Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - mod warnings in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That press conference was a complete disaster.

It only solidified that stark difference between the DNC ticket and Trump.

Very telling that Vance wasn't involved. This wasn't anything other than a Trump whingefest.

Whatever plan the Trump campaign had that thought this was going to be a good idea certainly didn't work.

I thought one of the most cringing points was when he was asked why he hadn't been out campaigning and his reply was he was busy making videos!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've read suggestions online that this was a solo run by Trump - It was noted that none of his campaign team appeared to be there and little things like the lack of any "Trump/Vance 2024" branding around the place etc.

I suspect it was just Trump sitting alone in Mar-a-Lago seeing all the positive press about Harris and he got angry and announced a Presser with zero preparation.

And as Lawrence O'Donnell noted in the clip posted above , once again the US Media put clicks ahead of journalistic integrity and facilitated an angry old mans rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I've re-learned a truth from Lawrence O'Donnell and that a response from Trump is not necessarily an answer to the question; where Trump is concerned, it's an evasion and more probably a lie into the bargain. Trump got what he wanted. Hopefully the next time trump calls a news conference and asks for specific journalists only, the newsdesk editor says "no".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Also Trump saying Vance is doing great gave me a vibe that he'll keep him. He doesn't want to but he needs to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I saw that clip by Lawrence to be a call to his fellow journalists to stop running after Trump and have some balls to ask hard questions and follow ups. I remember Trump's tenure, and towards the end, you saw some (a small few) journalists being cut off by Trump and other journalists not letting the issue go. That's the way to handle him. Swat away his stock answer and drill down. It doesn't matter if he calls you rude. Wear it like a badge of honour and hit him again with the question.

FFS - this is a chance to make a name for yourself (in a good way). Be the person who asked Trump one of those questions above. Be the person who called him on the BS and asked the difficult follow up.

• Advertisement

I think the reason why the media did run when he called this time was they thought there was a very small chance he had a major announcement to make and didn't want to miss it. I can understand that. But why not cut away when it became clear it was the usual grievances and utter nonsense, i.e. business as usual.

The only upside to this presser is that the more people hear from Trump, the more they remember why they dislike him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They won't because he generates traffic and "engagement" so they'll continue to allow him to spout endless b*ollocks unchecked in real time because it's good for business.

Horrible for the country , but good for business so that's what they'll keep doing.

The problem is that they won't see the majority of this.

There will be carefully curated 5/10/15 second clips where he is "sort of" making a point that will be pushed out across Social media and that's all his supporters will see.

They won't see that 55 minutes plus of the 60 minute event was nonsenical horsesh!t.

Every single verbal slip by Biden was torn asunder in the media as evidence of his "decline" yet no one is doing that for Trump.

He is quite literally incapable for completing a coherent sentence without losing his train of thought , glitching or wandering off on a bizarre tangent.

Why aren't they attacking him the same way they attacked Biden??

I had the horrible thought that the Eds were covering all bases on the "what if" basis. White House journalists accreditation passes. etc. horrible as it might seem….

No one seems to want the job of the child who points out the emperor is wearing no clothes.

• Advertisement

One of the replies to that tweet has a quote from comedian Michelle Wolf at the Press association dinner a few years ago that sums this up perfectly

Some nice trolling...

"The Harris campaign, just over two weeks old, quickly seized on Trump’s major vulnerability — his fragile ego. They are exploiting it to mess with him and call him out.

The Harris team opened an account on Truth Social — the social media platform owned by Trump — and posted side-by-side pictures of Trump and Harris crowds at the same venues just to taunt him. The pictures showed turnout about the same."

It seems the Sept 10 debate on ABC is going ahead by agreement of both campaigns so that is one certainty.

I don't know how the Secret Service and ABC are going to do the vetting of the invited audience, assuming there will be some.

The size of the turnout at Harris's rallies [as reported by the media, and the attention it is paying to her] is getting under Trump's skin so he will need to be mollified if people want him to attend the debate with Harris, whatever about him showing some restraint or decorum to her and the debate-hosts.

Mollify him my hole.

I wouldn't give him an inch.

If he won't debate because he isn't allowed to lie and riff off the crowd , then let him refuse to debate.

He can't use the "I don't need to debate I'm leading" guff anymore , so let him look bad.

Last week he was 30/40 minutes late to the NABJ event because he was backstage pitching a fit that they were going to fact check him live and he didn't want that.

He of course lied and said it was because they were having Audio equipment issues.

But make him squirm , make him look every inch the fragile egotistical fool that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,962 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Harris should just set up a factchecking website and tell people during the debate, eg. Nope that’s a lie go to trumpsafatliar dot com and see for yourself and just live fact check him there

Bad news for Trump...

Rogan and Pool have said they are voting for RJK, which will draw support from Trump, not Harris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A lot depends on whether RJK stays in the race… I'm thinking if Trump is losing ground more likely RJK will stay in the race, as any promise of an administration job will be worthless. Seems like he is taking 3-5 percentage points off Trump in some states.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Wonder if they will experience the same backlash shittenhouse received and have to backtrack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

At this stage he's going to be on the ballot in a number of states regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Does Senor Fuentes think RFK will have a non-catastrophic victory?

• Advertisement

Rogan is probably just saying it to play up to his non-partisan nonsense gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,872 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rogan won't care anyway he will sit back and smoke a cigar lighting it with hundred dollar bills from is Spotify deal.

Well if anyone believes that gimmick would believe anything, but then again it would explain why they listen to him in the first place.

Harris now ahead of him in the polls of the battleground States.

The rambling of a weird old man are turning the voters off.

I doubt anyone but a handful of people in Spotify and Rogans camp know. However he signed a new $250m deal earlier this year after his $200m 4 year deal with them expired. He has according to Spotify 14.5 followers on there platform. How many of them pay is another thing.

Safe to say he is pulling in close to $1m week for his podcast.

The highest paid podacster with a massive audience, definitely not mainstream.

• Advertisement

Someone doesn't like to be dumped...

Advertisement