Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION - 4TH JULY

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Liz Truss had life experience. Trump has life experience. Hell, Biden should be automatically reelected as he has the most life experience I suppose.

He does have life experience. As he mentioned he has experience of renting and education so that is where he will focus. Does he have intelligence and empathy and a desire to listen and learn such that he can understand other people's concerns and issues? No idea, but that is far more important than whether he himself has experienced the issue.

Talent, ideas and a proper work ethic are surely more important than simply how many years old you are.

What life experience did JRM or Johnson have?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

without getting into circular "i demand proof" odds are he doesnt unless he has some wild back story which I doubt he has

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

All weekend the media have been reminding the SNP that they lost the election so they should drop their independence policy.

They haven't been reminding the Tories that they lost the election so they should drop their conservative policies.

Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

What's interesting is that Labour got a whopping majority on 34% of the national vote and the SNP got obliterated on 30% of the Scottish vote. I know it keeps coming up but FPTP is completely and utterly broken and undemocratic.

Turnout isn't some act of god decreed from upon high that the parties have to work within. It's something the parties earn. It's a common saying in the US presidential elections - the winner often isn't who convinced the most undecideds, but who inspires the largest turnout among people who would be inclined to vote for them.

Three million people who voted Labour in 2019 chose not to in 2024. That's one third of the total number of people who voted for them. It is an enormous number of potential voters who have been disillusioned.

It's easy to say "well they didn't vote so they don't matter", and while I absolutely believe people should always vote and I would never forego voting myself, these people do matter and it is worth thinking about why they decided the Labour party wasn't worth voting for this time. Who knows, they could have had 500 seats if these people had turned out.

What we saw was fewer people voting for Labour than before, but a victory by default as even fewer voted Tory. People were rightfully sick of the Tory party, not many were enthused by Labour, leading to many either going to reform or just not turning up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He has the experience of what its like to be a 22 year old right now, the vast majority of MPs dont have that. One of the reasons young people of his age don't bother voting is they don't view older politicians as representing them or knowing anything about them.

Also lets be honest if it was a tory 22 year old who just got elected you would be singing their praises.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Personally, I think people should only vote when they know what it is they are voting for.

Otherwise they should stay the hell out of a polling booth.

I was mistaken, it's a 1 million drop from 2019 and 3 million from 2017. I had googled the numbers and the first link (Telegraph) said they had dropped 3 million votes.

This is nonsense. People are responsible for the governments they get. If they just stay at home, their complaints about things like tuition fees or whatever ring completely hollow.

If you don't vote, you don't matter. It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The system means that 2,000 votes in a marginal constituency are more valuable than 10,000 votes in Peckham, Wirral or Gallowgate. Corbyn was remarkably good at getting the vote out in these latter areas. But it doesn't help you get elected. Starmer's Labour appears to have put all their limited resources into where the votes mattered, and accepted reduced majorities in their core seats. So it doesn't necessarily signal disillusionment - just that there were no grass-roots campaigns to target these voters or push these voters to the polls.

It's a strategy to win seats, not overall quantity of votes.

And who judges that? Is there a pre-voting test?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ultimately it's the voter who should be the judge of what it is they know they are voting for (or against). And if they don't know or are unsure, the better option is to not vote at all.

Voting with ignorance is how you end up with stupid shit like Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. Both parties and voters respond to the incentives created by the electoral system. The UK system doesn't accord equal weight to all votes, and this affects both which votes parties targe and which voters bother to vote (and who they vote for - in the right circumstances a Labour supporter will vote Lib Dem or vice versa so as to make their vote "count"). Hence simply adding up the votes cast for each party and using that to judge the level of support for the party and its policies is not a sound process.

he is a posh kid though right? exactly the "80's Tory boy" that would have been made fun of at the time. Its not an important story its just comical, maybe the bigBrain will leave an impression in the next 10 years or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Randycove

he went from a private school to Cambridge.

I wonder if his parents had to give up sky tv to pay his fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Quite right. If it had been a 20-something Tory this lot would have no complaints.
    Like for example when this particular 25 Year old became an MP in 1900:

Yes…Churchill became an MP at just 25.

A different time for sure, and this was after he came back from the Boar Wars, but this should make you wonder; is it fair to judge someone on only their age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

No, people who don't vote are citizens. They may not count in terms of parliamentary seats but their support - or lack of support in this case - is still noted in parties' headquarters.

Also I used the term "electorate" advisably - as there is another demographic here that is not taken into consideration either - the millions of immigrants with no right to vote. Cheapo workers from abroad, our modern-day helots.

Advertisement