Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2024

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zverev playing well, but Alacaraz not happy. Mishitting a lot now and complaining that there is a lack of clay on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dear god no, Zverev to actually win a slam here 😞

Thank fúck for that.

That was poor quality stuff though. We've been spoiled over the past 20 years, Nadal vs Djokovic that was not. He may have won but talk of Alcaraz winning every slam unopposed for the next 15 years was fairly premature, he looks far from invincible. I reckon a 37 year old Djokovic would have wiped the floor with either of those guys today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Are you sure you weren't watching a different match? Considering the conditions on court today, I thought they both played fantastic tennis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, the relief of checking the score and seeing Carlos got over the line!

Nice one Alcaraz. May Zverev stay slamless forever 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭whitelaurel

could potentially win a career grand slam at 21, fairly unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Really enjoyable match that unfortunately I didn't get to see all of because there was a gap in the recording on the sky plus box despite me recording 3 hours of programmes after the scheduled program.Why the hell can;t this technology not just record everything without any gaps at all.

Didn't see anything after 3-1 in the 5th but looks like Alcaraz pulled away quite easily so I didn't miss much I guess.

It has to be said that wa a massive collapse by Zverev puts himself 2 sets to 1 up and with Alcaraz partly injured and yet only wins 3 games from that point on , he started the 4th set atrociously when he should have had all the momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought it was just me who missed the end of the match, despite thinking I'd set everything to record practically until the 9 o'clock news! Eurosport's broadcast set-up is a complete pain for matches that drag on - I seem to remember the BBC just extending Wimbledon programmes way beyond the listed time if the matches were long ones, so the recording was just one that continued.

Delighted to see Alcaraz win, I just love watching him play, although he didn't seem to enjoy this match as much as others (probably not surprisingly!)

I thought the contrast between his support box and Zverev's was marked - there was constant interaction and what looked like reassurance from Ferrero, all very positive looking - but when Zverev looked to his team, yer man just sat there looking grumpy!

I don't particularly like the way that players look to their box after every single point these days - I much preferred when they just went out and played their game and had to do it by themselves - but given that that's the way it's gone, I think Alcaraz's set-up is the best I've seen .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The constant looking up to the box really pisses me off.

Andy Murray constantly used to be berating them for not showing enough support as if it makes a blind bit of difference, just strikes me as being somewhat mentally weak to be constantly looking up to them.

The absolute worst for that kind of carry on was Kyrgios, absolutely screaming at his box for not showing him enough fist pumps or some nonsense. He seems so normal as a commentator too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Odd dynamic between Zverev and his auld fella alright. After the match when Zverev was giving his speech, the whole stadium was standing out of respect, except his dad who sat slouched in his seat. He did manage to summon the energy to stand for Alcaraz though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

While it would be a great achievement, it's also a reflection of the drop in standard at the elite level, outside of Sinner and an obviously declining Djokovic, there really isn't huge opposition there, mainly guys like Zverev, Tsitsipas and Medvedev who have proven themselves to not really be elite level players, when compared to previous generations.

Possibly in mentality standards, but players now are fitter, faster and hit the ball harder.

That really does tell the whole story, while it may mean that players ranked lower (around 100) are better than previous generations, ie better prepared, it doesn't follow that at the ellite level ( top 10) players are better. u can't really fairly compare a top player's fitness or how hard they hit the ball from the 80's , 90s or 00's with a player from today as fitness standards and equipment have moved on across all sports, that doesn't necessarily mean the standard of tennis has improved.

For example the standard of tennis from around 2007 to 2016 was exceptionally high, probably the highest ever, the standard in the last few years has definitely dropped. Are the players faster, fitter and hitting the ball harder now than 10-15 years ago, probably, but, that's more a consequence of fitness standards and equipment across sports in general improving in that time. It's the same in most sports, fitness standards rising doesn't necessarily mean the standard of a particular sport actually rises, The mental side is as important as the physical side at elite level.

I agree with some of this. But I think Alcaraz at 21 is quite clearly playing a higher level than any of the big 3 at that age.

You have to remember that he is playing lower level opposition, Ferderer was slow to win his first slam, but, once he did he was near unbeatable for a few years outside of the FO in the other slams, that meant it was difficult for both Nadal (outside of the FO) and Djokovic to win slams in their early years, despite laying at a high level. Nadal still managed to win 3 slams (all FO) at a younger age than Alcaraz despite having to contend with Federer. Alcaraz is playing at a high level, but, he has the benefit of facing a weaker field, he's not facing a prime Federer like Nadal and Djokovic had to contend with at his age.

yeah I agree , but I still think 3 difference surfaces is more impressive than nadals start tbh

Advertisement