Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on refurb'ing laptop.

Options
  • 28-05-2024 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I have an old work laptop (Toshiba Tecra) where the hard drive has been removed (security issue). I was thinking of replacing it and maybe upgrading the RAM. I am a bit of a newbie here and wonder if there is any point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Think you'd need to find the model number for an informed opinion.

Also, what would it be used for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

Your best bet is to pop the laptop model details into the crucial.eu website to see what the max suportable RAM is and the SSD options.

Otherwise I would suggest dropping it into the recycling bin in the likes of Powercity or similar and perhaps looking for a good (albeit used) laptop on adverts.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

The model number is A40-C-1KF.

To be honest it really isn't a money saving exercise. I would hate to bin it and there is a local charity that brings laptops to Africa. I thought it would tick a lot of boxes to repair it and give it to a good home

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

9th gen intel upto 16gb likely ddr 4 2666 speed 2 slots

and a sata ssd 512gb id say

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

There's a fella in Stillorgan who upgraded the ram on my best up Lenovo ideapad z500.

Will pm you later if I locate the business card he gave me.

Just bear in mind the refurbishers here in Ireland would'nt be as good as the repair shops say in the US.

If you are pushed to " trade in " your laptop avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

if its 9th gen it would be windows 11 compatable and better than most of the stuff on sale 2nd hand

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think these could be up to 8 years old. If it's in good condition, then maybe one of those charities can take it. I wouldn't bother upgrading it yourself. They'll have memory and ssds available. It may be useful for parts for them too.

Advertisement