Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs barking is driving me (and probably them) mad

Options
  • 22-05-2024 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I hope someone can give some advice to help stop my poor little dog barking at a bird scarer my neighbours have put into their back garden close to our boundary.

It’s a telescopic hawk thingy and it appeared a few days ago. I’m not sure if it also emits ultrasonic sounds too but our smallest dog is traumatised by it. She’s barking at it when out the back and has even started barking in the house when she sees or hears it flapping, she’s hyper alert even when the blinds are drawn and it’s nighttime - they tie it down once it’s dark. It’s heartbreaking to see her so jittery so hoping someone can help.

We live in a housing estate and I really don’t want the other neighbours getting annoyed or being inconvenienced by the barking. Our other dog isn’t as bothered by it, only barks at it when it’s flapping like mad. Maybe the wind will solve the problem for me!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

The neighbours are entitled to put in this measuer as its their own back garden and it isnt causing noise distress to others.By the sounds of it your dog is constantly barking when out and most likely really annoying and stressing the neighbours out.

Neighbours shouldnt have to live with constant barking so its on you to sort the dog out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The neighbours may be using the bird scarer for a limited time, e.g. a new lawn seeded, and the problem will pass. Can you approach them with apologies for the barking and explain how your dog is reacting? Go looking for a solution rather than a complaint.

Otherwise, I guess you will have to try to get the dog used to the movement and noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

And the award for this years most unhelpful comment goes to..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JustAsking2022

Can you go out the back with her near the bird scarer and offer some treats to her. Might make it less of a daunting process for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Not sure if this might work. What about dressin up as a bird scarer yoursrlf .. hawk top .. the whole 9 yards .. and just go mad around the house .. flappin n squawkin like crazy .. chasin the dog .. play the tin whistle at it as well ..

Plant hawk pics around the house also ...

It'll be glad of the peace and quiet in the garden after that ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement