Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning phone off on flight

Options
  • 26-05-2024 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

Was on a flight recently and the normal instructions were given to put phones in flight mode etc.

When we were near the end of the flight an announcement came that we were to turn our phones off to prevent turbulence.

Just wondering if any one can explain this to me as I've never heard this before.

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Just wondering if any one can explain this to me as I've never heard this before.

I can easily explain the turning off of your mobile phone to prevent turbulence. I can explain it as being a load of bollox.

My only guess is that english was not the flight attendants first language and they confused the words turbulence and interferance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Said turbulence, meant interference - give them a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We had to do it once on a particular flight - someone (who was not me, no most definitely not) accidentally put his phone into Hotspot mode instead of Flight mode just before takeoff. Buttons right next to each other. So a request came for all mobile phones to be switched off.

Whoever that person was must have been terribly embarrassed when they realised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Some lady was talking right beside me on a flight while the plane was in the air. The flight attendant did ask to turn off her phone but the minute the attendant turned her back, this idiot had her phone right back on shouting to her boyfriend. I was livid with her.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The number one reason for this rule was when phones were analog they could cause intereference because the further the way they got from base stations, the more they pumped out. It doesn't happen as much with digital signals, but the excuse that phones can interfere with the navigation system is still used because they dont want people talking on their phone during flights.

If they did, incidents of air-rage would, no pun intended, sky rocket. Imagine you are trying to get some sleep on a long flight and someone is yakking away on their phone? There'd be murders in-flight.

Long may it last, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

Phones needing to be turned off on aircraft rule is as ridiculous as the "do not use phone" you see on fuel forecourts.

Both are based on BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Several incidents which might be indicative of phones interfering with aircraaft sysytems are indicated here:

Eh, 1997!!!?

Technology has moved in a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

The global aviation safety jury is out on this matter. Some aircraft operate on older systems subject to interference on several levels. Certainly if you are sitting up front a good rule of thumb is to desist. Airlines like to charge a lot for calls made over their on-flight WIFI which is facilitated by satellite. It costs a LOT. If you’ve ever tried in-flight WIFI , it’s absolutely woeful and gets traffic jammed very easily in my experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

In reality airplane technology has basically not changed at all since 1997, phones maybe have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just turn the phone off.

Have a snooze, read a paper or a book.

It won't kill you.

Even when you read it (quite an interesting article) it itself is dubious on the connection between cellular phones and interference.

Considering there are almost 100,000 airline flights per DAY, and no real evidence of interference by mobile phones, I would say it's safe.

But the peace and quiet afforded by them being off is serene and thus I hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭beachhead

It has never been proven that a mobile signal interferes with air navigation systems.a request to turn off mobile phones is a precaution only and as another said it prevents air rage incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You want someone pumping petrol while not paying attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I came across this, first result when googling

https://choicecommunications.ie/why-are-mobile-phones-banned-at-petrol-stations-in-ireland/

In short:

No Mobile Phones. So what is that about? Is it in case you get distracted while pumping your fuel...? No, it’s once again to do with static electricity. 

Are there any Mobile Phones safe to use around petrol pumps?

Yes. You need a mobile phone that is Intrinsically Safe. These devices are what is called ATEX rated. In other words they have been designed and tested to work in dangerous areas where the risk of fire and explosion is high....

We supply a range of ATEX rated smartphones by Conquest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I’m really bad about remembering to switch my phone off inflight, but I always smile when i get massages, ‘welcome to Greece’, they really have massive antennas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I too always smile when I get massages, but Thailand not Greece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Aren't there airlines that sell you phone minutes at high cost in-flight, so actually encouraging phone use? I'm not talking about wifi, but essentially a small phone network cell inside the plane.

Though I believe even those will ask for them to be turned off/put in Airplane Mode during take-off and landing.

Absolute and complete BS. Written by a company that wants to flog you something you don't need.

Do not believe stuff just because it comes up 1st on google.

Here's what the FCC says "The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) states there is no evidence that these reports are true. While it may be “theoretically possible for a spark from a cell phone battery to ignite gas vapor,” the FCC concludes the potential threat is remote."

And snopes - https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fuelish-pleasures/

They can be a distraction and even with auto cut off, fuel can spill out. And it is this reason why it is recommended that phones are not used while refueling.

People create scare stories and these catch the imagination of the public and then become "fact". But cell phones don't cause fuel station fires, they don't cause aircraft issue and chalk outside your house / cable tie on your gate / yellow ribbon on your tree does not mean your dog / cat will be stolen by travellers nor will it be burgled that night.

But no matter how you show people that these are myths, too many people will still believe it - hundreds of thousands still believe the earth is flat!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

When it comes to switching your phone to flight mode there are really three reasons:

1. It MIGHT cause interference, it hasn't been conclusively proven either way but aviation is an extremely risk averse business .
    2. It is distracting in the critical phases of flight. Taking a phone call during an evacuation is no bueno. This is probably the most important reason.
    3. It is bothersome to other passengers if you are yapping on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

They cost an absolute fortune in the airlines that provide services.

Below is an article which comprehensively explains questions asked here. For anyone to suggest it’s “rubbish” regarding threat in air safety, it is known that it could theoretically pose a risk but to date there has been no aircraft accident attributed to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Mythbusters had an episode around this a good few years ago (full episode here), from memory on unshielded systems or wiring or some analogue gauges, mobile phones can cause interference but when they tested it on a relatively new (possibly early 2000s?) plane, they couldn't affect the systems. I think they basically put it down to every system needing to be tested with every phone on sale to be absolutely sure it won't cause issues and it's just not worth the hassle. Surely people can last the average length of a flight with their phone on airplane mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was semi-common in the US and Canada to have a payphone per row of seats from the 70s to the 10s.

The MD11 I flew on in their last year of service had the ability to make phone calls (with credit card) using the remote handset for the seat-back TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

Yes I remember passengers on some of the planes involved in 9/11 making calls to family members.

Did they frequently cause arguments? Judging by public transport these days, where people regularly suffer in silence through other passengers putting calls on loudspeaker and playing (usually awful) music at full blast I'm not sure it would cause many rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People are rarely on public transport for 3-8 hours at a time.

And all those people on 9/11 ended up killing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 2zefirki

In Ryanair,when aircraft autoland is taking place the captain instructs cabin crew to make an announcement to the passengers about the phones to be turned off completely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If interference from phones was a real thing, they would confiscate phones at the start of a flight.

Some planes had air phones. Remember Die Hard 2 where John called Holly from a payphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

That's a fair point, I hadn't thought about the difference in duration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement