Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprained back

Options
  • 26-05-2024 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi all. I recently hurt my back ( 2 months ago ). I was putting a toddler in the car seat and it just went. It’s in the lower back. I was in great pain for a few days but it began to ease. It was 90 per cent better after a month and I returned to gym and tennis etc. However, I was putting baby in cot and it went again about 2 weeks ago. My physio said it’s a sprain and that if will be ok in time but I’m freaking out. 2 months seems so long to have a sprain. I was wondering whether anyone had a similar situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A sprain can take absolutely ages to heal fully. Usually because the area sprained is somewhere you cannot avoid using. Maybe chat again with the physio for an explanation or examples of how you can support your healing by utilising nearby muscle groups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Sprains are a tear to a ligament, and ligaments don't get as much blood flow as muscles (in some cases, no blood flow). You need blood flow to repair the tear so that's why a Sprain takes more time to heal.

From experience, and I've a lot, a couple of things help to stimulate blood flow and these include TENS or light to moderate massage. Some people do cupping and dry needling, but I would be very careful about doing anything with my back. Talk to a physio or chiropractor before doing anything.

Best of luck with the rehab and take your time, rushing rehab generally leads to a longer recovery.

Advertisement