Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE One broke

Options
  • 26-05-2024 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Sound and vision breaking up on RTE One during the racing.

Some on air voice over announcements advising viewers to switch to the news channel. Is it weather related or something else. There doesn’t seem to be any effort to replace the programme with something else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Don't think it was weather related as going out on News Channel.

They have got it working again but lost the Audio Description Channel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Reception fine here.

They just showed a clip of heavy rain at the Curragh earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

If they are using a satellite uplink feed and there is heavy rain south of the site this can cause the uplink to fail. These systems are not designed to work in worst case conditions, a bigger uplink dish is needed which would cause problems if vehicle based dish. Sometimes they can reduce picture quality for a few minutes or increase power temporarily.

It could also be a fault anywhere else in the network, the links between sites can fail in bad weather.

Just checked it out on the +1 and the failure happened just after the opening of the programme .

Given that they got it going out on The News Channel presumably after This Week but before it was fixed (mostly) on RTE 1 I think it was a playout issue on RTE1

ETA They've pulled the +1 at 253pm ( the spoilsports)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

RTE2* and GAAGO are both down too.

*The online version anyway. RTE don’t seem to be aware and continue posting tweets to watch the match.

Edit: GAAGo seems to be back at least

• Advertisement

RTE+1 flicked back on at 325pm for a few seconds with that frozen picture at the start of the thread which is odd given RTE1 fixed their issues by 220pm

RTE live feeds back on player in time for Limerick v Waterford.

edit: gone again. One of the biggest days of the hurling calendar, this is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Maybe if everyone paid their TV License, these little problems would not happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭decor58

Similar issues with satellite, all BBC, ITV and others were missing for about 10 minutes, came back and disappeared again for a few minutes. all seems normal now. C5 channels for some reason were still available for most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Rte News not working for me on the player. Having said that, past experience of using the RTE player is that winning the lotto is more likely than it working

well, RTE are blaming the weather, and quite clearly no amount of TV licenses will buy sunshine in Ireland in May. But I digress. Weather shouldn’t have that sort of effect on streaming.

It can have that effect on satelite communications.

If RTE stream their content over fibre to a DC, and then push upstream from there, weather would not be an issue. You also wouldn't have the issue of RTE Radio One streamed via their website being about 5 minutes behind what is broadcast on the actual radio.

Using satelite is dare I say it, the lazy option and cheap option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

This relates to Space weather, the ionosphere, rather than atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Aw bless.

All these mean licence dodgers. A pox on ya!!

If someone came on here and said the RTE player was working flawlessly, first I'd check the calender that it's not April Fools, then I would look outside and check Judgement Day had not finally arrived.

I'd love to know whose nephew/niece was given the job of writing the RTE player for their college project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

Probably the Satellite finally died as it couldn't take Donal Og's constantly moaning about how the other panelists are interrupting him when they try to make a contribution during one of his 5 minute rambling answers to every question.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

I'd say More likely for a Young Scientist Exhibition.

That would be unkind to the Young Scientist Exhibition candidates. I've been a steward at it a few times and the professionalism in some of those projects is remarkable. It's more of a

"I was gonna finish my college project, but I got high."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Day 1: Hello world

Day 2: Sure you're clearly an expert so your next assignment is to write code for what we will end up calling the RTE Not Player....

Think they are/were having multiple issues .

They just managed to restore AD on RTE1 but any time they try to restore RTE+1 it's that frozen picture for a few seconds

maybe less of the silliness

This was a serious issue that disrupted the enjoyment of thousands of the last day of the GAA hurling championship regular season, and affected both RTE itself and GAAGO (who have apparently told PPV customers “sorry no refunds”).

RTE+1 restored at 556

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

nobody died or got sick, to me that’s a serious issue. But yes, when people are paying they should be refunded, not good enough. There have been serious suggestions here as to how RTE could improve that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Ah yes, "please switch from the shite picture on RTÉ ONE to the even shittier picture on RTÉ News to continue enjoying this programme".🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Advertisement