Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

1131132133134135137»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure if Farage if far up the food chain in Trump's GOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭briany

The thing about the American right wing is that they're not really that bothered about ideological purity. In fact, they're bothered about it very little. They'd vote for the head of the biggest pro-choice organisation in the country, were that person to turn around and tell them they'd get a national abortion ban delivered in the next election.

It's been a constant blind spot of the left that they're applying their own standards of moral consistency to the right. This is an error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Lots of articles if you look around like these:

24 years ago:

https://joycearthur.com/abortion/the-only-moral-abortion-is-my-abortion/

More recent:

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/24/the-white-conservative-southern-women-asked-me-to-keep-their-abortions-secret/

The OP on this arc mentioned Irish Catholic relatives in the US. Same experience here, absolutely bonkers anti-abortion and that's all they vote for. Far more right-wing than here, the notion of free health care like exists in Ireland sent them into apoplexy when I brought it up once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I sometimes wonder if the average GOP members from within the ranks [as it were] gets a mind to look around and ask themselves how the rest of the worlds nations view Trump and the election campaign he's landed the GOP with AND if they do, do they care a fig about it. Presently it seems it's like the world can go to hell in a handbasket and the GOP doesn't give one fig about it if it did. As a tourist spot, I don't think it rates well for visitors.

Some of the leaders on that side of the house seem to be minded that it should cos "the rapture" would arrive for them; nutcases that they are. Trump shouting about other nations emptying their asylums and sending the inmates to the US without a glance over his shoulder at those standing shoulder to shoulder right behind him.

Deleted comment, transferred it as reply to JW.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Ribs1234

Guessing the same third party advisors are helping in Venezuela. I was struck by the potential for the same tactics to be used again and again:

Venezuela currently from Irish Times article:

“Despite documented results showing a decisive opposition victory from the country’s 15,000 polling stations, collated by opposition volunteers – the certificates are available for inspection online – Maduro insists he has a majority and clings to power with the support, but no evidence, from the official electoral commission and now the supreme court packed with his supporters.”

Advertisement