Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can restaurants refuse to cut food into smaller portions?

Options
124»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Really digging down on the strawmanning here - no photos, no go pro footage here.

Perhaps it's your good self doing the whinging on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is incorrect. I have seen bars/restaurants refuse to heat baby bottles, presumably for fear the child would get burned if it’s too hot. They will provide a high chair, but if they are all in use and a family haven’t requested one in advance, then that can hardly be discrimination based on age or the child’s ability to sit in a chair.

Refusing to serve food to a customer because of a disability would undoubtedly be discrimination, but refusing to cut it into smaller portions? You are just looking to be outraged.

I didn't say 'every restaurant' will heat baby bottles, so it's absolutely NOT incorrect. Many restaurants will do it, and we certainly were never refused in our day.

No one is looking to be outraged. The OP is looking to enjoy a bit of a snack when out with a friend, while temporarily disabled. The outrage seems to be from those outraged at a restaurant being asked to cut up some food.

The law isn't specific about what constitutes 'reasonable accomodation' and could never cover every possible scenario. It does say that reasonable accommodations are those of 'nominal cost'.

Personally, I'd have thought that feeding steps over the line from reasonable accommodation to personal care service, and steps over the line of nominal cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

For everyone against the OP, is it because they are only temporarily affected by this disability, and therefore just being a pain?

As I said before, I would not take things much further anyway with this place, but instead vote with my feet (if they're not in a cast that is).....and not return.

But,

Seriously, they were preparing the food anyway, and were asked 1 small additional requests while doing this, it's equivalent to asking for extra cheese on your salad or burger, and takes what, 30 seconds?

If a wheelchair user came in, would you expect the staff help clear chairs from table, make extra space if needed?

And if they had any mobility issues, and they asked the for the same request as the OP, to cut food, do you think it would be acceptable to refuse then?

No one asked for any staff to sit with any customer and feed they their lunch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Sorry, mixed up the thread I was on. It's the other thread your posting on that has the pictures and gopro pics on. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭Homer

that’s ironic coming from the serial poster who spends his day ruining threads across the platform. I’ve now put you on ignore and advise the rest of the people on this thread to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

this is unreal stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Xr

Surprised this got so heated. 😂

Anyway, just a quick update, had to go back in for surgery today in Vincent's U, got a new cast and a titanium plate in my arm. With the sedative and nerve blocker I'm even weaker than before, my fingers still work at least. xD

And yes, just to put it out there, the porter did butter my toast for me, jam and all. :P

I'm not not at all a confrontational person, I work in catering myself, I know people have off days, or have policies and such they are required to follow whether they agree with them or not. The incident in the OP just surprised I took it for granted that was something that a cafe or restaurant would/coud help with if a customer needed it, but I get that's not universal, or that there may be a valid reason why they can't do certain things.

One thing I would like to say though is to the people saying they could have managed with just one hand, look, everyone is different, not everyone is affected by injury the same way, or from medications etc. As it is, even though nothing was broken in my left side I was and am experiencing weakness in that hand, esp. when trying to grip things and apply force. Believe me, you take for granted how difficult it is to do things like getting dressed, opening doors, eating etc. with only one hand, and a dodgy one at that, maybe I should have clarified that at the start, but all the same don't assume someone is capable even after they've said they aren't.

Anyway, no hard feelings, hope you all stay safe this summer and keep an eye out for the vulnerable people in your life and that you meet in the world. ♥️

Yah, terrible all that 'ruining of threads' by having different opinions on stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭StormForce13

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Done

Prepare to get a warning. Apparently telling someone that your going to hit the ignore button is uncivil. Even when they are serial sh1te posters

I fully expect to get a warning for this too.

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i suggest ordering the porridge next tine. only need a spoon.

seriously get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sounds like you think disabled people are just babies who can't do anything for themselves.

Very demeaning and patronising from you, as per usual.

Somebody with one arm is likely to be very offended that you deem them unable to cut a simple pancake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It took you that long to come up with that

To weak to eat a pancake

Are you narrating this to someone ,🤣

Could your friend not have fed you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

You do realise we are talking about a situation where a person actually asks for assistance…Or maybe you are just looking for controversy?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭amovingstatue

\

So thats all settled then.

Or OP, get your chosen public representative to do it for you like this guy….

clear as an unmuddied lake

Did you think of reading the OP at all before posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It only got heated because of one poster tying himself in knots trying to throw book of law at everyone. Seriously, people like him who go to such great lengts pointing how and why to sue everybody for everything tend to bring out the worst in people. Get well soon.

• Advertisement

The "great lengths" only came about in response to those who were making misinformed claims about the legal position.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Lots of people getting cut up over this 😅

The OP has clarified that he had/has a long term disability in his other hand. He didn’t clarify to us and probably didn’t with the server so he didn’t get support here or at the time in the restaurant.

Best of luck in your recovery OP, seems like a nasty break.

I read your post, where you put your disdain for disabled people on full display.

The context of my post is in a thread where a person with a disability has made a request to have their food cut up. Are you saying that I'm showing disdain by suggesting that a person who has made a request to have their food cut up should have their food cut up?

No, as always you are right. Everyone else is wrong. All hail Andrew!!

All hail the Equal Status Acts would be more accurate.

except. It’s not. It’s all let’s be worn down by angry Andrew

It’s on every thread on this site. Be it cyclists, parking, tax, pensions, crepe cutting seems to be the latest hot topic. Last week it was hi vis vests on bridges . Today it’s crepes, tomorrow it’s probably pizza delivery people getting tax free cash via revolut.

So many people have you on ignore…..but go you angry Andrew. All hail Angry Andy

I humbly apologise for bringing facts to the table.

Surprise surprise, guess who has found a reason to be offended. Thats just par for the course, the problem is that this time to achieve your outrage you have had to infantilise the disabled. You had to make them a prop for your outrage.

Disabled people aren't children, stop patronising and diminishing them.

• Advertisement

There's no question of my being offended. You obviously posted without reading the OP, where the person with a disability explicitly asked for someone to cut up their food, because of the reduced function due to their disability. It wasn't my idea.

Youre now doubling down, based on an entirely false premise, because you just can't bear the idea of saying that you made a mistake.

I didn't infantalise anyone. Are you suggesting that the OP was infantalising themself?

Advertisement