Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food Take away prices - why don't we grow potatoes suitable for chippers in Ireland ?

• 24-05-2024 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

Was just reading this article on Take away prices. I understand certain potatoes are favoured for their crispiness but why don't we grow them in Ireland versus importing them?

Also the "takeaway" from the article is phone your take away as the Aps are creaming off approx 30% on the businesses. Couldn't help myself but pun there.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0524/1450903-takeaway-chipper-prices/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Takeaways are generally rip-offs these days; so why should we order with them directly to be fleeced? At least with the Just-Eat type sites you can often get vouchers/money off

Different if a place offers 10% off for ordering directly with them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Lofidelity

It rains too much in summer now so it's hard to grow potatoes, or anything else. England is dryer so they import them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wrong climate, by and large.

Some are grown in Wexford and North Dublin but would not vaguely cover the demand for chippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I don't use any apps for takeaways, the markup is just too much. I far prefer to order over the phone and get it delivered. Even with tip, it's cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

My friend who owned a chipper swore by maris pipers from the netherlands. I think they are a waxy variety that frys well.

they were not cheap, but were quality. Its not about guarenteed irish vs imports, its more the suitability of the product for the purpose of frying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Gave up takeaways in Jan. The price of the fish and chips or even just a bag of chips was just out of control. Now each a lot of kg lighter (9kg myself) between us (after doing nothing but giving up takeaway because of the price) and about €200 better off per month I think it was the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭worded

Well done you particularly on the weight front but you are saving a packet as well.

I rarely do takeaways but imagine that it's becoming a treat now for a lot of people it's getting so expensive. Danger of food poverty for some who are on the bread line ....

My teen kid loves going to Macaris for a treat, but has an excellent diet usually otherwise

I saw a documentary about a c.hipper ran by fisher men in Scotland for 20+ years went bang during to costs (mainly elec) They are under massive pressure in the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Banzai600

couldnt find a more suitable thread…?

I went to the local chipper on sunday , the bag of chips has hit 4e.

That for me was the last price hike i was willing to take. So told them nicely i wont be back unless the prices come down. They are long established, the two bags werent even as normal a portion as we used to get. The place is usually crazy on a sunday evening, not so…. im aware as is everyone else re running costs / overheads etc.

what are other ppl paying locally in their chippers for chips etc ?

are you ordering less from takeways ?

And the apache LARGE pizza deal used to be 11.99, went to 12.99 , now 13.99. Again, wont be ordering from them anymore.

we wouldnt eat takeaway too often, 2/3 times a month at most.

will miss the chipper chips and apache pizza, but as a collective stepping away from pricey purchases around takeaways.

anyone else feel the same way?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shocking news yesterday with Lennox's closing in Cork after 73 years.

• Advertisement

Its happening all over the UK as well. They have a raw material advantage over us, as that's where we import most of our potatoes from. Yet they are still struggling ....

Saw a documentary about a Scottish chipper years in business being supplied by its own fishing boat (cost price fish) and it still had to close as it wasnt viable

The only businesses left will be franchises

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jul/20/a-funeral-for-fish-and-chips-east-neuk-fife-anstruther-scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭ARX

I started making my own pizzas and I'd never go back to the expensive takeway muck with the scabby toppings.

Buy the pizza base, Mutti pizza sauce (Tesco), grated mozzarella (Lidl or Tesco) and then whatever toppings - ham, olives, capers, spinach, onions, tuna, whatever. Takes no time to make and you can lash on tons of toppings. I ordered a takeaway pizza last week - 15 (inc delivery) for a miserable little pizza with a teaspoonful of each topping. I can make something far better for a fraction of the price.

Re ARX post

Pizzas - Off topic ! This is a potato and chipper thread ...

Thinly veiled - I'm a great pizza chef :-)

Agreed - pizzas home made are way better and a lot of take aways are very bad quality and value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

IVe noticed my local chipper has started charging 80c more for a can of soft drinks as part of a meal deal - it's not even related to the refund scheme as the drinks are imported from Poland.

Another local place started charging 22c for a bag....that's just greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Have you ever eaten there? I assume you have. Curious to know what they were like compared to “any other” “Italian” takeaway.

It seems that it’s not due to falling demand that they’re closing - from reading a newspaper article this week, it’s more the increasing paper work long hours not being able to get the right staff etc are some of the main issues?

If it’s “damn good” then they’d be better off getting someone to run it and taking profit without having to run it themselves ?
    Bad news when a “good” place closes .

But I have to say- rarely do I find good fish in those Italian origin fish and chip shops - just not mad on the batter - much prefer places like Saltees in Kilmore Quay - that type of fish and chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

jackie lennox was/is not an italian-style takeaway

either way, i personally thought the quality went fairly downhill in the last 10 years or so. they used to be top of the pile in cork but over the last number of years the food just wasnt as good imo. barties would be above them for me and they arent a million miles away in terms of location, murphys on the north side were fairly decent they time i tried them too. kcs are always pretty good but theyre their own style anyway and cant really be compared with a traditional 'chipper'

If they're importing they still need to be registered for deposit, or they're breaking the law

22c on plastic bags is also the law, the exceptions don't cover giving you another bag to put food bags in. Not very enforced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

The 2 issues I have are 1) return machines won't accept the cans and 2) they are charging for plastic bags but giving paper bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

One sharp practice at my local takeaway is to charge 22c for a bag when ordering on their app, but giving a paper bag only when collecting the food. I stopped using their app for this reason (and the 70c service charge!)

Not a traditional chipper, but my go-to burger n chips place charges 4.50 for a portion of chips. Went up by 50c in the past couple of weeks.

So they're breaking the law on the cans one. Re-turn will likely get heavy on them if you report them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭csirl

I think some of them are in a spiral of increase price = less customers = less money to cover overheads = increase price again.

Might be better to reduce prices to get the volume up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Takeaway pizza is EUR 36 now.

Not even fresh.. they are cooked in batches early each day.

A large pizza from Dollard pizza, D2.

I over heard someone saying "cheap as chips" earlier. No longer the case

Advertisement