Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 notes being refused

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

They very soon come to light as I assume from some of his posts Sleeper12 runs a business and must bank those fifties.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Trust me I would know. There are noticeable differences & I'm not talking about the built in security. Paper is their biggest challenge. They can't source original paper so it feels different. They try add starch & then iron it with a regular household iron. As soon as you crumple it all you need to do is look at the creases. You will start to see white paper in places along the crease.

Here's is an interesting fact :a blind person will pick out a dodgy note quicker compared to a sighted person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

lol, I used to work for a company supplying these machines.

They've been in business for over 25 years at this stage, all built on sand it seems….

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/paym/cashprof/cashhand/html/index.en.html

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

My drug dealer has started to carry one of those small machines to check if the money is legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

On the contrary that is probably why people find themselves in minimum wage jobs, they don't care enough about their job or are incapable of doing so.

Handed in a fifty the other morning in my local Spar, the cashier then showed me a forgery that some other cashier had taken in. It was so obvious in terms of colour, feel, and size that it was beyond belief that it was accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

CBI will now regulate the ATMs so reduced scope for criminals… Yawn

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Euro notes aren't even made from paper, they're cotton, are they not?

I don't know what they are made from tbh.

My point is that counterfeiters can't get their hands on anything that remotely feels real. Anyone who handles cash on a regular basis will be able to pick out fake notes by the way they feel. This is beside the fact that €50 notes have about 20 security features that counterfeiters can't replicate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if it was some circular from UK HQ.

I lived in England for three years recently and only saw a £50 three times. The first time was myself with sterling I'd got from my bank at home and then had to get broken down into smaller notes in a bank in England, and the other two times was yank tourists with the same problem.

I missed this post until it was recently quoted.

Another thing I do quite often is change money from Euro's to Pounds Sterling and vice versa in the UK. Its interesting to note talking to the cashiers who deal with the money who wants what particular denominations.

Regularly I get offered twenty euro notes for pounds and always request fifty euro notes. In fact I've often gone to change money and the only thing on offer for pounds was twenty euro notes.

So I just wonder if this is a company policy that has just been mandated/copied from the UK with UK management not realising the number of fifty euro notes in circulation here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

UK HQ should be aware that €50 notes are 50% of all Euro notes by quantity in circulation. The UK has decided that £50 notes are somehow dodgy, but that does not apply here.

My wife works for an EU based company but their regional HQ for Ireland was in the UK, they're getting around to reconfiguring that arrangement but repeatedly since Brexit she get circulars that have nothing to do with EU law and conditions.

I had a niece working in TKmaxx years ago who said they'd constantly get ask from the British based HQ why union jack embossed clothes didn't sell in Ireland like they did in the UK. Rinse and repeat every few months.

I often had English people ask me which part of Ireland is theirs! One uni graduate who at least knew we used the Euro still asked if we change our Irish euros for Spanish euros when we go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why aren't we using polymer notes? Much easier to handle and count in my experience (as long as they're dry) Harder to counterfeit too apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Genuine question, how would you know what a fake €50 looks like if you haven’t seen one in 20 years?

All I can give you is my experience when I’ve compared them to the real thing in my hand, and unless you’re blind, you’d need a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I was in Glasgow recently, notice in taxi from airport stated “we accept euro notes”. I wonder do they accept €50s 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sure there's a recent post on this very site by someone moving here from the UK asking if their electrical appliances will work here 🙄🙄🙄

I'm in business since 1985 and have seen plenty of dodgy notes. I have never excepted any because they are so obvious. This doesn't take into account all of the security tags that are missing from the dodgy note.

There is a reason most people try to pass them off in darkened pubs, clubs and taxis on a far larger scale than their local supermarkets. If they don't have darkness they rely on businesses being too busy (Christmas, Cheltenham etc) to pay close attention. The reason for try to pass them in darkness or when staff are overwhelmed is because they are so easy to spot.

The new ones you have been shown are newly starched & ironed. Put them in your pocket for an hour or so and they won't look so good. The dodgy notes that do get passed rarely are good enough to pass on a 2nd time. They really start to look bad the more they are handled.

I hope they were told that electricity is only a novelty here and still hasn't caught on it parts of the whest.

For anyone that was following this thread they might find this interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Was in the chipper in Cralow the other night. Young lad was told to 'eff off with his fake 50 euro note. He edidn't argue, he just beat a hasty retreat. Think I head the fellow behind the counter 'look at the black mark' (or words to that effect, didn't cop on what he was really saying until it was too late). I gather there was no real problem identifying it as fake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I wonder what people would be buying that they would need to use a 50 euro note. I've never been in a coffee shop before so am unaware of the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I was in a nice part of the UK last week speaking with a very middle class lady who told me her husband was going to Dublin for a conference the next day. It transpired he was going to Belfast. All the same in her view.

They haven't a clue about Ireland in Britain.

the ATMs often dispense in quantities of €50 notes only

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had a tenner out of a non-AIB (AIB being mentioned repeatedly as a place that does them) ATM in the past week. Some of the independent types do the mix of notes thing that is common basically everywhere except Ireland; I think this one was a Brinks.

I wouldn't be massively surprised if some student area ATMs still have fivers. In Scotland there were a few ATMs with one pound notes (they still have them) in the era when fivers became astoundingly rare here.

I got a €100 from an ATM in Germany in November and was thinking it'd be impossible to get rid of. Absolutely no issues. Very different place when it comes to cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Regularly get paid 500 200 and 100 euro notes. Usually from non nationals. Other workers I have like those notes and often ask me to get paid in them. I have to say I like a mint 500 note myself, Agree that in the UK a 20 is the common tender and a 50 is more like a 100 here. Same in Spain where a 50 is a no no. No tengo cambio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The Germans love the high denominations...they had a 1000 Deutsch mark note which was worth more than €500....

Thats why we had a €500 note....the Germans wanted it....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I know you'll get the moaners and whingers on about the poor fella trying to manage on his pension while still allowing himself one 2 Euro flutter per week, but most of those people will never spare a thought for the poor bookie who knows that if that pensioner gets out of the betting shop with any off that 50 intact, he's just going to waste it on food or heating bills when it could have been going towards the bookies cocaine habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There is a predominance in Ireland of €50 notes in ATMs. I think things have improved in recent years though with ATMs operated by the traditional banks. It's a bit easier to get smaller notes than it used to be. In my student days 20 years ago the only place I could get a €10 note was the Bank of Ireland machine in UCC. Makes sense I suppose with all the broke students.

The traditional banks seems to be pulling back from ATM provision a bit. It seems it's being left to the likes of shops and petrol stations, using Euronet and Point Cash ATM machines, to fulfil cash demand. These ATM machines never have anything smaller than €20.

The Dail Finance committee want to ensure smaller denominations of notes are more freely available from ATMs to facilitate people with lower incomes. Below article from April 2024.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/04/01/atms-must-dispense-notes-smaller-than-50-oireachtas-committee-urges/?

I'd like if ATMs here would offer you a selection of notes to make up your withdrawl amount. I've used ATMs in Germany and Austria that offer this. If you wanted €200 you could tell the ATM to give you 20 €10 notes or 10 €20 notes etc.

I've taken €5 notes out of the ATM in Tallinn and got €100 notes out of the ATM in Bratislava. It was a bit strange seeing those notes coming out of the ATM.

It seems odd Costa not accepting €50 notes now. There're everywhere here. When I lived in the UK there was always a deep mistrust of the £50 note. You'd never see one in general circulation and you would never get one out of an ATM, you'd always get £10s and £20s.

Advertisement