Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prophet Song

Options
  • 24-05-2024 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

I am reading Prophet Song at the moment and find it fascinating and very apt for today's world …. it reminds me of an Irish version of The Handmaid's Tale especially the early rise of Gilead part of that book …. Eilish Stack is the equivalent of Offred or June Osborne as she is called in the Handmaid's Tale series …

The book seems to be inspired by the Covid 19-era emergency in Ireland that brought about severe restrictions …. albeit for the greater good ….. and done more out of kneejerk panic reaction than some power play …. in Prophet Song it is CLEAR the draconian laws are created to give power to the party officials and their allies …..

It is clear the govt, Gardai and courts system are all purged of anyone not affiliated with the state …. the GNSB are very much feared and people end up dead if they oppose this regime called National Alliance ….

But who are the National Alliance based on ?? … they are clearly far right …. v nationalistic, anti trade union, etc. ….. their takeover of workplaces is similar to the Republic of Gilead's strategy from The Handmaid's Tale …. the author said it was based to an extent on Syria too and you can see the ISIS in it, also you can see Assad's emergency reaction in there …. you can see Trump's purge of the Republicans in there …..

So far the far right remain a small but very violent entity in Ireland …. there are parties similar to the one in the book but not strong enough to take hold …. it is a warning to Ireland ….

This book should be turned into a TV series too …. it would be a great one and would join Love/Hate and Kin as the best Irish series of all time …. it should be made by the people who made Love/Hate or Kin too ….

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Much obliged!

I will bung it on my next reading item. I missed your description by one day as I just opened another Johan Theorin novel.

A new author to me, but very readable and not quite to the same pattern as most crime novels I have read.

Your summary is appreciated, a lot better than the I read, am reading xyz or suchlike that seems the norm, is totally meaningless and is far better summed up by the Amazon reader rating.

Advertisement