Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make up short ECT credits for post primary masters in education

Options
  • 22-05-2024 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I have recently completed a level 8 BSc honors degree equivalent to 180 ECTs and was hoping to apply for a masters in post primary education. However upon application, I’ve been told I am short the 60 ECT credits in a specific subject so can’t apply. I thought I only had to have the undergraduate degree which totalled 180 ECts. So now I’m trying to figure out how I might go about doing specific modules or a short course which could match to any subject, such as biology or PE so I can get the extra credit. I don’t want to have to go back and do another level 8 degree for a couple of years.

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated !

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

What subjects did you do your degree in and what subject do you want to teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shanh23

Hi, I’m in a similar situation. I have a degree in science and by my calculations I have 60 credits for Biology but they said I’m unlikely to have sufficient credits to any subjects they offer but they can’t advise me on how many credits they see me as having or how many I am short. So now I don’t know how many additional modules I have to study to degree level in order to apply, I’m open to taking on modules if I need to but I don’t want to unless they are necessary. Did they tell you you were short the whole 60 credits? :)

On top of your 180 credit degree you need to have your 60 credits in the right modules for at least one subject. If you have 60 credits in biology is it that you don't have the required modules? The way it works is that the teaching council will provide you with absolutely no help whatsoever to determine if you have what you need. You apply for the PME, completing a form listing your credits and modules and declaring that as far as you are concerned, you meet the criteria for at least one subject. Then when you get your place and start your course the college will pass those details to the teaching council who will then see if they agree. If they don't they will let you know what you're missing and you can try and complete the modules, while you're doing your masters and probably working too. I don't actually know if the college would boot you out in that case, hopefully not, but until you meet the criteria you won't be able to register for that subject. So it could be that you'd have a teaching qualification but not for any subjects (as I said I don't know what happens if tehy determine you don't have enough at that point??). Stupid system! I asked the teaching council if my 20 credits in Software Engineering on my transcripts would be ok, even though I didn't have a module code to put in the 'module code' box, cos it was from 1997. They wouldn't answer. Just kept saying, get your place and we'll let you know. I wanted to know in advance so I could do the module before I started the masters but they refused to answer that ridiculously easy question, wasn't even specific to me, they didn't need to see any of my docs, just a simple, 'would the absence of a module code be a problem if the subject name is provided?'. I had heard how utterly impossible they are to deal with so I did the module anyway, just in case.

I have a degree in Computer Science but from 1997 which was pre ECTS, so no credits or modules. I got my credits retrospectively but although I have 70 credits I have no proof of the individual subjects, just says computer science. To avoid any issues I did a Higher Diploma in Computer Science for Educators. It's a course for teachers who want to add Comp Sci to their registration - 60 credits in the required modules, almost entirely online, just one day onsite. And as I have the background it was easy enough, although all the lesson plan assignments were a bit challenging. So now I have 130 credits, but qualify for subject. I also want to do maths and have 50 credits, but again, no breakdown. So I'll have to see what the TC come back to me with about that. I'll happily do another 10 credits but I'm not doing 60 again.

Starting the PME in a few weeks for Comp Sci and Maths and will see what happens with the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shanh23

Hiya! Thanks for your info! I get what your saying, you need to have modules that map to the subject declaration form in addition to your Level 8 degree weighting 180 ECTS credits. I completed the form for Biology for the PME and I had modules in 4 of 8 essential areas of study (which is the minimum requirement as per the form) in which my modules equated to 60 ECTS. I hadn’t even completed my application online when I got an email stating based on the degree I cited I’m unlikely to map sufficient credits to biology and therefore they were closing my application for autumn 2024 but no mention of my SDF/transcripts I forwarded on? I emailed back just asking on what basis was it closed as I believed I had 60 credits across 4 essential areas, no reply. Phoned them and they said they can’t advise or tell me what I have. Perhaps I should should have completed my application at the time prior to the email and maybe I would have got more information then. Does additional study taken need to be at level 8/degree level to count towards credits? That’s what they told me. Currently looking at doing modules with open university but it’s a struggle with the scarcity of information I have.

Yeah, level 8 as far as I know. Who emailed you, which college are you applying to? I'm doing mine in DCU and submitted my self declaration form and transcripts, etc all at the same time.

The criteria are quite straightforward, have your 180 credit level 8, biology up to and including third year at least, min pass in all biology exams, 60 credits in biology. Then at least 4 of the 8 listed areas of study plus lab work.

If you have all of that there is no reason to deny your application. If you did a general science degree then until you fill out the details they wouldn't know what you studied. Strange alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement