Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering landscape and returning to Ireland.

Options
  • 25-05-2024 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Just a quick post to try and get some opinions on a few things.

Background is that I was away in London from 2015 to 2023. Worked mostly in FinTech. Earlier in AppDev but mostly backend dev with Go and all the usual trimmings around infra/microservices/cicd, as that evolved.

My work was predominantly contract based a few shorter gigs between 3-7 months and some then were 12 months +.

I've recently been looking to get back to working here in Ireland (Based in Tipp, so remote/hybrid) but not really been feeling much enthusiasm for my profile.

Some thoughts:

1. Market is crap and it is what it is.
    2. They see Go and decide i'm not a fit - I don't feel Go is popular here. But I am a seasoned engineer and can pick up other stuff. I was offered a job in C# .NET Core a while back, for example. For modern webservice development there is a lot more than just the language.
    3. They see my tenure at places and feel i'm too flighty (or crap!). While I do admit to being spoiled for roles in London when the market was good, as a contractor I find there is often a multitude of reasons for people moving around (with only few of them being bad). It's also the clients issue for putting you on rolling 3 month contracts and then being surprised when you get something more stable with better money. Maybe contracting isn't as common here and people just aren't familiar with this.

I'm not saying i'm amazing and they are all fools for not hiring me… i'm more trying to figure out the market and what people look for. And perhaps if I need to pivot, in what direction?

Interested to hear peoples thoughts and experience on the current market.

EDIT: Also interested to hear what kind of salary I should expect. My past salaries are so much different to what I should expect in Ireland, that I have no idea how to answer that question. Is €90-100k reasonable? :shrugs.

Many thanks

Advertisement