Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip your hairdresser?

Options
  • 27-05-2024 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have been going to the same hairdresser for around 10 years however she is now retiring and I have an appointment with another hairdresser (at a different salon) who has been recommended to me.

With regard to tipping, I have, for many years, tipped €5 for each visit regardless of whether I get just a blowdry or a cut and blowdry.

The new salon charges €75 for a cut and blowdry which is pretty expensive (I think!) however I am happy to pay if I like the cut. I would like to stop tipping, other than perhaps a tenner at Christmas, but wonder would this be very odd. Do most people still tip these days despite rising costs?

If the answer is yes then I will continue with the €5 tip, I don't want to appear to be mean!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I used to tip a fiver most times when I went to hairdresser but she has gone up by about 15e in the last year, so I'm no longer tipping. I really don't think it's necessary, you are paying enough. My hairdresser works for herself too so all the money is hers. I might still give something at Christmas but that's just a once off obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭apache

I used to always tip a tenner,not anymore. Just about had enough money on me today to cover the eye watering bill. Crazy money. I can't afford to tip anymore. I never got tipped in any job I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

No, I think they charge enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I’ve been tipping 5 for decades, starting when I was living in the US, so it was more expected there. I’m torn between wondering if I should just stop, especially with mad hair salon prices, or on the opposite extreme, increase the amount since the percentage has been falling! Making it even more complicated is that the current place I’m going, at least, said they I can’t do it by card (Revolut on my phone), and I rarely use cash for anything else, so have to get out a 20 from an ATM and break it every few visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm just thinking about this at the moment. I used to give €3/€4 tip to my hairdresser for cut and blowdry but the salon increased prices so much after Covid I stopped going. At my new salon which is almost €15 cheaper I will give €2 to the junior who washes my hair and €2 to the lady who cuts and styles. As I am a pensioner I can't give more, and if the price goes up very high I won't give a tip at all. I know a pensioner in her 90's who gives €5 each to two staff which is absolutely shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

yes used to tip €5 every time but like others have said the cost has gone up by about €20 so in the last 12 months or so I haven’t. Everything has gone up by so much, can’t justify it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Titanium11

No I don't tip

Advertisement