Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ac adapter Question on compatibility

Options
  • 27-05-2024 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

hi folks

My mothers little radio needs a new adapter as the old one has crumbled at both ends of the cable.

It’s not an expensive item but sentimental to her and just looking there online they are about €15 delivered,I’d say the radio only cost a bit more than that!

The question I have is on this only spare one I have would it be compatible with it,6V in on the radio.

The pin is the slightly longer one which is perfect just didn’t want to make it worse by plugging in the wrong adapter 😊

Tia!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, its 12V and could destroy the radio

Its also Australian, so won't fit in to a socket here.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

ok thanks,I had a travel a travel plug adapter for it,will keep searching or at this stage just upgrade the little radio 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I take it you have her termporarily sorted with a set of 4 X 1.5V (probably AA) batteries?

Power City sell a multivoltage mains adapter which comes with a set of 8 DC plugs, you can set the voltage and polarity to match your appliance's requirements. If you can't source a genuine replacement from Akai, this would be the next best option.

This gadget can supply up to 1,500 mA, your mother's radio needs 1,000 mA so it's well within it's range. Before you connect it to the radio, make sure you have the voltage and polarity set correctly. The polarity will be indicated on a symbol on the Akai adapter, in the same area as the mains pins. In some cases it's also shown on the appliance beside the DC socket but in your case it's not, it just says 'IN DC 6V'.

https://www.powercity.ie/product/042335

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Thank you thats more than helpful,i actually just upgraded her to a slightly better Bush one similar style and she's delighted!

Advertisement