Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 notes being refused

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

You wouldn't get much change from a 50 in there anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I remember seeing plenty of ATMs in Galway city that issued 10s. I always presumed it was down to there being so many students there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Same experience here. I think some just have 50s and 10s now, with no 20s.

50s can be a pain to get changed, I feel bad for wiping out the float in smaller places, so don't try. Pubs are fair game at any time IMHO, and supermarkets with self-service checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

doesn’t mean who haven’t accepted them And past them On

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I don't need my head examined. I used to fill the atmosphere in the shop I worked in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Right we've established two things.

-ATMs give out tenners and twenties

-Shops fill their own ATMs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I always knew it was Costa who was the pale horse man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Have never received 10 or 20s from an ATM.Wait,maybe I did once a few years ago,10 years-all 20s.Never happened again.The minimum note is 50 due to cost of living-I suspect if you ask for 60 you will get 1 x 50 and 1x 10,70 becomes 50 and 20 from some banks.It must depend on the banks customers.In the UK a previous poster said 50s are never dispensed regardless of the amount requested

You have to ask for them in your bank.Depends on how big a wad you want to walk out of the bank with

Same here.But a lot of shops display the dodgy ones,not just 50s.So,amateurish you wonder how they crossed the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Came here fully expecting the usual answer ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

If staff are given a fake note as method of payment,they are legally bound to not hand it back to the customer and keep it to take it out of circulation.Just because you can see it behind the counter does not mean they have been duped.I

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's an ecb requirement that all notes loaded into an atm are passed through a note checker first.

Any shop that has an atm will have a note checker in the back office.

It's provided to them along with the atm.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well known if you are in this space: criminals well integrated in the system so when the ATM " breaks down" say on a Sunday, who opens it and replaces real with fake.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Yep, most people in the UK have never seen a £50 note. It’ll get queried as it’s so unusual to see one in the wild. You’ll never get one from an ATM

€50 notes are way more common here, both in circulation and from ATMs. Never seen €100 notes or higher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sure, €50 not as valuable as £50. It's at least 15% less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I know it’s probably to combat money laundering but for people who use cash daily for things like petrol weekly shop etc, 100 euro notes would be very handy -

I’m still surprised just how many people doing their weekly shop in supermarkets use cash to pay for it. Not criticising it btw, just an observation. I’m very anti forced electronic payments in shops - people should have the right to spend their money where they wish without having every transaction electronically recorded - but I think the day will come when electronic only and cashless shops will become a lot more prevalent - and that’s not a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The €50 is the go to note everywhere the Euro circulates. As of July 2023 49% of all notes by quantity were 50's. 46.3% by value. Next highest by quantity was the €20, 16.3%. Rare in Ireland but probably common enough in other countries the €100, 13.3% by quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I typically find ATMs, in Dundrum & Churchtown, state “please select another amount” when I tried to coerce it into giving me smaller denominations, eg by keying in €180. I imagine it may depend on location of ATMs, eg a Ballsbridge machine might only have €50, and a Tallaght machine might dispense €10. I stand to be corrected here, but it might make sense to provide for what is more demanded locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Every shop should have a Cashtec CT1900. Foolproof detection and online updates for new variations and scams. Costs about €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You can't expect the person at the till to put every note through that. Back office great idea but out front next to a till isn't going to work.

At the till a UV light and some common sense, its cheap quick easy doesn't take up much room and with one built into the till the customer doesn't feel that they are being suspected of anything. The pens work but when I was researching fakes I came across ways of coating the fake so it reacted the same way to a pen as a genuine note.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

and that costa don’t either

1. Trust their staff to verify 50s
    2. Provide the correct technology to verify notes

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

When i worked abroad, I would change my foreign cash into Euros in Kantors (money exchange centres). It was easier to travel with €500 notes - know as Bin Ladens for their popularity with money launderers.

They no longer print Bin Ladens but are still in circulation

Using them on the high street however is nigh impossible. You have to resort to a bank and, even then, you need an account with that bank to either lodge or have a teller cash them out

They dont want you using cash anymore. I prefer cash and use it instead of card whenever I can

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Murt2024

What are you talking about? Basically all bank ATMS connected to their branch give you 10 euro doesn't matter the location.

ATMs in shops, supermarkets etc dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The forgeries reason is BS, it suits them not to take "big" notes. It probably won't affect business that much given that many customers of coffee shops would be normie trend followers, stuck to their phones with Revolut and apps for everything. Some would be pleased to see that sign as they'd regard it as validating their life choices, they can then congratulate themselves for being "with it" unlike old fogey cash users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Not just in the back office. The shop I worked in had a checker at each till and every €50 was checked. It takes less than a second. It's just a marker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife used to oversee a desk which would take in reasonably significant cash payments, up to low four figures at times.

one of the lads came in to her one morning saying 'something in the air today, every note i've checked has been fake'. so she went out to look; and he'd been using a dry wipe marker to check the notes, not an actual proper marker for checking for fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Give your business to someone other than CostaFortune Coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There are far too many ATMs that have been closed over the past decade etc. It's not a good development at all. Older people must really struggle.

I still prefer to use cash for many smaller purchases. Very few shop based ATMs (pretty much the only ones left these days) will issue €10 notes. Half the time they are out of service anyway.

Advertisement