Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION - 4TH JULY

Options

Comments

Some Tory MPs need to stop thinking about themselves — it's entirely selfish.

Tory support will only decline the further this election is delayed.

It makes sense, for both the country and the Tory party, to hold the election as soon as possible. It's inevitable that the Labour Party will win the election.

Those Tory MPs hoping to replace Sunak with "an election winner" are delusional. It simply will not happen. They are being very, very selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Sunak didn't care about them"

Well they are British citizens so what did they expect.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

OMG - was that Steve Bray playing the music in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yep. Only stopped because the rain blew his speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭supereurope

There's so many unlikable high-profile Tories, it's hard to pick on. The good news is, there's going to be lots of them losing their seats. Rees-Mogg, Jonathan Guilis and Andrea Jenykns are some of the worst and they're all predicted to lose their seats.

I'd love to see Gove go, the LibDems have been after his seat (oo-er) for a while and they won council control there last year. Polling looks healthy enough atm for Gove, but if voters stay away from Labour and go to the LibDems, then the seat will turn yellow.

That said, Gove is such a little worm I wouldn't be surprised if he stands down beforehand.

While he's no longer Tory, I'd love to see Lee Anderson lose his seat too.

• Advertisement

This from The Guardian…

Conservative MPs are feeling baffled and furious about the election, and some are submitting letters of no confidence in Sunak, the New Statesman reports.

“To say Westminster did not see this coming was an understatement,” writes editor Rachel Cunliffe. “Up until this morning, No 10 had sent very strong signals that an election would not be called until the autumn.”

There is “widespread fury” in the party from MPs, candidates, grassroots activists, advisers and parliamentary aides, who will lose their jobs if the people they work for lose their seats.

One texted Cunliffe to tell her the decision was cruel. Another described it as heartbreaking.

There is still no understanding of why Sunak chose to make the announcement, she writes, but MPs have told her “it’s a terrible idea”, “I don’t get it”, “really odd”, “he’s given up” and “we deserve to lose”.

Another called the day’s proceedings “a shitshow”.

“It’s hard to imagine a less united party heading into a six-week election campaign,” she concludes.

Funny, I'm finding it very hard to have sympathy for any of them. I guess they thought they had more time to milk expenses and find NED roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Looks like he's been banned from the area.

Edit: sorry that the link doesn't work

https://x.com/snb19692/status/1793326656825819623?t=3GQ_XVq1jFincTpmAae7SA&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,799 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In the same vein:

"Interesting that the reaction of Tory MPs tonight is fatalistic about the result but fury at Sunak. They thought they had 5/6 months to get a job, to plan their lives. They think Sunak doesn't care about them with his millions and his US home. "Selfish" a word I've heard a lot."

https://x.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1793385211624816820

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

A great start for Sunak and co by banning Steve Bray and then removing a Sky News presenter from a press briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭drury..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Don't understand the reason for calling the election now. Yes the economic numbers are not as terrible as in the past but surely they should wait for people to actually feel the effects?

Possible interest rate cut in August..election will be over.

Maybe they are hoping for a good Euros? No final isn't until 14th July.

I just don't understand the thinking behind calling it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There isn't going to be a "good time". It's going to be a shitshow entirely of their own making. Calling it in summer gets it over with and the weather ought to be good so there's that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The poll numbers haven't improved since Sunak took over. Seems he finally accepted they were never going to turn around and he's decided to get it over with. Plus, things could be worse by the autumn, might as well call it while there is some good economic news. Sunak might also have been facing a VONC during the summer, and even though he'd survive it, he couldn't go into a GE campaign having just survived a VONC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ironically, at one point it looked as though that description might characterise Sunak, but it turned out that he couldn't tick the "effective" box.

Mmm. Voters are much more enthusiastic about Labour than they are about Reform. Both the opinion polls and the local election results show the Tories bleeding far more votes to the left than to the right.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Best case scenario would be a coalition with the lib dems to bring in electoral reform. FPTP has been disastrous

The FPTP system delivers enormous power to the two established parties, at the expense of voters. For obvious reasons, both of the dominant parties will be highly averse to getting rid of it. And they'll be reinforced in that stance by the fact that in 2011 the public voted 2-to-1 to retain FPTP. That's the kind of margin in a referendum that really does settle a question for a generation.

It's true that FPTP is extremely difficult to defend as a matter of principle, and that in recent years it has been delivering truly dreadful outcomes. If the UK reaches a point of decline where they really can't avoid a long hard look at their political and constitutional structure, I think in that context FPTP would be vulnerable. But, honestly, I think it's safe unless and until that point is reached.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"Being selfish" is pretty much the raison d'etre of most Tory MPs, so I don't know why you're surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have absolutely no faith or trust in the voting British public.

How that crowd of gangsters, lunatics and odious cretins lasted 14 years will always remain a mystery. Honestly when Liz Truss became PM I had to keep reminding myself it wasn't an episode of Black Mirror, imagine making Bojo look credible.

Labour have had nearly a decade and a half to put together some sort of credible alternative populated with proper leaders.

They haven't, it's pretty underwhelming TBF and they are running on the less than enthusiastic line of we need change.

Briton on every single metric is now worse off than it was 14 years ago, Briton doesn't need change it needs a complete reset and the British public need to do their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

FPTP benefits the two largest parties and therefore will not be removed as it's in the interest of both to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lib Dems won't be trying that again after the last time.

July and August are the months with the highest increase in the boat people crossing the channel. Headlines like that would reinforce to the general public that Sunak failed to solve the problem — despite all his claims over the past number of years. His mantra was, "Stop The Boats". He failed to stop the boats.

Having the election now avoids that political headache. If the election were held in November, Starmer would be able to point to those figures and Sunak would look ridiculous.

Furthermore, polling consistently shows no improvement for the Conservatives — so better to cut their losses now rather than risk even more loss in the future. If I were Sunak, I would have made the same decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

The Racist party are going to be absolutely destroyed. Lucky to get 60 seats.

I lived in Bishop Stortford for a few years which would be Conservative, rumour even that will go to Labour

**** them. A scourge to Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Randycove

Labour’s response was to make Jeremy Corbyn their leader, someone who is completely and utterly unelectable as PM.

If Corbyn had won the last election, the UK would still be dithering about whether or not it is in or out of the EU and the uncertainty would have been ten times worse than leaving.

Not to mention of course, Putin would have taken control of Ukraine very quickly and would now be having coke and hookers with Jezza on a yacht in Mallorca.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also, he gets his family to the US in time for the academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Randycove

Indeed. FPTP means that the UK has only had two ruling parties in the last 100 years.

Unlike out PR-STV system which means we have had two ruling parties over the last 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Our crowd here will be looking nervously on!

Both of these statements are objectively wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Corbyn's antics proved that the extreme left is every bit as odious as the extreme right to the average voter.

Also, he needed to be cognisant of the factions in his party, supporting one will alienate the other. This was especially true of Corbyn with the antisemitism in the Labour party under his watch and walking on eggshells with Muslim faction propping him up.

Advertisement