Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup (Champions Cup) Final build up thread

Comments

• Basically it's Will Connors over Jimmy O'Brien. It's a really close call. If we don't have any injuries in the backline, then Connors is probably the right option.

• This is the rumoured Toulouse selection doing the rounds as well:

1 Baille
    2 Marchand
    3 Aldegheri
    4 Flament
    5 Meafou
    6 Cros
    7 Willis
    8 Roumat
    9 Dupont
    10 Ntamack
    11 Lebel
    12 Ahki
    13 Costes
    14 Mallia
    15 Kinghorn

Really interesting to me if they opt for Marchand over Mauvaka - to me it's the logical call, but it hasn't been the way they've selected their sides this season. I think it points to them trying to go after us on the deck and go for jackals.

Leinster and Ireland have done a good job historically negating Jack Willis, by running and him and making him the tackler. If he has 15+ tackles on Saturday then I think we win.

Kinghorn over Ramos is a huge call. Kinghorn hasn't looked overly convincing IMO off the tee, and the Molecast yesterday had a great stat about how of the last 6 or so finals Toulouse have won (Top14 and Europe) their kicking stats are over 90% across those games. Kinghorn is probably the better player, but Ramos is unquestionably the better kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yeah, Toulouse's continues preference of Kinghorn over Ramos in these games is interesting.

I still think Toulouse will be licking their lips at Larmour - he's vulnerable in the backfield and didn't feature much v Northampton (mind none of Leinster's attack did feature that day to any great extent). I'd be very surprised if O'Brien wasn't in instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I don't like the 6-2 split, too risky. I'd prefer to see JOB on the bench in a 5-3, or starting ahead of Larmourin a 6-2. Larmour is playing great rugby but I think JOB pace and all-round game (under the high ball, cover other positions) is more attractive/less disruption with an injury. And I'd go Foley on the bench, I know it's not going to happen, but I don't know why you put someone on you know is going to be poor - they should have left Foley at 9 last week as a trial. I'd also start Ryan, I still am not over Jenkins no show last year as sub, I'd prefer to let Ryan empty himself.

• I would definitely go for JOB over Larmour. It's harsh on Larmour who has had a really good season and hasn't done much wrong, but for a variety of reasons I'd have JOB:

-think he's quicker in a straight line (doesn't have Larmour's footwork), has better hands and better ability to link the play.

-He's a much better defender IMO, even though this is an area where Larmour has improved this season. Think JOB is more secure under a high ball and his positioning in the backfield is generally better.

-He's way more versatile, can cover at least 4 positions to a higher level IMO.

• Advertisement

He's way more versatile

Hehehe, I see what you did there :)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ruck (and DuPont, obviously) the big factor in this one for me.

Leinster are far more willing to throw bodies into the defensive ruck to disrupt under Nienaber, whereas it was way more about bodies on your feet and in the line under Lancaster. If they can disrupt the clean ball, that’s a huge win for them.

The flip side is, committing numbers to the ruck means fewer in the line, and more space out wide. Even at a ruck that Leinster don’t contest, DuPont’s presence alone will bring a gravity towards it, narrowing Leinster. Couple that with Leinster’s up-and-in defence, it could leave a lot of space out wide if Toulouse can get it beyond the edge.

You could see Leinster stifling for large spells in regular phase play, but Toulouse making 30 yards off one phase, imo.

Having said all that, I have a suspicion Leinster are going to put on a clinic here and run out 12-15 point winners. Maybe with Doris with a MOTM performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Weather looking clear and dry for Saturday. Highs of 20°.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ribs1234

Leinster have so much talent in the back row it makes sense to put two of them on the bench. We don’t have that talent depth in the back line to go 5-3

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Has Kinghorne actually played since he broke his nose in semi, seems pretty quick recovery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Leinster to come out and try to throw absolutely everything at Toulouse in the first 30 minutes and kill the game off early. If Toulouse can hold on within a score I think they'll go ahead with a purple patch after Leinster's strong start and be able to hold out till the end. If Leinster can execute and not give Toulouse turnover ball to attack from in the first 30 minutes I think the game will be effectively over by halftime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ramos lost the head last year and really should have got a red card for a tackle in second half. Leinster had his number and got him wound up very easily. That could be in Toulouse mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Where is a good pub in Dublin to watch it? I won’t be too early so it shouldn’t be jammed. One more stipulation. Am staying at the airport but can travel to Southside.

Imagine being able to bring on Mauvaka as an impact sub.

The Bridge, The Bath, The Landmark, Slatterys, Merrion Inn are the places recommended by the Supporters Club. Recommend booking a table if you can.

Bear in mind that the FA Cup Final is on at the same time so a regular sports bar could have that on whereas you can guarantee the ones above will have the Leinster game as priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's where I'd recommend too. Ryan's on Beggar's Bush will absolutely have the game as well.

The Baggot Street pubs will be showing the rugby too. Doheny & Nesbitt, Searsons, McGrattans etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Dont wander off Tottenham high road the day of the match most definetly at night time , an area thats really gone downhill with stabbings/potscode gang wars etc over the past ten years

Yes. Terrible timing. Thanks for that. Haven’t been in the Merrion Inn in many decades.

• Advertisement

It must be such a privilege to have both the first choice and second choice international hooker playing for the same team... ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Similar to Leinster, both Toulouse hookers are home grown developed from their academy.

So no, it's not "privilege" ...... it's actually down to hard work of the staff of both teams. It's shows they must be doing something very right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

GT is getting all excited. "assuredly" in each of his articles today.

McCarthy made his first European start against Racing 92 in last season’s pool stages and he would assuredly have been afforded a bigger role for both Leinster and Ireland if not for the ankle injury that ruled him out of the Six Nations. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2024/05/24/champions-cup-leinster-lock-joe-mccarthy-looks-forward-to-playing-key-role-against-toulouse/

It thus seems virtually certain that Keenan will be restored at fullback, while Ryan will assuredly be named in the match-day squad when it is announced at midday on Friday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2024/05/23/leinster-ponder-champions-cup-selection-calls-as-will-connors-pushes-for-starting-berth/

Must be holding back on "Aristocrats" for tomorrow along with the numerous French phrases.

He's a full blown parody of himself.

He needs help. An editor would be a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think thats the crux of it.

If JGP goes off or gets a bad knock it puts the 10 into a position that he is not comfortable / able to do effectively and control the play run the game as well as JGP.

TL will surely try and target him, run at him make him tackle tie him up in rucks and make some dominant tackles on him, no more so than leinster will with dupont.

The game could be won by the team making the opposition 9 work the hardest off the ball.

Privilege: noun

a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed by a particular person or a restricted group of people beyond the advantages of most

A privilege is a right or advantage gained by birth, social position, effort, or concession.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/privilege Not everything has to be construed as some kind of attack or complaint ...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hummmm

I've read that link, both American and British, and I see no reference to "effort" as bestowing privilege.

In fact both common definitions actually contradict that:

a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed by a particular person or a restricted group of people beyond the advantages of most

the unearned and mostly unacknowledged societal advantage that a restricted group of people has over another group

So wherever you got that obscure definition, I suggest you disregard.

Advantage gained by effort most absolutely is not "privilege"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

🙂

Sheehan honed his skills as a hooker(!) in the back streets of Bucharest.

Mauvaka on the volleyball court of Nouméa's beaches.

https://rugby365.com/countries/france/from-third-choice-hooker-at-toulouse-to-potential-world-cup-bolter/

It's in the section below. Literally a direct quote. Privilege literally has two meanings: as you've highlighted - an advantage enjoyed by particular groups (which is clearly the case) and then the cultural societal "white" privilege.

Anyways, I was just poking fun at how both Leinster and Toulouse both have the first and second choice international hookers. Nothing more. There's no need to be so truculent.

Things which are nice to have that others don't have are a privilege - it's not that deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Great build up chats lads

• Advertisement

Here we go...

Advertisement