Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pear tree issue

Options
  • 26-05-2024 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

hi!

My two pear trees seem to have random blackening of leaves.

I googled it and fire blight popped up which sounds very worrying but then i also read that its rare in ireland so hopefully not that?

Im attaching 2 pics.

I found some curled leaves and when i uncurled them a tiny spider was inside, but i’m unsure if this is related to the black leaves or not.

They’re intensely black as you can see in pics.

Both planted last year and are surrounded bu other fruit trees.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a pear tree that does the same thing, though the leaves blacken completely, usually the tip of a branch. I also thought it was fireblight but it does not seem to affect the pears once they have started to grow - sometimes a little spray of very new ones whither, but once they have started to swell they make perfect pears. I have stopped worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DRedSky

@looksee

Thanks that’s great to hear!
    i’d be happy with that result, if it doesn’t cause any harm or stop it fruiting then that will do me too!

Cheers!

Advertisement