Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION - 4TH JULY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well let's wait and see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In other words, you can't even be bothered to make your own argument.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You are right, you don't seem to know anything and I'm not teaching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't require teaching from anyone, least of all someone spouting MAGA tropes. We're done here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Did Sunak hold his seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

According to Wikipedia Labour's vote dropped by over half a million votes this time around compared to 2019, and they lost over 3 million compared to 2017.

The reality is that Starmer underwhelms in almost every way - 33.8% of the votes, with slightly under 60% of the electorate bothering to vote. Which means that Labour in 2024 managed to convince very slightly more than 20% of the electorate to vote for them.

Starmer has the backing of just 1 in five potential voters, which is hardly a great endorsement of his leadership. It looks like Labour under Starmer - while certainly having gained a vast majority in parliament - may be going the same route as FF in Ireland. If you just count MPs, his mandate looks overwhelming, however the underlying figures tell a completely different story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

" gained more than half a million fewer votes"

i've had a few beers, so excuse me if this confuses me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Counting MPs is literally all that matters.

I don't care for FPTP but it is the system that is in place, and thus the system that parties and voters moderate all their actions towards. And in that system all that matters is winning seats and Labour won an awful lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's pretty much a 2 horse race, one party has to win.

According to Wikipedia Labour's Tory's vote dropped by over half a million votes 7.5 million votes (that can't be right????) this time around compared to 2019.

If you can't get someone to vote for you, you can't go blaming the other party! It looks clear the Tory's lost their voters.

Johnson got a win with 29%…. that's ok, but Starmer getting a win with only 20% is bad?

What's you're threshold…. 25%…. 24.5%?

Our current government seemed to have lasted despite SF having the popular vote. We don't (and neither do the UK) elect a government on a popular vote. We elect members of our political chambers, it's not like a presidential race.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,360 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Apparently it is - just shy of 14 million votes in 2019, 6.8 in this one. They probably lost more votes to Reform UK than to Labour though - Labour's share of the popular vote only went up slightly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

SNP down from 48 seats to 9 seats 😲

Sounds like they have been consumed by their very own "Hate monster" which they tried to foist upon the people of Scotland, that plus all the carry-on with their obsession in pushing the gender self id stuff even after it was rejected by Westminster & by the Scottish electorate. Banging on about Indi ref II was another mistake, not forgetting the Sturgeon saga & the in-house fighting with Salmond. All in all the SNP (like the Tories) need some time out to regroup & reconsider their policies before attempting to get reelected. Disastrous result for the SNP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It does put the Scottish independence fight on a longer finger no doubt but Scotland had a part to play in getting that nut job Conservative party out of power and they did that. Their day will come, it'll take patience.

I noticed that the former leader Alex Salmond was running another independence party called Alba who got nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

….

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

FPTP is so weird a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's call democracy. People are not forced to vote lihenin some countries where its mandatory or have to vote because an authorities regime would consider you a dissident.

Starmer won tge election. I am not a fan of FPTP but that is the UK system it oro ide for stable government with the largest party not having to usually negotiate with smaller minority parties. Yes they get coalitions every 40 but in general they have fairly stable governance.

However if Labour have an sense they will bring in some sort of change to the UK system whether its runoff or a form of PR like list systems with a minimum threshold.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It makes sense in a lot of ways at a constituency level as it's vote for your favoured candidate , most votes wins the constituency.It's very simple

However it's stupid for national government elections as it massively discourages people from voting and if you're in a safe labour/tory constituency why the hell would you bother voting when you know your vote will be pointless, it's a system that is quite disenfranchising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do any countries use FPTP with multi seat constituencies? E.g. a three seater where it's the three candidates with the most votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Shan Doras

Question - what happens in the UK with their FPTP system if the top two candidates in a constituency got the exact same number of votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

England does for council elections. You get multiple votes to match the seats available

Usually means 2* or 3* same party but not always. Brighton has had lots of Green / Labour split wards. Also makes it a little easier for Independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the FPtP system seems to hide upcoming problems , KS is still a boring leader and labour werent elected to get some ambitious programme through , the electorate just wanted to punish the Conservatives (which is fine) but it means 2029 is liable to be rocky

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I don't care if Starmer is boring. In fact, I'd prefer it. Government is serious business and deserves serious people, not the cretins we've had to endure for the past decade and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Lib dems won another seat in Scotland. They had a good election, all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the funny thing to watch though is will it stay boring, or will it become the SNP on steroids . Ill lean the second over time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So it's her fault? What did she do to encourage these people?

Advertisement