Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F - Netflix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

"Y'all are the Lego Cops".

I LOL'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Have to admit, I enjoyed that trailer a lot more than I expected to 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Trailer looks ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blimey, I'd have just presumed the actor who played Taggart was long dead, already looking pretty old from the first two films - nope. And he's "only" 76 too. Man people looked so much older back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

By virtue of looking old for his whole life, John Ashton as Taggart is a bit less jarring, than seeing old Judge Reinhold in the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I guess it's time to give this a go…

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

I wouldn’t bother,got halfway thru and gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭gossamerfabric

quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Ah, not too bad.

It's pure entertainment. Aimed at us old enough to remember the original.

If looking for something unique and brilliant - forget it. But something light and enjoyable, and you are over 50, and have a bottle of wine in front of you, you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I just put on the first 10 minutes of it there before going to bed… I love the nods to the original, “The Heat is on”, etc. it seems kinda promising and I’ll watch it in full tomorrow night. I know it won’t match the original’s charm. How could it.
    Eddie himself looks remarkably good for his years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Disappointed that there was no banana in the exhaust pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Oh great stuff. That's my Friday night entertainment sorted. Few cans tomorrow night, and a bit of Axel Foley.

Looking forward to it.

I saw an interview with the cast and that question was asked. Eddie said something like, that while they want to pay homage to the original film, they didn't want to carbon copy all the old jokes… plus most people in Beverly Hills drive EV's these days and they've no exhaust pipe!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I watched it last night. Thought it was OK and got a few laughs. Worth a watch but not something I'd rewatch again anytime soon.

I remember as child John Ashton looking really old in the first movie. He looks looks his age now in it.

It's mad, he was only 36 in the first movie! He looked 50+ and his character was definitely intended to be in that age bracket at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Watching this last night and something struck me which was the "Look" of the film. What I mean is that even though I know it had a big budget, for some reason it just doesnt look like it. Out of curiosity I then watched the opening scene(the truck chase)from the original and it looks amazing, even though it was made 40 years ago. I cant figure out how a film made that long ago beats the look of a film made this year??? I dunno, maybe someone who knows something about cinematography can explain that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭RINO87

I get this….and its honestly what puts me off 90% of the muck that Netflix churn out. Unnecessary crappy CGI because its cheaper than actually filming on a street or whatever. Ruins films for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I would normally agree but I think it actually looks better than most Netflix trash. The budget was $150m too, apparently.

That being said, rewatch Cop 2. Tony Scott's first movie after Top Gun. It is one of the most perfect examples of 1980s sleekness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was a massive fan of the original films... I don't think I can bring myself to watch this. I'll just stay in denial that it doesn't exist. A bit like the fourth and fifth Indiana Jones films and the Lethal Weapon TV series reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Found the first half hour of it very poor, basically heavily running off jokes from the first 2 films. I'd say it's better than the 3rd but isn't a patch on the first 2 films.

It's a pity with the Rosewood character they didn't have him as some off the wall arms dealer in his retirement rather than a private detective, could have had all sorts of fun with over the top weapons and vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

It looks like a cheap 90s straight to video tv movie. It's also terrible in many other ways. A load of shite, unfortunately. I was looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont see how it would work, the original played off the concept that a Detroit cop was a fish out of water in another world, that makes no sense today

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

OK, I watched it in full lastnight. I wasn't expecting anything great so therefore I wasn't "disappointed".

I agree with the poster above, something didn't look right in terms of the cinematography. A lot of scenes seemed overly dark or washed out, or grainy. Hard to describe. I bet the original movie when viewed in 4K / HD would look a hell of a lot better.

The plot was nonsensical and the pacing was all over the place. It just felt like they stuck a whole load of random sequences together to fit in as many nods to the original movies as possible. I lost interest in who were the good guys or bad guys early on, it was all over the place and there was no "charismatic" bad guy… compare this to the original movie, it had a simple plot and I even remember the bad guy's name - Victor Maitland! I think this is something that modern movies really lack, a charismatic and memorable bad guy, when's the last time we saw a "Hans Gruber" in any movie…

Judge Reinhold's character disappeared for most of the middle section of the movie. And Taggart well… he definitely looked too old for this **** this time.

It made me feel a bit sad tbh, even the sight of Eddie Murphy, as relatively fresh as he looks for his age, he looked a bit ridiculous lumbering around in the ill fitting jeans and the "Detroit Lions" jacket.

On the plus side, the soundtrack was pretty good, the iconic "Axel F" theme wasn't messed with too much and we got "The Heat is On" and "Shakedown".

I do see what they were trying to do and I applaud Murphy for trying to be as faithful as possible to the original movies, he clearly has a lot of love for the Axel Foley character. But I think it was of its time and it's very very difficult to recapture that "fish out of water" magic and freshness in a new movie 40 years on with the same (elderly) cast. It was funny when a 24 year old Axel Foley was wisecracking his way through Beverly Hills, its a bit tragic when its a 60+ year old Foley trying to recapture the same thing.

I think I'll just go back and watch the original!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On the "look", I'd speculate this is down to how there's a clear and pretty demonstrable difference between a movie shot on (35mm?) film stock, and this Netflix movie shot on digital cameras; and within that older methodology you had someone like Tony Scott with his talent in making everything look very sensual and like a music video. It's why 80s, 90s films and older just feel different, there's literally a texture to the image that doesn't exist anymore.

Now, it's not like digital photography can't look gorgeous or lush, it's just that you're starting off with a cleaner, less impactful image and if you don't do something with it, can look very clean and unattractive. Look at David Fincher for instance, a director who really knows how to take digital imagery and make it expressive; and you can be damn sure Netflix aren't bothered about whether it all looks like a movie or not - in their mind it's all just "content" to ingest before watching something else. And with the best will in the world I'd reserve judgement Mark Molloy is even trying for a visual style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Wasnt terrible but not brilliant either.

Nice nod to the early movies and inspector T photo on the wall.

Reinhold looks terrible post plastic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

The fact that 99% of Netflix own made productions are totally unwatchable due to the extremely sharp over digitization of their film prints is the main reason I haven't bothered to watch this thing. It's a major problem with Netflix productions, only "The Irishman" as far as I've seen didn't allow the over digitization cinemaphotography.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Below average flick. Zero laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Sunjava

Its poor, doesn't have any of character/ feel of the original. They need to dig out the old cameras at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rodders999

Was Eddie Murphy that hard up for cash to happily sh1t all over the legacy of Axel Foley in this tripe?

Pure unadulterated scutter. As someone said above, just best to pretend this doesn’t even exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

We got to the hour mark and couldn't go on. Very poor, not remotely funny. Eddie Murphy hasn't aged a day and that's about the only good fact about this movie.

Advertisement