Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ID4 or Model Y EV

Options
  • 26-05-2024 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys,

just got solar panels installed and they are a great job, thinking of buying an EV now. Any thoughts on either of the above? New is probably the way to go with the recent price reductions in EVs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ID4. Much newer spec than the Y and by all accounts a very comfortable and solid car. There are threads on both cars in the EV subforum of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Buying a brand new car is never a great investment. Depending on your daily commute your car may not be home to enjoy the free solar. In the real world you will probably charge your car on cheap night rate.

I would suggest you investigate public charging issues, figure out your daily commute round trip in km, and see if an EV is right for you.

I suggest buying a used EV may be the way to go, 2 or 3 years old, unless you like to burn money. ID4 have lots of used stock. New prices may drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭User1998

Tesla Model 3 is arguably the best value new EV at the moment, but theres not much value in used models are they are holding their value quite well. Same can be said for the Model Y.

Theres very good value to be had for other EV’s in the used market tho such as VW, Nissan, Hyundai etc.

If you have solar then an EV is a bit of a no brainer as long as it suits your use case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Go drive both and make your decision after that.

I’ve had access to both. The ID4 has the legacy brand following but the dealers are no better than Tesla.

The ID4 lacks any form of performance, even the GTX at 299bhp.

The My is minimalist. You’ll either like it or not.

The My is linked to musk. Some people have a weird problem with that.

Budget and preference will dictate. There’s no wrong choice. Just what suits you.

Advertisement