Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadcasting Act Section 103

Options
  • 23-05-2024 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭

I always felt that this station prevents massive changes to the set of broadcast services provided by RTÉ and TG4.

For example RTÉ's original proposal for RTÉ 1+1, RTÉ NEWS and RTÉjr and TG4 proposal for Cula4 and TG4+1.

It seem also to be a requirement that RTÉ would have to make such a proposal to the Minister in relation to a major change in schedule. RTÉ did propose that they move the RTÉjr strand from RTÉ2, this proposal was eventually withdrawn by RTÉ.

So could RTÉ unilaterally change the direction of any of their broadcast services? I don't think they could.

Radio 1 couldn't drop all music programming in favour of Talk

2FM couldn't just become RTÉ GOLD

RnaG couldn't have its schedule replace by Sport

Lyric FM couldn't become a pop music station

RTÉ2 couldn't become RTÉ NEWS AND SPORT

RTÉ ONE couldn't drop its major news and currrent affairs programming schedule.

However on reading the section I am not sure I am right (There could be another section that I am missing from this)

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/18/section/103/enacted/en/html

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Shan Doras

What I didn't get was the way an exact simulcast of RTE Junior on RTE TWO between the hours of 9am to 2pm continued for a long time after ASO, meaning the saorview service didn't offer viewers as much choice as it could. Not that it really matters now, the exact simulcast of Junior on 2 ended long ago and Juniors hours on RTE 2 were cut to about 3 hours a day a few years ago with Tween RTE now running from 12Noon till 4 when they are still in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Tween RTÉ such a horrible name, what ever about RTÉ KIDS.

Yeah I don't really understand how they got away with the reduction in hours. I think the initial plan was for it just to be a simucast and then later on it because less of that, but RTÉ2 now only starts at 8am with Euronews simucast continuing until then.

______

Yesterday

Long gone are the days of socky's big little morning show starting @6:45

But anything to replace it? Long gone are the days of EuroNews simulcasts across both channels.

______

Yesterday

Do you remember RTE's pre ASO proposal for daytime RTE two which TV3 lobbied against and RTE withdrew ? Basically it proposed a 4 hour block of the sort of programs that are currently on daytime RTE One but at that time RTE one was still showing Murder she wrote and Colombo, so I guess it would have been an alternative for the time

• Advertisement

I think they were looking to move the soaps over the RTÉ2, and have a daytime version of Two Tube. Potential morning time comedy with TRTÉ on during the rest of the day. They also wanted to make RTE 1 +1 a mixed channel RTÉ Plus/RTÉ3, and allow RTÉ NEWS carry ads in the future.

Minister gave the permission for phase 1 but no more, and I had to tell the department to carry out the 4 year review that was stipulated in that permission.

TV3 under McRedmond large tried to stop everything, he insisted that the minister had to give UTV Ireland Public Service status, VMTV and the Civil Service and CnaM seemed then to forget this on the arrival of Challenge and Sky News to Soarview since then.

ASO/DSO was an utter mess.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement