Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Bits of Groupsets

Options
  • 25-05-2024 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭

This probably deserves to be in the stupid question thread, but here goes.

I have GRX 2x11 mechanical on my bike. GRX 12 speed has just gone electronic, so I figured there might be good prices on the 11 speed di2 components.

My thinking was I'd only have to swap shifters and derailleurs, but I don't even know where to start looking, would I be buying each one separately, can you buy half a groupset like that, do the cables etc come with the shifters, do I have to buy them separately.

If anyone can point a virtual finger in the right direction for it, I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I asked the exact same question on here a few months ago and found this link to be helpful.

In the end the extra bits (battery, junction boxes, wireless unit and 5 or 6 cables of different lengths etc) actually added up to a lot of extra cost so I didn't go with di2

https://bettershifting.com/building-a-di2-bike-what-parts-do-you-need/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You'd think so but the di2 stuff seems to remain expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Right, had a really quick look at this. The whole thing is complete nonsense.

A full 2x11 di2 groupset is €1,135. That includes everything except a bottom bracket.

Two shifters, two derailleurs and a battery is €910. That's not including junction boxes or cables.

When I add in those pieces, it becomes more expensive than the groupset.

That's just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That's already a bit cheaper than at the beginning of the year, it was over 1500. Obviously 12 speed coming out changes things.

I've found it cheaper to buy part by part on some groupsets as long as you are not paying postage for one item each time, but not for Di2

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mvt

Don't mean to derail the thread but strongly thinking of heading to the likes of Sensah for my next groupset because of issues like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement