Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic rules on the road

Options
  • 23-05-2024 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

This has been bothering me for a while and I'm not sure what's the right way to deal with it. You know the horizontal road markings, I think they're called hatch markings which your not supposed to enter.

What happens if you want to go ahead and all the spaces are taken by cars waiting for the traffic signal and your only option is to go on to the hatch markings or stay in the left lane. If you do this you'll probably be blocking traffic going straight to the traffic signal to turn left and their signal is shown., so what's the right thing to do? Should I wait like the blue car shown till I get a space after hatch marks.Please do see the images in reference with the situation I am trying to explain. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

You should wait as a patient and a civilised driver would.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stephenjohny92

I should wait like the blue car.Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭tphase

…but why is the blue car waiting? if it intends to go straight ahead , it should move forward. if it intends to turn right, it's in the wrong lane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Allinall

Blue car is in the wrong lane.

You should wait in the right hand lane at the back of the yellow box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Perhaps if we had the full location we'd see why…oh wait…

(I'd post this as link but boards…grrr)

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.656344,-7.2556941,3a,75y,88.68h,67.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKtYb5JVh8NWLxAOH4q8obg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I know that location well.

If your the blue car, you're in traffic and you need to wait in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GFunk Step2 This

Blue car is in the correct lane. From Google maps the right lane is a right hand turning only (before yellow box). What I don't understand is why isn't the yellow box in the left lane. So technically can the blue car move forward 10m?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The right lane at that point is for turning right at the yellow box more than likely, the right turning lane for the next junction starts after the yellow box, see the arrows and hatched markings on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭tphase

So the blue car could move forward as far as the arrows on the road, assuming it will be turning right at the next junction

• Advertisement

No because it would then block cars coming onto the road (in front of the blue car) from the road to the right, who wish to turn left at the next junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

I believe the white arrows on the road are wrong to be there.
    Left lane should have arrow to turn left or go straight and left lane should also have arrow directing traffic to move into right lane if turning right.

The left lane only goes left, it doesn't go straight through. You need to merge to the right in order to go straight through.

The right lane (after the yellow box) does not turn right, it only goes straight.

There are arrows in the right lane directing traffic to turn right BEFORE the yellow box

So could you please recommend/ advice me the right procedure if the middle lane is full like that in the image(Google map). It will be very helpful for me.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

regarding the arrows in the right lane before it reaches the yellow box; is this a 'straight on' arrow at bottom left? which would be odd as it would be directing you to cross the hatched area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

View from the other direction:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha, that makes sense now.

Thanks to all..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 c2r

I think that what the blue car is doing is correct in terms of making the junction work efficiently - however, if the intention was that the blue car should wait there, then the yellow box should be extended across the left hand lane also.

The white hatching implies that the split for the left turn lane occurs after the yellow box, and therefore the blue car could pull forward and block the left lane. Interestingly, if the blue car was turning right at the yellow box, they'd still be able to enter it and wait. So there isn't a lot of point in it being across the right turn lane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement