Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension Valuations For Separation

Options
  • 27-05-2024 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

We are early stages of separation. I have a defined contribution pension pot and my ex has a public sector pension.

With mine there is an asset value while my ex it will define be a lump sum on retirement and the annual pension. In the course of separation either agreed or by judge, with public sector pensions do they ever calculate an asset value so it can be compared easily to a define contribution scheme? If not how do they compare them in terms of splitting the assets up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

Im in same boat just now, but sorry cant shed any light on it…

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes they do put a notional cash value on the public service pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dumb Juan

Thanks @Henry Ford III do you have any idea how public sector pension is valued or do I need to hire a pension expert?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I do but would advise you to ask your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dumb Juan

Thanks @Henry Ford III just out of curiosity, I would be hardly be so lucky as it would be a simple sum such as multiply the PS lump sum by 4 (In a private dc scheme you are allowed take 25% of the fund value out as a lump sum, subject to maximum fund values) and that would give you a capital value.

But knowing the public sector it is way more complex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement