Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken

Options
  • 25-05-2024 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Our cats love boiled chicken, I buy a large chicken that typically feeds 5-6 people. Only once the chicken is boiled it reduces in size by at least a third. Is this normal, I heard somewhere that the chickens are pumped with water to bring the weight up so more could be charged for the chicken in the supermarket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

buy 2 x small chickens - dunnes are under 5 quid a pop. plenty of chicken. theres nothing new in the add water to ham or checken etc. maybe you just found out about it? it has to be declared on the packaging i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

They are not pumped with water, but about 5% is added to make it more succulent (Eu Limits - has to be declared if higher).

In the USA it is higher.

In cooking you will lose about 25% of the weight of chicken because as well as some water being added, it naturally has a high water content just as us humans have too.

Chicken is about 70-75% moisture, us humans are about 60%

Here's an EU study on the subject

https://agriculture.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2020-02/ext-study-water-poultry-leaflet_2012_en_0.pdf

Advertisement