Heineken Cup train !!!! choo choo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A lot of people still refer to it as the Heineken Cup. Brilliant branding by Heineken, awful by Investec.

Do you work in Investec marketing department or something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Time to move on to talking about the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Very hard to call this one. Leinster have gotten the better of Toulouse in our last three fixtures, including two semi finals in a row.

That was a differently coached Leinster team though and I worry that Leinsters move away from the tight attacking structure, centred around the pod system and quickly clearing out the rucks, might play into how Toulouse like defending.

Toulouse's main defensive weapon is the poach. How Leinster attacked under Lancaster meant it was very hard for them to get to grips at the breakdown and they were blown away as a result. Leinster still attack that way but, but it's less polished as we've clearly focussed a lot of time on defence and in developing our unstructured, transition attack. It worked well against La Rochelle, but may not suit against Toulouse.

We've performed well on the big occasions this season, namely the home and away victories over La Rochelle. The QF victory was even more impressive considering we were without two World Class players in Keenan and Ryan. Their return last weekend has been timely and could swing the final in our favour.

Toulouse are prone to giving up penalties and line breaks of they can't poach the ball. We've seen that they can be scored against rather frequently as well. If we keep the pressure on we can force mistakes from them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can see it being close up to about 50 minutes then Toulouse will score a couple of times in quick succession and put it to bed. Best way to stop them is to force errors and penalties around the contact area and kick for points. Kelleher will probably score late on to make it look close.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I can't call it, think it'll be very close and decided by a moment of magic (Dupont/Ntamack/Gibson Park) or madness with a yellow or red. Just hoping Jacques holds the key. Cant even consider being 0/3 on Sunday morning flying home.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭StormForce13

Aren't Investec big in South Africa? That may explain their involvement. Also, the South African teams didn't participate in the Heineken Cup, so perhaps the aim is to try to get them to call it the Investec Cup (or the I Cup for short)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

3 tickets available if anyone is still looking

Face value

The Heineken Investec Champions Cup, or HICCUP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Its weeks like this that you'd miss Venjur. Shame he's gone.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think the previous results against Toulouse carry any weight tbh. I know you hammered them 2 years ago but I think too much has changed since then.

Leinster's defensive system is very different under Nienaber vs Lancaster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We hammered them 2 years ago and last year and I agree it's meaningless.

It's less the defensive system then what we do with the ball that concerns me.

• Hammered them 1 year ago too (41-22).

We've played them 14 times overall, winning 8 (57.14%), but we've won 5 out of the last 6 games between the teams with an average winning margin of 14 points.

It's not nothing - the concept of bogey teams is real, and I feel if Leinster make a good start and get a lead here, this sort of stuff will weigh heavily on Toulouse. Throw in the last two big wins in the last two seasons an Ireland team have had that is majority Leinster against a French team that is majority Toulouse too.

On the flip side, you could definitely argue eventually these things flip around, and just like Leinster had huge motivation to beat LAR this year, Toulouse must have that in buckets for Leinster.

Just to point out, if Toulouse win this then Leinster will have lost more finals in the Champions Cup than any other club (4).

Currently tied with Leicester, Clermont and Racing on 3.

Toulon have been runners up in the Challenge Cup 4 times, so in overall Europe terms you'd tie with them on that.

Still a 50% win rate in finals, as opposed to the 0% of Clermont and Racing but a pretty **** run of 4 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

rumoured leinster side:

1. Porter
    2. Sheehan
    3. Furlong
    4. Jenkins
    5. McCarthy
    6. Baird
    7. Connors
    8. Doris
    9. JGP
    10. Ross
    11. Lowe
    12. Osborne
    13. Henshaw
    14. Larmor
    15. Keenan
    16. Kelleher
    17. Healy
    18. Mike A
    19. Ryan
    20. Conan
    21. JVDF
    22. McGrath
    23. Frawley

Hell of a lot of oomph from that bench.

Need JGP to go 80 again.

• Advertisement

rumoured Toulouse line up:

1. Baille
    2. Marchand
    3. Aldegheri
    4. Flament
    5. Meafou
    6. Cros
    7. Willis
    8. Roumat
    9. Dupont
    10. Ntamack
    11. Lebel
    12. Ahki
    13. Costes
    14. Mallia
    15. Kinghorn

https://x.com/actu_stade/status/1793333901370253419

"white bib" theory

id be delighted if the dont start Ramos to be honest.

Advertisement