Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for mobile broadband wireless

Options
  • 26-05-2024 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a router to buy that i can use to provide wifi on my laptop ,

unfortunately i cannot get wired broadband installed where i am now, i can get a good signal on eir or vodafone network.

i would need at least 80g data per month.

eg i presume i put my sim card inside the router then the router can be used on my laptop windows 10 using its wifi adaptor .

is there a dongle that i can buy that plugs into my laptop that would provide internet acess .

i,d prefer to not sign a contract,

eg just spend approx 20 euro on credit every month .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a huge range of 4G/5G routers out there. I recently replaced a Huawei unit with an ASUS unit that has more features; 90 quid in Powercity or 100 in Currys/Harvey Norman; this would be high end - there are much cheaper ones.

I have a 48 SIM in it, it was autodetected with the correct settings so was online in seconds. This costs me 10.99 a month, I'm not sure what the new customer price is.

USB dongles still exist but are not as common these days, there's also pocket sized/battery based wireless routers, sometimes called "mifi" as that was a brand used in their early days, but its not a real name

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My brother has a B818 4G router with a €10 per calendar month GoMo SIM (now €15), with external aerial.

120 GB per month, beyond that the speed drops to 5 Mbps (unlimited download) until the start of the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Lots of choice as posted above. I went with a 2nd hand Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 which I bought at CEX for use with GoMo, before that I was using a 4G router, can't remember the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

if i buy huawei router does, that mean i can use an eir sim ,gomo sim,or vodafone sim in it ,if its a 5g router .?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Advertisement
Advertisement