Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics and Society

Options
  • 25-05-2024 6:31pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I started teaching this recently. I'm based out west. The kids are quite weak in the class.

About 70% fail most house exams. A lot have patchy attendence. Poor behaviour

They choose the subject to avoid other subjects or the other teachers dumped them on me. I wasn't informed I had the subject until September.

Most will be doing Ordinary. I'm hoping with a decent project they might pass.

Oide are not great. I have a colleague who is unhelpful to put it mildly. She is busy getting promoted. Already has a B post. Not 28

Any guidance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

have you joined pastai? They have some good resources and cpd.

When you say oide aren’t great, what have you done with them? Have you applied for in-school support?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I didn't apply for in school support as that's not what I need.

The few times I contacted Oide were not great. Had to be contacted twice to get a reply. They won't answer specific questions - it's a school visit or nothing.

I did an inservice which was decent except for the bit on patriarchy which was way over the top.

I need to talk to someone with experience of the course who can strip it down for me.

Someone who is familiar with a Deis school and the low motivation that prevails.

These guys won't study and only occasionally do homework

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Make sure you order past papers early in September. They ran out of them last year and didn’t reprint.

I’d do a very basic run through of the 8 topics in that case, and then focus heavily on past papers. For OL the recent papers have had really good prompts on the essays. I’d focus on those, and have two essays done in class (as a group on the board or one note if necessary) on each topic. Any of the annual reports, I’d study the data once they come out and ask questions similar to the OL DBQ on them.

Do projects in groups. Allow lots of class time for them. Topics can be discussed as you are doing the projects anyway.

There’s a teachers Facebook page too, but I don’t know how active it is.

Advertisement