Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - mod warnings in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Trump has referenced the ‘we lost by a whisker’ twice in the last week in seperate interviews, so I suspect that it wasn’t one of his usual stupid slips, that it’s part of a strategy to defend whatever is going to be released soon, that he already has been given the heads up on. Damage control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

it just took him….almost 4 years to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Just like pivoting on reproductive care in recent weeks, borne out of desperation. Both pivots will lose him more votes than he’ll win from both statements. He knows that there’s a chance he could lose Florida, hence the initial pivot. That would be catastrophic to his ego, having to live there after losing an election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

As much as I'd love to see it, they won't lose Florida. The polls haven't really changed there in weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think its actually due to all the distrust in the electoral system he sowed among his own voters, he needs to get them out so has to start telling them in his own distorted way that every vote matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

”Every vote matters” is a Democrat slogan - I don’t think his ego will allow him say that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The gobsh!tes won't care. Maga wasn't trump's invention, they'll listen to this

Not to mention his comments about mail in voting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im well aware that why hes instead saying "we lost by a whisker" etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,800 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Harris should focus on, getting people out to vote. To do that she should focus on the dangers of a Trump presidency. Make him deny Project 25, for example, but point out that his VP is totally tied into it. That's all I expect from Harris. I don't expect Trump to blow up or anything like that. such behaviour would be a bonus. She also needs to keep with, the positive story, of her campaign.

Is there a correlation between how much he pushes the rigged voting line vs how worried he might be, behind the scenes I wonder - my view is that if he’s constantly pushing this line between now and the election his data is telling him he’s behind or too close to call.

• Advertisement

She’s been called out on lack of policy detail from a number of undecided voters - I know there is no policy on the Trump side but she’s still a job to do to generate more votes- I’m looking at the Debate for her chance to lay out her stall - after that, a cool head and calm but sometimes clever responses will see her through the debate- but yes getting voters to go to the polls on the day will be key- I have a theory that MAGA voters are fine with all the shouting and online banter but will fail to turn up in the numbers required at the polls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'm not sure I'm agree. It should definitely not be ignored, but I think an awful lot of people are really sick and tired of negative campaigning and living in fear.

I certainly am.

I like that the democrat campaign is trying to focus on the future in a positive way instead. And every so often they brush Trump and Vance aside as a weird irrelevance that they have to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He won't ever admit that he's behind in the polls as that's an admission that he's not the best

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The double standard in the media is really frustrating.

Trumps has no policies whatsoever and when asked about it he vomits forth a stream of utterly incomprehensible nonsense with the odd "Tariffs!!!" and "Drill Baby Drill" thrown in and gets let off the hook.

Harris gives actual answers and the messaging is "She's a bit vague on Policy"..

Just maddening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Rawr

Less than +5, it's in the margin so not impossible. Very difficult for sure, and not very likely…but it might actually be possible. You've also got the wild card of those GOP dimwits putting Abortion on the ballot. That will get voters out who are likely to vote for the Dems. Many of these will be new voters who have likely not been polled.

I kind of hope the danger of this will split the GOP's attention away from the Swing States to trying to hold onto Florida. Without Florida they need not bother with the Swing States because it would already be Game Over.

It's a dream scenario for sure, but beyond Donnie getting defeated in the election as a whole, I relish the idea of Donnie waking up one day to find that his current home state voted against him. The idea alone just makes me smile so much…

I’m reading that differently- I can’t for the life of me guess why MAGA supporters accept anything Trump spits out no less the man himself- but Democrats in the main still expect their candidate to do all the normal boring things like talk about policy the economy security etc

I don’t think it’s “double standards” - I just think Harris is behaving like all normal presidential candidates are expected to behave. Recent polling from undecided voters stated lack of policy detail as on of the reasons they’re still on the fence- now why the feic anyone would be on the fence in this election is beyond me- but if there’s a chance she can persuade even these numbnuts to get off their arses to vote her on the day, then it’s worth reiterating her policies especially at the debate - I don’t think it can hurt her and may help her

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I see the viewpoint but I don't buy it.

"I haven't seen enough policy detail to vote for Harris instead of Trump" just doesn't make sense.

Trump flaps about like a monkey with a brain injury and they think Harris needs to provide more specifics to win them over???

I might offer that a vote for Trump isn't based on anything rational. Just like a vote for Brexit, voting for him is based on feeling and nothing much else. Of course, some voters can't actually own up to voting on something so very reckless as just their feelings. So when challenged they might come and say "Well…I've got to see Harris' policy on XYZ…" But in reality, they're going with a feeling.

That's my guess based on little more than….well my gut-feeling ironically…but I get the sense that many Trump voters know very well that Trump is a stupid choice for President…but they like the feeling of choosing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In relation to his pivot on the election now not being stolen, I saw a number of articles where those asked opined that they were sick and tired of his moaning about the last election. Maybe that might be the reason it is not to the forefront. Plus I suppose, how long can you expect people to be angry/motivated over that topic. At some point, they are worn out.

Trump's performances of late lack any sort of enthusiasm, or bravado. He absolutely looks like a beaten man. I can't blame him for that. With all the court cases against him, despite his considerable resources, he is looking at a world of pain if he loses in November. That is some amount of pressure, and the drugs can only help so much.

Please don't mistake ^^^^ that for sympathy. He deserves what is coming to him, and so so much more. Should he be beaten in November, it will mark the end of an extremely embarrassing and baffling time in American politics. Christ, I can't wait for it.

And I do think that if he is beaten, his influence will dissipate a lot quicker than most expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If Judge Chutkan were to decide to authorise the release of the transcript today before the weekend [or tomorrow] when courts will be quiet, it would be the optimum time for the newspapers to get hold of more unpublished information and print it up, even if they had a short debate at editorial and owner level. Weekends are great for newspapers to print breaking news headline stories. The NYT published the Pentagon Papers on a Sunday morning. Publish and be damned.

The WWW is no different. Different sites would be happy to get it out. Once it got onto the net, there is nothing SCOTUS or any friend of Trump could do about the public commentating on it in conversations, as it is borderless. Trump would definitely have a meltdown greater than any other president ever had before about the judge interfering with the electoral process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Economics101

"And I do think that if he is beaten, his influence will dissipate a lot quicker than most expect."

I hope you are right: but it would help if he is beaten by a very wide margin and that just one or two states are not pivotal in terms of the EC outcome.

Yeah I get that - look Harris has had a mountain to climb since becoming the chosen one for the democrats and she’s done pretty darn well so far - I guess there’s a natural inclination to make sure she’s doing everything she can - polls had Biden trailing in many instances - now it’s such a close call - a mis step by Trump usually gives him more votes not less - a mis step by Harris and she may not hold on to some voters. Yes it’s non sensical in a way but its a reality that can’t be ignored - she can do what she ever she feicin well likes when she wins 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Harris should definitely call him out on the election denial rubbish. If he is now pivoting to accepting the result, the first thing she should ask him is to finally concede the election to Biden, as he should have done 3.5 years ago. Second, that he 100% accepts that the elections are fair and will not be pushing the 'stollen' agenda again.

I imagine him disintergrating quickly too.

You mention him having considerable reasources, and currently yes; he does. However a lot of what he currently has access to in terms of money and influence are contingent on what happens in the next couple of months:

• I suspect that the GOP itself is now keeping the lights on in many of his properties.
    • He's paying himself from campaign donations to the election as well as money coming in for his various legal defence grifts. Both of which might stop upon him losing.
    • His Truth Social gambit might only get him some millions when he attempts to see his stock.
    • I suspect he was also laundering Russian cash prior to 2016, and with the current state of the Russians I somewhat expect that tap has now dried up for him.
    • He faces a lot of Trump Org getting liqudiated to pay his outstanding taxes to New York state. (Including possibly Trump Tower)
    • He faces an increasing defamation tab to pay out to in the Carrol case.
    • All manner of individuals, cities and states may come after him personally for all of the Trump-rally bills he never paid.
    • Not to mention the tower of legal fees he faces now and into the future.
    • As well as an eventual divorce settlement with Melania. The filing of which I expect to happen shortly after an election loss.

Donnie lives on a massive and poorly balanced house of playing cards. The only thing that keeps a light gust of wind from toppling the whole thing is the hope that he can win the election and become an untouchable dictator. If he loses…it's all gone, and possibly quite quickly.

And ask him to apologise for all those arrested and jailed over Jan 6th.

She could also ask him to explain why he pardoned Bannon, who also lied the faithful MAGA by asking for money to build the wall and then spending it on himself.

Try to focus in on how he consistently fúcks over his own.

I hope a rake of those right wing shills, like Gorka and Bongino are caught up in this big mess. He certainly looks worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭scottser

Republicans aren't voting for Trump on the basis of a feeling. They're voting for him because their churches are telling them to. Trump's biggest ally in all this are the evangelicals and the Israel lobby. Both groups are invested in the decimation of Gaza and the West Bank because they believe that when Zion is restored it will lead to the second coming of Christ. It's a handy twofer for Trump; he gets to make a killing (literally) on the land development deals and secure his president-for-life status under P2025 in return for the genocide of a people Americans don't care about.

You can expect him to hammer home this point at the debate next week; Harris hates the Jews. Democrats want the destruction of Israel etc. These people are fanatics - drooling, rabid, unforgiving fascists and about as far away from 'feeling' as you can get.

Sebastian Gorka involved in spreading Russian disinformation??

The former advisor to Victor Orban , that Sebastian Gorka??

No , I won't believe it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

that’s not how the courts work though, were she to authorize their release she would still be granting a window for the defendant to make appeals if they wish, same for any defendant or motion. Due process is protected by 14A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

OK. So for fair play justice across the board Judge Chutkan has to give Trump's team a right to respond with time-space first if she proposes to make the transcript available to the public so they can get a friend of his to shut her down from a higher position within the same justice system.

It seems that for the public to have a fair reading of what the Trump team want to hide from them is for some good old "Watergate-style" investigative journalism alongside a deep throat insider [interested in the best interests of the US] leak to ensure the truth is known.

Sometimes I think Mario Puzo got it right when it came to the undertaker "for justice we must go to the Don" even if that last word is not appropriate to the situation. The book also talks about the Don having judges in his pocket like so much loose change.

Advertisement